Foundling (Monster Blood Tattoo, Book 1) by…

Foundling (Monster Blood Tattoo, Book 1) (original 2006; edition 2007)

by D.M. Cornish

Member:MsRybo5
Title:Foundling (Monster Blood Tattoo, Book 1)
Authors:D.M. Cornish
Info:Speak (2007), Paperback, 448 pages

Foundling by D. M. Cornish (2006)

Recently added byprivate library, JazMinderr, ladyofbadgers

English (39)  Swedish (1)  All languages (40)
Full review: http://tenaciousreader.wordpress.com/2013/12/27/foundling-by-d-m-cornish/

Pretty much, not sure why I gave this book 2 whole stars. It's a gigantic info dump, a character that acts and is treated like a child much younger than I think he was actually supposed to be. It's message is as subtle as a billy club to the face. The concept was the only thing about this book that worked for me. ( )
  tenaciousreader | May 24, 2014 |
I liked the world-building in Foundling best of all. Unfortunately the characters and plotting did not live up to its high standard. I'm still interested in the next book in the series in the hopes the characters will improve and the world remain equally interesting. ( )
  thermopyle | Dec 13, 2013 |
Rossamund - a boy - has an unfortunate name. When he is recruited to be a lamplighter, he begins an adventure in reaching the lamplighters facility. Full of adventure and magic this was a fun audio book. ( )
  hoosgracie | Jul 23, 2013 |
Having grown up in a home for foundlings and possessing a girl's name, Rossamund sets out to report to his new job as a lamplighter - a soldier who protects the empire's roads from all evil. He has several adventures along the way as he meets people and monsters who are more complicated that he imagined. I really enjoyed the characters and their relationships amongst each other. I've seen it compared to Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, and I have to agree. ( )
  SparklePonies | Apr 22, 2013 |
Wow. And, um, wow again. I am seriously impressed by this book. It has many of the elements of a Proper Fairy Tale–the young hero sets out on a journey, not knowing his true identity, etc–but they are treated in such a masterful way that I never felt annoyed by them. Rossamund (the ‘u’ needs an umlaut, but I don’t know how to add them :( ), our hero, is both endearing and interesting. And the world-building! Good grief. It’s impressive in the Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell way–I found myself comparing the two several times. Cornish’s drawings are gorgeous and contribute greatly to the sense of the Half-Continent as a real place, inhabited by real people... Full review: Foundling

-----

I cannot possibly say too many good things about this book. The worldbuilding is incredible, as it ought to be given that Cornish spent something like ten years developing it. Rossamund is a great main character, full of pluck and determination. It’s a massive and consuming book and I oh so very highly recommend it. As an added bonus, Cornish is the author of probably my favorite quote about writing fantasy as a Christian. [2010 in books]

maureene87 | Apr 4, 2013 |

D. M. Cornishprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lindgren, NilleTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chapter 1:

foundling (noun) also wastrel. Stray people, usually children, found without a home or shelter on the streets of cities or even, amazingly, wandering exposed in the wilds. The usual destinations for such orphaned children are workhouses, mills, or the mines, although a fortunate few may find their way to a foundlingery. Such a place can care for a small number of foundlings and wastrels, fitting them for a more productive life and sparing them the agonies of harder labor.
For Will and Mandii,
who were the first to believe
Rossamünd was a boy with a girl's name.

Rossamünd, a young boy with a girl’s name, has never known his parents, and has lived his entire life at Madame Opera’s Estimable Marine Society for Foundling Boys and Girls, shielded from the horrors of the outside world. When he comes of age, however, a mysterious leer named Mr Sebastipole offers him a job as a lamplighter along the monster-fraught Wormway, far to the south. With his trusty almanac to guide him, Rossamünd must journey to High Vesting in the state of Brandenbrass, down the black waters of the Humour river, led by mysterious and sinister companions that are more often foe than friend. The outside world is a terrible, dangerous place for a young Foundling boy.

Meet Rossamünd?a foundling, a boy with a girl?s name who is about to begin a dangerous life in the service of the Emperor of the Half-Continent. What starts as a simple journey becomes a dangerous and complicated set of battles and decisions. Humans, monsters, unearthly creatures . . . who among these can Rossamünd trust? D. M. Cornish has created an entirely original world, grounded in his own deft, classically influenced illustrations. Foundling is a magic-laced, Dickensian adventure that will transport the reader.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:53:47 -0400)

Having grown up in a home for foundlings and possessing a girl's name, Rossamünd sets out to report to his new job as a lamplighter and has several adventures along the way as he meets people and monsters who are more complicated that he previously thought.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,159,881 books! | Top bar: Always visible