The Pirate of Kindergarten by George Ella…

The Pirate of Kindergarten (2010)

by George Ella Lyon, Lynne Avril (Illustrator)

I remember being 5 or 6 years old and my older brother needed glasses. Some of my friends in class started wearing glasses too. So I thought it was my turn to get a pair. My mom took me to the eye doctor and they told her I don't need glasses, I had 20/20 vision and I still do today. I left crying, I wanted glasses so bad like my brother and school friends. I love how Ginny turns the eye patch into something positive; it's not a crutch or something that holds her back. Now she can actually see what she's doing and can act like everyone else. This is a great book for students who have to get glasses. A lot of children don't like having to rely on this or can get bullied for it. This book shows the positive effect glasses have. ( )
  ekorominas | Apr 8, 2019 |
Ginny wants to participate in all the kindergarten activities, especially reading, so she can't understand why it's so much harder for her than the other kids. Ginny soon discovers that she has double vision. With her new eye patch, Ginny may the pirate of kindergarten, but she's a pirate that can see and read just fine. Ginny's positive attitude and enthusiasm are admirable. ( )
  adrouet | Mar 20, 2019 |
THE PIRATE OF KINDERGARTEN is an adorable book about a kindergarten girl who has double vision. In the beginning, she is struggling to read and tripping over things and it seems that neither she or her teacher realize why exactly she is having these problems. After a vision test at school, Ginny is diagnosed with double vision and receives an eyepatch to help train her eyes. thus becoming "the pirate of kindergarten." I love that Ginny chooses to call her self that and puts a positive spin on what some might see as an embarrassing situation. I also appreciated Ginny's love of reading and how her excitement about being able to read books more efficiently aided in her acceptance of the eye patch. The illustrations are so cute and bright, and also give the reader insight into how Ginny sees her surroundings. ( )
  chunter3 | Mar 14, 2019 |
I really thought this was a very cute book. It is very interesting that the book talks about double vision. I haven’t heard of double vision before reading this book. I think this would be a nice book to talk about because it’s not the typical vision impairment. They also don’t talk about the double vision in a bad way. In fact, she doesn’t need surgery, so she gets to wear an eyepatch and pretend to be a pirate while she has to wear it. I think she enjoyed getting to be a pirate all the time. The only issue I have with this book is that they talk about it being something that has to be fixed, but I guess you can’t keep running into things your whole life and having to close one eye every time you do anything. Also they didn’t talk about fixing double vision in a rude way. I would definitely use this book in a classroom, because despite the one thing, it is a great book and will definitely help children understand double vision. I thought it was cool that the illustrations showed everything in double in order for the reader to see things the way Ginny saw them. ( )
  cnemetz | Nov 7, 2018 |
I really enjoyed this book because unlike the other emotional stories regarding the disability of the student, this book portrays well on the challenges and the resolution of the main character, Ginny. Also, the words used in this book is appropriate for younger children. The story is organized in a way, so that children can visualize in their head what will happen to the main character. After reading this book, students may be able to understand and give more empathy for students struggling with this kind of problem. Also, students going through these struggles may have a book they can reflect on. I would use this in my classroom because children can not only relate to this story, but also they can learn about the beginning, middle and end of the story. ( )
  soh8 | Oct 15, 2018 |

Lyon, George EllaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Avril, LynneIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
For everyone who sees the world differently - G. E. L.

To Wowie D. and Mackie (and Sydney, I'm sorry I stole your glasses) - L. A.
Ginny loved Reading Circle.

Ginny's eyes play tricks on her, making her see everything double, but when she goes to vision screening at school and discovers that not everyone sees this way, she learns that her double vision can be cured.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,304,651 books! | Top bar: Always visible