The Last Christian by David Gregory

The Last Christian (2010)

by David Gregory

religious end of the world type novel. A staple of the wiseacre "knowledge" that was spooned out to many of us in school was that millennial or apocalyptic expectations have been a delusion common to all generations, based on ignorance and stress. I wonder just how accurate that is. Two days before I got this book, I listened to an item on NPR about some laboratory in New York that has succeeded in cloning human "embryos" (their word). A "bioethicist" from a university in Ohio explained rather nonchalantly that anybody worried by this is obviously ignorant and wrongheaded. I understand that various would be prophets have predicted doom many a time in the past, but it does seem, and I emphasize seem, that the coming challenges are qualitatively different from those the world has faced in the past.

The book was ok--no worse than the usual supermarket rack "thriller", but it got along without the usual coarseness and pointless violence.
  cstebbins | Oct 9, 2011 |
Why I started reading: A friend gave me an ARC of this book and it had been on my to-be-read shelf for quite awhile. When I learned it was nominated for a Christy, I thought I should get around to reading it.

Plot: Abby Caldwell, raised in an isolated jngle tribe flees to the outside world to seek help ofr her tribe when a mysterious illness sweepstrough her village. what she emerges into is a world where technology rules, human brains can now be replaced with a silcon replica, and God is a thing of the past. Abby is just about the last Christian on the planet, but God calls her to speak boldly for Him in a country that has no interest in hearing.

Why I kept reading: The fast-paced, movie-style plot was suspenseful and a bit frightening at times. Plus, I wanted to know how the characters would fare at the end of the book. I think the theology of the book was a bit off in some places. Outside of that, though, I like that the author kept me guessing about the loyalties of some characters. He wove a number of story lines together quite neatly and left the reader both hopeful and war of what future evil might rear its ugly head after the novel's ending.

Recommended for those who like fiction set in the future. Also to fans of books like the Left Behind series. ( )
  librarian4Him02 | Aug 3, 2011 |
Very interesting book. A missionary kid who has been raised in the jungle of Papua New Guinea and never been away from her village goes for help when her village is sick. She ends up going back to America to find that Christianity has died out. Her grandparents leave her a message telling her they think God wants to use her to bring Christianity back to America. She faces a completely different world than the one she is used to. This is set in the future - 2088, so technology has advanced considerably.

Neuroscience has advanced to the point that they have discovered a way to create a silicon brain, upload software of the human and then transplant the silicon brain into the human in place of the biological brain. Most diseases have been cured so people are living a long time, but eventually the brain wears out. By transplanting to the silicon brain, basically living forever is offered as an option. This is the society that Abby faces to try and convince to turn back to God and Christianity.

The book started getting suspenseful towards the end as Abby's life became in danger and I ended up staying up late to find out what happens. A great read, futuristic yet suspenseful, with a little romance thrown in.

*I received this book from a blog giveaway. ( )
  twiga92 | Jul 13, 2011 |
That people downloading their (brain (person) in a silicon brain with the consequences of losing their spirit and, as a result, their connection with God is nota credible premise. Those who transfered their brains didn't seem less human but still showed emotion and morality, which is impossible without the human spirit, in my opinion. To lose your spirit is to lose your whole humanity. The book did not make me eager to read the next page, the characters were not interesting, and the ending was not memorable (forgot how it did and and I just finished reading it last night). The idea that America totally abandoned their founding father's faith in God was a good idea to start with but the approach the author took with it was unappealing. ( )
  atdCross | Apr 13, 2011 |
Very interesting read on a time in the future where God has been abandoned and the human race is trying out artificial brains. ( )
  autumnesf | Feb 15, 2011 |
To my dad
"I see your neurons firing, Ray."

Abby, a Christian missionary raised in New Guinea, goes to America only to discover a nation where Christianity has completely died out. She must face the spiritual implications of transhumanity-- humans with replacement silicon brains that promise eternal life but make impossible personal connection with God.… (more)

5 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,477,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible