The Confession by John Grisham

The Confession

by John Grisham

2,6631112,238 (3.72)1 / 35
    Moment of Truth by Lisa Scottoline (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you like dramatic and suspenseful legal thrillers in which an attorney must prove the obvious untrue, you may like The Confession and Moment of Truth. Additionally, the difficulty of manipulating opinion plays into both stories.

English (106)  German (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (110)
I really enjoy John Grisham, and this one is no exception. He has a way of gripping your attention from the beginning. Good story, well written, nothing totally out of the ordinary however very enjoyable. Unfortunately, that sounds like a back-handed compliment, but it's not. ( )
  debbie-1955 | May 7, 2016 |
From the very first sentences I knew that this book would be a quick read as I was drawn ever deeper into the world of Texas Justice and death row. The imminent death of a convicted murderer and the unlikely characters who aim to save his life make this intriguing story one which keeps the reader up late at night wanting to turn the next page to discover what happens next.

While this is a wonderful work of fiction, the harsh reality of life is that many convicted murderers claim innocence. Some are. Society needs to make sure that the convicted person is, in fact, guilty of the crime for which they have been convicted.
  DCarlin | Jan 22, 2016 |
Didnt met my expectations... Loved Grisham's Broker, Partner and other books.... but, for me, this book was not even close. I think expected much from it!!! ( )
  Bipin_Banavalikar | Jan 22, 2016 |
Another fast-moving, nail-biting Grisham book. It got a little slow at the end, but on the other hand, I wanted all the loose ends wrapped up. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Definitely not one of my favorite Grisham books though it did make me think about the death penalty and how I feel about it. I believe this is the third book Grisham has written which was focused on the death penalty. It made me cry. ( )
  CassandraSabo | Dec 5, 2015 |
There’s a lot of padding in “The Confession.” The story’s outcome is invested with surprisingly little suspense. And the climactic moments play out long before the book is over. So this is a solid yet sluggish novel that is not one of Mr. Grisham’s barnburners.

John Grishamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sowers, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The custodian at St. Mark's had just scraped three inches of snow off the sidewalks when the man with the cane appeared.

For every innocent man sent to prison, there is a guilty one left on the outside. He doesn’t understand how the police and prosecutors got the wrong man, and he certainly doesn’t care. He just can’t believe his good luck. Time passes and he realizes that the mistake will not be corrected: the authorities believe in their case and are determined to get a conviction. He may even watch the trial of the person wrongly accused of his crime. He is relieved when the verdict is guilty. He laughs when the police and prosecutors congratulate themselves. He is content to allow an innocent person to go to prison, to serve hard time, even to be executed.

Travis Boyette is such a man. In 1998, in the small East Texas city of Sloan, he abducted, raped, and strangled a popular high school cheerleader. He buried her body so that it would never be found, then watched in amazement as police and prosecutors arrested and convicted Donté Drumm, a local football star, and marched him off to death row.

Now nine years have passed. Travis has just been paroled in Kansas for a different crime; Donté is four days away from his execution. Travis suffers from an inoperable brain tumor. For the first time in his miserable life, he decides to do what’s right and confess.

But how can a guilty man convince lawyers, judges, and politicians that they’re about to execute an innocent man?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:06 -0400)

When Travis Boyette is paroled because of inoperable brain tumor, for the first time in his life, he decides to do the right thing and tell police about a crime he committed and another man is about to be executed for.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,391,996 books! | Top bar: Always visible