The Confession by John Grisham

The Confession

by John Grisham, Scott Sowers (Narrator), Scott Sowers (Narrator)

2,272972,813 (3.72)1 / 31
    Moment of Truth by Lisa Scottoline (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you like dramatic and suspenseful legal thrillers in which an attorney must prove the obvious untrue, you may like The Confession and Moment of Truth. Additionally, the difficulty of manipulating opinion plays into both stories.

English (92)  German (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (96)
I didn't like this one as well as some of his others, but it wasn't horrible. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Good not great. I borrowed this from a friend after she said she didn't like the story or the characters. I actually enjoyed the book for the most part. Grisham was a little heavy handed with the anti-death penalty rhetoric. I can't say I liked any of the characters...well, Donte, ok...but I don't think you need to like the characters you read to have a good reading experience. Also, I know for a fact that there are at least two Texas cases that this story is partially based on. That alone makes for a very sad, chilling reminder that our justice system is not infallible. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 21, 2014 |
Clearly not the best Grisham, but nevertheless touching on an important topic. The story is quite linear and straightforward, and works as an undisguised medium to carry the author's condemnation of the death penalty. While a valuable enterprise, the feeble storytelling is unworthy of all the other Grisham books I've read. ( )
  timtom | Jun 27, 2014 |
Ehhh. It wasn't my favorite Grisham. I really enjoyed parts 1 & 2, but part three was just so explicationexplicationexplication. I had to really push myself through it. Additionally, I don't love when I feel like an author's using a book as a political tract (whether I agree or not), so the end just left me feeling very blah.

That said, I usually really like Grisham's writing, and more than half the book was up to his usual standard and held my interest really well. So 3 stars. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
The Confession? Worth a read but not in the John Grisham league. Would have thought he'd have the experience not to stretch this one as far as he did. The cover notes tell the whole story really ( )
  Novak | May 9, 2014 |
There’s a lot of padding in “The Confession.” The story’s outcome is invested with surprisingly little suspense. And the climactic moments play out long before the book is over. So this is a solid yet sluggish novel that is not one of Mr. Grisham’s barnburners.

John Grishamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sowers, ScottNarratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sowers, ScottNarratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
The custodian has just scraped three inches of snow off the sidewalks when the man with the cane appeared.

For every innocent man sent to prison, there is a guilty one left on the outside. He doesn’t understand how the police and prosecutors got the wrong man, and he certainly doesn’t care. He just can’t believe his good luck. Time passes and he realizes that the mistake will not be corrected: the authorities believe in their case and are determined to get a conviction. He may even watch the trial of the person wrongly accused of his crime. He is relieved when the verdict is guilty. He laughs when the police and prosecutors congratulate themselves. He is content to allow an innocent person to go to prison, to serve hard time, even to be executed.

Travis Boyette is such a man. In 1998, in the small East Texas city of Sloan, he abducted, raped, and strangled a popular high school cheerleader. He buried her body so that it would never be found, then watched in amazement as police and prosecutors arrested and convicted Donté Drumm, a local football star, and marched him off to death row.

Now nine years have passed. Travis has just been paroled in Kansas for a different crime; Donté is four days away from his execution. Travis suffers from an inoperable brain tumor. For the first time in his miserable life, he decides to do what’s right and confess.

But how can a guilty man convince lawyers, judges, and politicians that they’re about to execute an innocent man?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:58 -0400)

When Travis Boyette is paroled because of inoperable brain tumor, for the first time in his life, he decides to do the right thing and tell police about a crime he committed and another man is about to be executed for.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,345,230 books! | Top bar: Always visible