The Confession by John Grisham

The Confession

by John Grisham

2,8521152,036 (3.71)1 / 38
    Moment of Truth by Lisa Scottoline (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you like dramatic and suspenseful legal thrillers in which an attorney must prove the obvious untrue, you may like The Confession and Moment of Truth. Additionally, the difficulty of manipulating opinion plays into both stories.

English (109)  German (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All (113)
Anticipating a very long plane trip, I looked for an audiobook that would keep me engaged and interested and would last long enough to get me through the return flight. My thoughts immediately went to a John Grisham novel. I like Grisham for a number of reasons, one being that his books never fail to entertain. I chose The Confession, a title that already resided on my shelf (my husband read it years ago). It was a great choice. Not only did it make the miles literally fly by, but it challenged and expanded my beliefs on capital punishment. A controversial topic to be sure, The Confession examines what it means if an innocent man is sentenced to death. All aspects are included: the media circus, the political climate, the heartbreak of the families on both sides, and the spiritual implications of the ultimate punishment. The story is full of twists and turns, the characters are intriguing, and the subject matter handled in a mostly even-handed manner. I think it is safe to say that Grisham writes from an anti-death penalty standpoint, a view that I also hold, though for probably different reasons. Grisham didn’t change my mind about anything, but he did cause me to see the whole process surrounding death penalty cases in a new light. An engrossing read, I recommend The Confession.

The story opens with a confession from career criminal Travis Boyette to a Lutheran pastor. Keith Schroeder doesn’t really know what to do with Travis or his statement that an innocent man is about to be executed in Texas. What follows is a race to bring the confession to light, something that is met with resistance and dismissal from all parties concerned. Travis and Keith are interesting main characters. They cannot be more different — one who has lived a life taking and manipulating, another who earnestly desires to do the right thing. Their unlikely partnership makes for good drama. Grisham’s portrayal of the circus that surrounds the upcoming execution rings true. Media, groupies, politicians, all make the situation bizarre and disturbing. While The Confession is not Christian fiction, three pastors make an appearance and an impact on the story. Keith’s views are, of course, front and center, but Grisham also shares the feelings and thoughts of the pastors of the victim’s family and the accused’s family. The three struggle in varying ways — also very realistic. The Confession is dark, so don’t expect a feel good ending. This book is one to make you think, whichever side of the debate you find yourself on. ( )
  vintagebeckie | May 18, 2017 |
Excellent but sad. Heart wrenching when Roberta is washing her son's body. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
My daughters have been enjoying John Grisham’s “Theodore Boone” series so I decided to pick up one of his books for myself. I hadn’t read one in quite a few years but after reading “The Confession”, I’m sure I’ll go back read the novels I missed. I truly enjoyed reading this book and am looking forward to more. ( )
  lynnski723 | Dec 31, 2016 |
One of John Grisham's best books in recent years. Tight plot, not cliche, simple and yet effective writing. Also simple and yet powerful message - do the right thing like the pastor in the story, and you won't regret it. ( )
  siok | Dec 24, 2016 |
This could have been an interesting subject but the book was too predictable. At some point I realized that I didn't like any of the characters and didn't care what they did or what happened to them. ( )
  400mom | Nov 23, 2016 |
There’s a lot of padding in “The Confession.” The story’s outcome is invested with surprisingly little suspense. And the climactic moments play out long before the book is over. So this is a solid yet sluggish novel that is not one of Mr. Grisham’s barnburners.

John Grishamprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sowers, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
The custodian at St. Mark's had just scraped three inches of snow off the sidewalks when the man with the cane appeared.

For every innocent man sent to prison, there is a guilty one left on the outside. He doesn’t understand how the police and prosecutors got the wrong man, and he certainly doesn’t care. He just can’t believe his good luck. Time passes and he realizes that the mistake will not be corrected: the authorities believe in their case and are determined to get a conviction. He may even watch the trial of the person wrongly accused of his crime. He is relieved when the verdict is guilty. He laughs when the police and prosecutors congratulate themselves. He is content to allow an innocent person to go to prison, to serve hard time, even to be executed.

Travis Boyette is such a man. In 1998, in the small East Texas city of Sloan, he abducted, raped, and strangled a popular high school cheerleader. He buried her body so that it would never be found, then watched in amazement as police and prosecutors arrested and convicted Donté Drumm, a local football star, and marched him off to death row.

Now nine years have passed. Travis has just been paroled in Kansas for a different crime; Donté is four days away from his execution. Travis suffers from an inoperable brain tumor. For the first time in his miserable life, he decides to do what’s right and confess.

But how can a guilty man convince lawyers, judges, and politicians that they’re about to execute an innocent man?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:06 -0400)

When Travis Boyette is paroled because of inoperable brain tumor, for the first time in his life, he decides to do the right thing and tell police about a crime he committed and another man is about to be executed for.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,231,057 books! | Top bar: Always visible