The Confession by John Grisham

The Confession

by John Grisham, Scott Sowers (Narrator), Scott Sowers (Narrator)

2,3061002,752 (3.72)1 / 31
    Moment of Truth by Lisa Scottoline (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you like dramatic and suspenseful legal thrillers in which an attorney must prove the obvious untrue, you may like The Confession and Moment of Truth. Additionally, the difficulty of manipulating opinion plays into both stories.

English (95)  German (2)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (99)
rabck from southernfryed; Wow. A book that leaves you with a lot to think about. Very good, until the last chapter which tied things in a bow too quickly and nicely. Donte is convicted of murdering a white girl, based on his coerced confession. Just days before his execution in Texas, a convict on parole walks into a Lutheran pastors office and says that he did the crime, not Donte, and he wants to make things right. They finally set off on a madcap rush to Texas, so the man can file an affidavit with Donte's lawyer, but it's too late. The governor ignored the video (suppressed by his staffers), the circuit judge closes his office exactly at 5p to play golf, despite knowing this appeal is coming in, the detective swears the confession was not coerced, and the execution of an innocent black man sparks major unrest in the town. Eventually, the true killer leads Donte's lawyer to the body and Donte's is exonerated...after he's dead. I particularly liked the views throughout the book from the pastor, Keith, as he wrestles with something he hadn't really thought through before - What give us the right to kill in the name of justice? Ever? The book affecting me powerfully in getting me to really think about my own position on the death penalty - and if it ever should be used. ( )
  nancynova | Nov 22, 2014 |
“The prosecution’s theory of guilt had been based in part on the desperate hope that one day, someone, somewhere would find Nicole’s body”

A murderer confesses to a minister. A wrongly convicted man is headed for the death chamber. Can justice prevail?

Grisham is pounding on his social justice soapbox loudly with this one: we hit capital punishment, race relations and church bureaucracy. He’s back to his Street Lawyer activism by writing (I think, anyway; it might all be a ploy to sell more copies). And yet there is a sad despondency to it all; nothing really changes. Without wanting to have spoilers, it doesn’t turn out as well as one might hope, and the epilogue suggests that nothing will ever really change.

Grisham is back to writing memorable characters and in The Confession he has two “good guys” worth talking about (my other favourite Grishams had one very strong lead – The Rainmaker, The Street Lawyer, The Testament): Robbie Flak and Keith Schroeder. Robbie is brilliantly combative and tender at once; it is clear that the family of the wrongly accused are very close to his heart, but I wouldn’t want to be a politician in his cross-hairs. Schroeder is the opposite – a softly spoken Kansas church minister with a litany of home commitments, who finds his calling in helping a self-confessed murderer and rapist cross state borders to stop misguided justice’s wheels.

As in The Testament there is no shortage to our comic cast of ridicule; Reena Yarber is one of the truest, least self-aware mountains of hypocrisy I’ve ever come across in literature. That she is prepared to exhaust her family and friends to fuel the spiral of her attention-seeking grief makes her eventual mockery on television cruelly suitable. And as for Boyette – no attempts to redeem him from his sleazy, filthy existence are made, he just trundles along being as disgusting as a cloud of noxious cigarette smoke.

The pace drags a little in the build-up: will Boyette go south or won’t he? The race riots are over-built (although still powerful) and there’s too much time spent in the governor’s office. Otherwise, the plot works well – and I was surprised that the book reached a fully fleshed-out conclusion well after the climax, an unfortunately rare occurrence in thrillers.

If you felt Grisham lost his way with Playing for Pizza and The Painted House, he’s back on the road with this one. ( )
  readingwithtea | Oct 19, 2014 |
The storyline is completely boring, pointless, and unsatisfying. I'd give it one star, but Grisham still knows how to write, he's just apparently forgotten that he needs a good story too. ( )
  piersanti | Sep 28, 2014 |
I didn't like this one as well as some of his others, but it wasn't horrible. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
Good not great. I borrowed this from a friend after she said she didn't like the story or the characters. I actually enjoyed the book for the most part. Grisham was a little heavy handed with the anti-death penalty rhetoric. I can't say I liked any of the characters...well, Donte, ok...but I don't think you need to like the characters you read to have a good reading experience. Also, I know for a fact that there are at least two Texas cases that this story is partially based on. That alone makes for a very sad, chilling reminder that our justice system is not infallible. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 21, 2014 |
There’s a lot of padding in “The Confession.” The story’s outcome is invested with surprisingly little suspense. And the climactic moments play out long before the book is over. So this is a solid yet sluggish novel that is not one of Mr. Grisham’s barnburners.

John Grishamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sowers, ScottNarratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sowers, ScottNarratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
The custodian has just scraped three inches of snow off the sidewalks when the man with the cane appeared.

For every innocent man sent to prison, there is a guilty one left on the outside. He doesn’t understand how the police and prosecutors got the wrong man, and he certainly doesn’t care. He just can’t believe his good luck. Time passes and he realizes that the mistake will not be corrected: the authorities believe in their case and are determined to get a conviction. He may even watch the trial of the person wrongly accused of his crime. He is relieved when the verdict is guilty. He laughs when the police and prosecutors congratulate themselves. He is content to allow an innocent person to go to prison, to serve hard time, even to be executed.

Travis Boyette is such a man. In 1998, in the small East Texas city of Sloan, he abducted, raped, and strangled a popular high school cheerleader. He buried her body so that it would never be found, then watched in amazement as police and prosecutors arrested and convicted Donté Drumm, a local football star, and marched him off to death row.

Now nine years have passed. Travis has just been paroled in Kansas for a different crime; Donté is four days away from his execution. Travis suffers from an inoperable brain tumor. For the first time in his miserable life, he decides to do what’s right and confess.

But how can a guilty man convince lawyers, judges, and politicians that they’re about to execute an innocent man?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:58 -0400)

When Travis Boyette is paroled because of inoperable brain tumor, for the first time in his life, he decides to do the right thing and tell police about a crime he committed and another man is about to be executed for.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,356,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible