The Confession by John Grisham

The Confession

by John Grisham, Scott Sowers (Narrator), Scott Sowers (Narrator)

2,194None2,948 (3.72)1 / 29
2010 (14) 2011 (24) audiobook (8) crime (27) crime fiction (7) death penalty (87) ebook (30) fiction (197) first edition (8) Grisham (11) John Grisham (11) Kansas (10) Kindle (23) Large Print (6) law (18) lawyers (18) legal (33) legal fiction (11) legal thriller (46) murder (23) mystery (67) novel (22) paperback (7) racism (9) read (18) read in 2011 (12) suspense (36) Texas (48) thriller (41) to-read (14)
    Moment of Truth by Lisa Scottoline (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: If you like dramatic and suspenseful legal thrillers in which an attorney must prove the obvious untrue, you may like The Confession and Moment of Truth. Additionally, the difficulty of manipulating opinion plays into both stories.

English (87)  French (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (90)
I always read his books hoping for a happy ending and this one was no different. I held hoping that the right thing would happen and that the wrongly accused man would go free but alas my hopes were dashed as always. I should know better by now. I guess he just writes it as it would happen in reality and in reality most of what happened in the book is all too true unfortunately. Otherwise I loved it.
  Swade0710 | Mar 20, 2014 |
It took a very long time for me to get into this book. The clear march toward tragedy was difficult for me to read. I was glad that it ended better than it might have. Though still tragic. I hope John Grisham's popularity will bring attention to the wrongness of the death penalty. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Good, fast-paced, with a mediocre ending. ( )
  untraveller | Feb 6, 2014 |
I thought this was one of the best Grisham novels since his early classics like A Time to Kill and The Chamber. Like those, this deals with weighty issues such as racism in the criminal justice system and in American society more generally, and the principles behind and application of the death penalty. The plot concerns the nine year imprisonment of a young black man Donte Drumm, after a confession is forced out of him to having murdered his white girlfriend. The action of the story concerns the confession of the real killer in the days leading up Drumm's execution date and the frantic efforts to save the latter from being executed for a crime he did not commit. It's gripping stuff and a great liberal novel, though perhaps not handled with quite the delicacy of those earlier classics. ( )
  john257hopper | Dec 6, 2013 |
The problem with reading clubs is that occasionally someone suggests a dud and one feels forced to finish the book out of courtesy to the other participants. That's what happened here.

I abhor the death penalty. I approve of Grisham's message 100%, but my goodness this book is repetitive and tedious. Not to mention I felt bruised and battered by being hit over the head constantly by the message. I listened to it and found the FF button to be incredibly useful. The irony was I could fast forward 15 minutes and think I hadn't moved forward at all. The characters are stereotypical cardboard cutouts. Their speeches (they don't talk, they proclaim,) are all cookie-cutter, but the dough gets stale quickly. The book would have been much stronger had there been some shades of gray, some ethical tensions. There just are none here.

For example, did the prosecutors and cops set out to kill an innocent man? Of course, not. They were subject to cultural, racial, and political pressures. An examination of the force of those pressures would have made a much more interesting book. And what if there had been no confession? How about an examination of the legal hurdles that prevent uncovering police malfeasance? Or an examination of the Supreme Court's reasoning that innocence is not a defense? (See Connick v Thomson.) To quote Reason Magazine: "Scalia has written in the past that there's nothing in the Constitution to prevent the government from executing an innocent person. He also apparently believes there's no duty for the government to preserve or turn over evidence that would prove a person's innocence. Finally, from Connick we learn he also believes that prosecutors and municipalities shouldn't be held liable to people who are wrongly convicted and imprisoned, either, even if prosecutors knowingly concealed the evidence that would have exonerated them." Now *that* would have made a fascinating book.

I don't like giving negative ratings and usually don't review books I didn't like, but in this case I resent the time spent listening to this; it was like trying to move through quicksand. Be interesting to see what the rest of the group thinks, especially since they are a particularly high-minded literary group.

Do you suppose the moderator got it wrong and it should have been Augustine's Confessions?

ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
There’s a lot of padding in “The Confession.” The story’s outcome is invested with surprisingly little suspense. And the climactic moments play out long before the book is over. So this is a solid yet sluggish novel that is not one of Mr. Grisham’s barnburners.

John Grishamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sowers, ScottNarratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Sowers, ScottNarratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
The custodian has just scraped three inches of snow off the sidewalks when the man with the cane appeared.

For every innocent man sent to prison, there is a guilty one left on the outside. He doesn’t understand how the police and prosecutors got the wrong man, and he certainly doesn’t care. He just can’t believe his good luck. Time passes and he realizes that the mistake will not be corrected: the authorities believe in their case and are determined to get a conviction. He may even watch the trial of the person wrongly accused of his crime. He is relieved when the verdict is guilty. He laughs when the police and prosecutors congratulate themselves. He is content to allow an innocent person to go to prison, to serve hard time, even to be executed.

Travis Boyette is such a man. In 1998, in the small East Texas city of Sloan, he abducted, raped, and strangled a popular high school cheerleader. He buried her body so that it would never be found, then watched in amazement as police and prosecutors arrested and convicted Donté Drumm, a local football star, and marched him off to death row.

Now nine years have passed. Travis has just been paroled in Kansas for a different crime; Donté is four days away from his execution. Travis suffers from an inoperable brain tumor. For the first time in his miserable life, he decides to do what’s right and confess.

But how can a guilty man convince lawyers, judges, and politicians that they’re about to execute an innocent man?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:58 -0400)

When Travis Boyette is paroled because of inoperable brain tumor, for the first time in his life, he decides to do the right thing and tell police about a crime he committed and another man is about to be executed for.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,411,061 books! | Top bar: Always visible