Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer by John Grisham

Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer

by John Grisham

I really wanted to like this one. I like John Grisham. But, the things I like about Grisham - minute details about the law process, characters built with lots of background and history, don't work in a young adult book. Or rather the lack of those writing elements sort of make the story fall flat.

The premise is a good one.
Theodore, son of two lawyers and nephew of a third, LOVES the law and all the trappings. He has his own tiny office in his parent's office, is on first name basis with everyone from the secretaries to the security guard to the most important judge at the court house, and hands out free law advice to any fellow student who asks. His advice seems to be sound and based on a vast knowledge of the system and unlimited access to web info through passwords and codes available from his parents.

So far, so good.

There is a huge murder trial in town - a husband is accused of murdering his wife. But, the evidence is all circumstantial. Theodore is able to get tickets for his government class to attend the opening day arguments through all his connections.

Then Theodore is told a secret. Can you hear the ominous piano music in the background as this happens?

This secret is so big the entire trial will hinge on it. But, unlike surprise witnesses on TV (you know that isn't really real) Theodore must play by the rules. He must decide what to do with the information - it could be the difference between a conviction or an acquittal.

The most frustrating part of this book is the end...
Let me just say SERIES...

My vote is not over the top. It's interesting, quick and will catch those kids who enjoy all the law and order shows on TV, but it's isn't his best! ( )
  kebets | Sep 14, 2015 |
I was sent some copies of this story for my Chatterbooks group, along with a competition that has a closing date in June. So I rearranged my reading schedule so that I could read this before giving it to my group at the May meeting. It sounded intriguing and I was really looking forward to it. I soon got into it. I was a little worried that an author known for adult thrillers would have trouble connecting with a younger readership. If anything, it was a little too superficial. Theo is almost too good to be true.
One personal niggle. He's given flaws - like braces on his teeth and not being sporty - presumably to make him less perfect. Yet he races all over town on his bike and never once needs to take his inhaler for his asthma!
Nevertheless, for the most part, I quite enjoyed it. Grisham's legal background shines through, his knowledge of legal procedures is clear on every page. It was an interesting, well paced story, but I found myself rather dissatisfied with the ending. It felt rushed, as if Grisham had achieved a pre-set page count and just tacked on an ending. Whilst some things really didn't need to be seen to be 'taken as read', there were elements that felt too left up in the air, such as the explanation as to exactly how the enigmatic Omar Cheepe was involved in everything. I'm hoping perhaps he'll feature in book 2 and all will become clear.
I wonder what my group will make of it? ( )
  Helen_Earl | Aug 6, 2015 |
To be honest I didn't realise this was a book aimed at younger readers.
OK book but I found Theo annoying and not like a real person I have ever met.
Theo helps stop a murder case. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Apr 4, 2015 |
The book, Theodore Boone kid lawyer, is about a kid named Theodore who wants to be a lawyer or a judge being that his parents are both lawyers. Theodore helps his classmates out with solving problems concerning the law like older brothers getting put into jail, losing a house because of late payments, family issues and other problems. That’s when a murder happens (the first in a long time.) and the most likely suspect is Mr. Duffy the husband of the victim. Theodore visits the homeless shelter for poor immigrants every Tuesday. He also helps the older kids with homework. One of the kids, Julio, asks Theodore if he knew the law. Theodore of course says yes, and then asked," Why?" Julio said, that he might know something important about the murder. The next day at school his friend, April, is having problems with choosing which parent she wants to live with. During lunch one of the popular girls in school walks up to Theodore crying because her dog was taken to the pound for violating the no leash permit and asks him for help. Two days later, Theodore meets up with Julio to help with Pre-algebra when Julio’s cousin walks in to talk with Julio. Theodore, Julio, and Julio’s cousin talk about the crime scene, who the suspects are, and where did he find out about the murder. Theodore tells the judge there is a witness that no one knew about. The witness has evidence that proves the suspect is guilty.

This book is an exciting murder mystery by John Grisham. Grisham has a wonderful way of writing a story with details, descriptions and the story flows smoothly. The way he adds in the senses with parts like the breakfast of pancakes and sausages, or when Theodore gets stared at by the suspect’s lawyer, there is a feeling of tenstion in the air. Grisham also shows the different courts of the judicial area such as animal court, family divorce court, drunks and druggy court. This books would be great for kids in the 7th grade at my reading level. The amount of chapters is satisfying for me because I like books with 20-30 chapters, maybe more sometimes. . I also liked how the characters each held a position throughout the whole book. The final thing I want to say is that John Grisham is a really good writer.
  EthanV.B1 | Oct 19, 2014 |
Grisham writes for a younger audience, but still has that cloak and dagger intrigue that is his signature. However, like all other authors who are writing for younger readers, this story is left somewhat hanging.... so.... it's another 'series' in the making.
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
Grisham tells his story scrupulously, explaining fine points of criminal law and, as far as I can tell (not being a lawyer myself), sticking to legal reality. As a civics lesson it goes down smoothly, as storytelling only partly so. There’s a reason that movies and TV shows about attorneys are full of courtroom baloney — it’s entertaining!
for Shea
Theodore Boone was an only child and for that reason usually had breakfast alone.

A perfect murder
A faceless witness
A lone courtroom champion knows the whole truth . . . and he’s only thirteen years old
Meet Theodore Boone

In the small city of Strattenburg, there are many lawyers, and though he’s only thirteen years old, Theo Boone thinks he’s one of them. Theo knows every judge, policeman, court clerk—and a lot about the law. He dreams of being a great trial lawyer, of a life in the courtroom.

But Theo finds himself in court much sooner than expected. Because he knows so much—maybe too much—he is suddenly dragged into the middle of a sensational murder trial. A cold-blooded killer is about to go free, and only Theo knows the truth.

The stakes are high, but Theo won’t stop until justice is served.

Brimming with the intrigue and suspense that made John Grisham a #1 international bestseller and the undisputed master of the legal thriller, Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer will keep readers guessing and pages turning.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:32 -0400)

With two attorneys for parents, thirteen-year-old Theodore Boone knows more about the law than most lawyers do. But when a high profile murder trial comes to his small town and Theo gets pulled into it, it's up to this amateur attorney to save the day.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,944,556 books! | Top bar: Always visible