The Charming Quirks of Others: An Isabel…

The Charming Quirks of Others: An Isabel Dalhousie Novel (7) (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Alexander McCall Smith

Member:willowhistle
Title:The Charming Quirks of Others: An Isabel Dalhousie Novel (7)
Authors:Alexander McCall Smith
Info:Anchor (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 272 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, ebook

The Charming Quirks of Others by Alexander McCall Smith (2010)

Another good time spent with my friends Isabele, Jamie and Charlie in Edinburgh. As usual Isabele gets involved unraveling a mystery. ( )
  GeoffSC | May 31, 2015 |
This book was another good addition to the story. Jamie and Isabel are still not married, but for all the non-fuss they want to put into it, they're still too busy to plan it. I am beginning to think the author is putting it off on purpose. The mystery part of it was a little more interesting than some, but ended up totally different than Isabel or I expected. ( )
  eliorajoy | Aug 10, 2014 |
This series of books I find very warm and comforting. I always feel like my life has received a little "up tick" when I read Alexander McCall Smith.

I would advise starting with the first in this series. And I highly recommend the Audible.com read-out-load version of Smith's books. ( )
  Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |
When the chairman of the board of governors of a school receives an anonymous poison pen letter about the candidates for the headmastership, his wife asks Isabel Dalhousie to investigate discreetly.

I felt myself relaxing more and more as Alexander McCall Smith's Edinburgh atmosphere worked its magic again. The first chapter had me giggling all the way through and then just basked in the minutiae of Isabel's life and gentle, kind, musings. ( )
  Robertgreaves | Jun 7, 2014 |
Very entertaining... good light reading
  Crossman | Aug 23, 2013 |
This book is for Robin Straus, in gratitude.
‘Saturday evening,’ remarked Isabel Dalhousie. ‘A time for the burning of ears.’

ISABEL DALHOUSIE - Book 7

Nothing captures the charm of Edinburgh like the bestselling Isabel Dalhousie series of novels featuring the insatiably curious philosopher and woman detective.  Whether investigating a case or a problem of philosophy, the indefatigable Isabel Dalhousie, one of fiction’s most richly developed amateur detectives, is always ready to pursue the answers to all of life’s questions, large and small.

Isabel has been asked for her help in a rather tricky situation: A successor is being sought for the headmaster at a local boys’ school. The board has three final candidates but has received an anonymous letter alleging that one of them has a very serious skeleton in the closet. Could Isabel discreetly look into it? And so she does. What she discovers about all the candidates is surprising, but what she discovers about herself and about Jamie, the father of her young son, turns out to be equally revealing.

Isabel’s investigation will have her exploring issues of ambition, as well as of charity, forgiveness, and humility, as she moves nearer and nearer to some of the most hidden precincts of the heart.

Here is Isabel Dalhousie at her beguiling best: intelligent, insightful, and with a unique understanding of the quirks of human nature.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:32 -0400)

A couple who are old friends of Isabel Dalhousie's ask for her help in a rather tricky situation: A successor is being sought for the headmaster position at their alma mater. The board has four final candidates but has received an anonymous letter alleging that one of them has a very serious skeleton in the closet. Could Isabel discreetly look into it?… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,151,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible