Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

Safe Haven (2010)

by Nicholas Sparks

English (88)  German (1)  All languages (89)
I have read all Sparks books and have seen all the movies. This was a great book (similar to Sleeping with the Enemy) as a young girl arrives in a small town Southport, NC (where I have visited in the past). She is escaping an abusive husband and rents a small secluded cabin in the woods and works as a waitress in a local diner. She is trying to keep a low profile and meets Alex, who has lost his wife and raising his two children and running a country store. They begin to open up to one another and she begins to trust him. Then her abusive husband (ex-cop) is obsessed with finding her and of course Alex is there to protect her and he ghost of his dead wife always shows up as a friend to Katie.

The book concentrates on loss, love, fears and learning to trust again. A good read and enjoyed the movie with some of my favorite stars. You can never go wrong with a Nicholas Spark’s book. Looking forward to his new book in 2013 “The Longest Ride”! ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
This is the last NS I am going to attempt. I couldn't get into it, felt so slow to me, and I DNF it. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
I loved the relationship between katie and alex and admired katie for her strength and intelligence she needed to outwit her husband and get away. Im taking psychology now and i had a huge impression that kevin the husband had schizophrenia. The ending was very sweet and had a little twist I hadn't expected. ( )
  amym53 | Jul 2, 2014 |
This book had me intrigued from the getgo. It did take me a while to get into enough that I couldnt put it down. Once I hit about page 60 I.couldnt stop. I feel kevins story was a little drug on with i.sufficient details. I would have liked to know more about him and maybe why he was the way he was. Whether it stemmed from child hood or maybe more. I also would have enjoyed knowing if Katie ever want back to visit her elderly neighbor. The book like I said was good. I gave 4 stars because it was kinda drug on. If the author was going to go so in depth with details I would have liked it being more relevant things. I would have also like to see Kevins outcome a little different. It seemed too easy, he felt like he was playing God I would have liked him to get what he deserved. He got it too easy for what he put katie through. I also would have liked to see him get a littke more than a slap on the wrist from his captain. Seriously nobody had any suspicion about erins whereabout to actually look into? ( )
  Courtney_Chance | Jun 19, 2014 |
this is coming out in theaters in February ......
  Chris.BlogEmporium | May 6, 2014 |
In loving memory of Paul and Adrienne Cote. My wonderful family. I miss you both already.
As Katie wound her way among the tables, a breeze from the Atlantic rippled through her hair.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044654759X, Hardcover)

But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her . . . a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards . . . and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:32 -0400)

"When a mysterious young woman named Katie appears in the small North Carolina town of Southport, her sudden arrival raises questions about her past. Beautiful yet self-effacing, Katie seems determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships: one with Alex, a widowed store owner with a kind heart and two young children; and another with her plainspoken single neighbor, Jo. Despite her reservations, Katie slowly begins to let down her guard, putting down roots in the close-knit community and becoming increasingly attached to Alex and his family. But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her-- a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards-- and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven"--from author's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,331,433 books! | Top bar: Always visible