Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

Safe Haven (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Nicholas Sparks

Member:52booksayear
Title:Safe Haven
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2010), Edition: 1st, Hardcover, 340 pages

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks (2010)

Recently added bykatsbyz, Pet12, heathermjones, izzybellae, private library, kimg77, Foxlibrary, Kayleebob, angee1011

English (90)  German (1)  All languages (91)
Another great work by Nicholas Sparks. Katie is making a new start in a small town called Southport. She has a dark secret past that she's fearful of exposure. She has very little to call her own, but she's safe... for now. She meets two people she befriends and begins to slowly trust amidst her reluctance to grow close to anyone. Her past haunts her and she knows she must face it again one day, but when that happens will she take a stand or will she give up everything she's worked for in Southport?
This was a great read. I enjoyed the way the reader learned about Katie's past in sections until it finally all came out. It was a pretty realistic portrayal of situations some women might find themselves in. This was pretty face paced and full of action towards the end. ( )
  jaimelee77 | Jul 7, 2015 |
This novel is pretty much a mystery centered around a women named Katie that moves into a new town. She never wants to speak about her past or where she came from. She becomes close with a man named Alex and falls in love with him. In the end, Katie ends up telling her neighbor the horrifying truth of her past and how she is running from her husband who used to abuse her. I personally enjoyed the book because I love mysteries and drama, but I would probably not read it with students because I do not believe it is appropriate. I think it is important to address abuse and domestic violence, but I think other books would address it better educationally. ( )
  Hhaddad1 | Apr 30, 2015 |
This is the story of Katie who just moved to Southport, North Carolina to escape her past. She is very quiet and people know very little about her. While she is grocery shopping at a small family owned store, she notices something on the security camera that gets the owners (Alex's) attention. From then on, Katie and Alex slowly start to become friendly and his 2 children, Josh and Kristen, seem taken with Katie also.

Katie lives on a lonely road where there is only one cottage next door. Soon she finds she has a neighbor, Jo. They also start to become friends.

Near the end of the book, Katie's past does catch up with her, in the worst way. And she also finds out that Jo is not who she appears to be!! (There's a twist!!)

I was completely caught off guard by the ending!! The story and characters are very well written, as per usual. The story progressed well with just enough "flashbacks" as to not making you feel "lost."
  Mzkitty570 | Mar 11, 2015 |
I have read all Sparks books and have seen all the movies. This was a great book (similar to Sleeping with the Enemy) as a young girl arrives in a small town Southport, NC (where I have visited in the past). She is escaping an abusive husband and rents a small secluded cabin in the woods and works as a waitress in a local diner. She is trying to keep a low profile and meets Alex, who has lost his wife and raising his two children and running a country store. They begin to open up to one another and she begins to trust him. Then her abusive husband (ex-cop) is obsessed with finding her and of course Alex is there to protect her and he ghost of his dead wife always shows up as a friend to Katie.

The book concentrates on loss, love, fears and learning to trust again. A good read and enjoyed the movie with some of my favorite stars. You can never go wrong with a Nicholas Spark’s book. Looking forward to his new book in 2013 “The Longest Ride”! ( )
  JudithDCollins | Nov 27, 2014 |
This is the last NS I am going to attempt. I couldn't get into it, felt so slow to me, and I DNF it. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 21, 2014 |
In loving memory of Paul and Adrienne Cote. My wonderful family. I miss you both already.
As Katie wound her way among the tables, a breeze from the Atlantic rippled through her hair.
Please do not combine the movie with the book.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044654759X, Hardcover)

But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her . . . a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards . . . and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:42 -0400)

"When a mysterious young woman named Katie appears in the small North Carolina town of Southport, her sudden arrival raises questions about her past. Beautiful yet self-effacing, Katie seems determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships: one with Alex, a widowed store owner with a kind heart and two young children; and another with her plainspoken single neighbor, Jo. Despite her reservations, Katie slowly begins to let down her guard, putting down roots in the close-knit community and becoming increasingly attached to Alex and his family. But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her-- a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards-- and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven"--from author's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,518,088 books! | Top bar: Always visible