Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

Safe Haven (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Nicholas Sparks

Member:rainpebble
Title:Safe Haven
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Your library (inactive)
Rating:**1/2
Tags:domestic abuse; N. Carolina

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks (2010)

Recently added byGreenLightGirl, druvey, twileteyes, stratlib, Ellemir, Stinkerbell1, private library, RenaeMcBrian

English (94)  German (1)  All languages (95)
This was my first Nicholas Sparks novel. I saw the movie preview for this book and it looked good so I decided to read the book before seeing the movie. I liked the book all the way to the last two chapters. The ending was not fulfilling. I would have preferred a romantic happy ending. Overall, it was a decent book and I would recommend it. ( )
  Erika.D | Jan 28, 2016 |
Once against Nicholas Sparks has written an entertaining novel with believable characters. This time, however, the plot is more sinister as it deals with the effects of domestic violence. Kevin is not a nice person as he becomes more and more deluded about his wife and marriage, while Katie herself is fragile, vulnerable and tender-hearted. This is a story of friendship, trust, love and marriage, and whilst I liked the ending I thought the 'twist' rather weak and spoilt the overall tenor of the book. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
  HeatherLINC | Jan 22, 2016 |
First off I have to say that I did see the movie, way before I got a chance to pick the book up and finally read it. With that being said like most instances books are way better than the movies and well this novel was no exception. It was definitely way better than the movie and I only wish now that I had gotten a chance to read the novel before hand.

This book was hard to put down and even when I had to put it down it was never far from reach. I liked the characters from the beginning with the exception of Kevin; Katie’s husband. But who would like a man like that, character or not. The characters were relatively easy to relate to in their everyday lives. I could feel the fear that Katie felt with the way the author put it all into words. Spark’s painted a setting that I could easily see the characters in. It was like watching a movie, a fantastic movie. The plot twists kept me on the edge of my seat and it was interesting to see gradually mentally insane Kevin got as the story unfolded, while the opposite happened to Katie, it was like they switched roles.

I’d have to say that out of the whole novel my favorite character was Jo, the spirit of Alex’s deceased wife. I loved her personality and the way she helped Katie realize that she doesn’t need to keep hiding in fear. It was very interesting in the end to know that she had all along just been a figment of Katie’s imagination and it wasn’t until the end that Katie put all the pieces together and realized it when she read the letter. ( )
  0crazykate0 | Dec 11, 2015 |
This is the last NS I am going to attempt. I couldn't get into it, felt so slow to me, and I DNF it. ( )
  mojo09226 | Nov 12, 2015 |

Nicholas Sparksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sparks, Nicholasmain authorall editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Paul and Adrienne Cote. My wonderful family. I miss you both already.
As Katie wound her way among the tables, a breeze from the Atlantic rippled through her hair.
Please do not combine the movie with the book.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044654759X, Hardcover)

But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her . . . a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards . . . and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:42 -0400)

"When a mysterious young woman named Katie appears in the small North Carolina town of Southport, her sudden arrival raises questions about her past. Beautiful yet self-effacing, Katie seems determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships: one with Alex, a widowed store owner with a kind heart and two young children; and another with her plainspoken single neighbor, Jo. Despite her reservations, Katie slowly begins to let down her guard, putting down roots in the close-knit community and becoming increasingly attached to Alex and his family. But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her-- a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards-- and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven"--from author's web site.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,993,213 books! | Top bar: Always visible