Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks

Safe Haven (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Nicholas Sparks

Member:rainpebble
Title:Safe Haven
Authors:Nicholas Sparks
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages
Collections:Your library (inactive)
Rating:**1/2
Tags:domestic abuse; N. Carolina

Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks (2010)

English (102)  German (2)  All (104)
I stopped being a huge fan of Nicholas Sparks around the time I hit twenty. His writing and story lines used to seem so romantic to me, but then I started to notice trends among each of his books. Someone always dies and it was usually the character I wanted to live. Depressing to say the least.

I read that this novel was different so I thought I would try again. I almost stopped towards the beginning of the novel when the main characters were beginning to "fall" for one another because I literally started to choke due to the mere cheesiness of it all. Luckily, Kevin's first chapter and "Kate's" back story began to emerge. It became interesting and I stuck with it. I liked seeing into Kevin's twisted mind because it is so far from my own. I wanted Kate to kick his trash!

I like it up until the end. Kevin gets incredibly drunk and the narration becomes so hard to follow that I felt as if maybe I was drunk. (Then I realized it was the middle of a work day and I don't drink.) Sparks began to lose me again and then completely lost me with that weird ending. It isn't that I don't believe in spirits, it was just too much for me to handle.

I think this is one of Sparks better novels. (All the people you really like don't randomly die.) I think this will be the last one I pick up for a few years. I need to recover from the cheese factor. ( )
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
I don't know where I received the recommendation for this book but it was not the type of book I was looking for. I kept reading because I was at the beach in Hawaii and it was pretty mindless. Wife in bad marriage. Wife tries to leave bad marriage. Husband is jealous and won't let her leave, etc., etc. Totally predictable American book. I like novels that make me think and that I'm thinking about days or even weeks later. This wasn't one of them. It would have received a one star but the writing was good so I gave it two stars. ( )
  ErinDenver | Jun 12, 2017 |
Gripping story. Read it,in two days. ( )
  gogglemiss | Feb 17, 2017 |
loved this book ( )
  KimSalyers | Oct 1, 2016 |
Safe Haven is another great book by Nicholas Sparks and it touches a very important subject, domestic violence. I picked this book up and was unable to put it back down again because I wanted to know how it ended which ended up in me still reading this book at 2 AM. Sparks showed not only the side of the victim but also from the abuser. Which made me almost feel compassionate towards the abuser, almost. Overall a very well written, catching story that I was unable to put down. ( )
  IrenevanOs | Aug 6, 2016 |

Nicholas Sparksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Sparks, Nicholasmain authorall editionsconfirmed
In loving memory of Paul and Adrienne Cote. My wonderful family. I miss you both already.
As Katie wound her way among the tables, a breeze from the Atlantic rippled through her hair.
Please do not combine the movie with the book.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 044654759X, Hardcover)

But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her . . . a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards . . . and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:42 -0400)

"When a mysterious young woman named Katie appears in the small North Carolina town of Southport, her sudden arrival raises questions about her past. Beautiful yet self-effacing, Katie seems determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships: one with Alex, a widowed store owner with a kind heart and two young children; and another with her plainspoken single neighbor, Jo. Despite her reservations, Katie slowly begins to let down her guard, putting down roots in the close-knit community and becoming increasingly attached to Alex and his family. But even as Katie begins to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts and terrifies her-- a past that set her on a fearful, shattering journey across the country, to the sheltered oasis of Southport. With Jo's empathic and stubborn support, Katie eventually realizes that she must choose between a life of transient safety and one of riskier rewards-- and that in the darkest hour, love is the only true safe haven"--from author's web site.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,174,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible