The Time In Between by Maria Duenas

The Time In Between (edition 2011)

by Maria Duenas

717None13,114 (3.74)34
Member:gemini52
Title:The Time In Between
Authors:Maria Duenas
Info:Atria Books (2011), Edition: Tra, Kindle Edition, 626 pages
Rating:***1/2

The Time in Between by María Dueñas

2012 (6) ARC (8) Civil War (16) contemporary (4) espionage (18) fiction (46) historical (6) historical fiction (33) historical novel (6) history (6) Kindle (6) literature (9) love (13) Madrid (11) Morocco (32) mystery (5) narrativa (7) novel (6) novela (17) read (5) seamstress (5) Spain (36) Spanish (13) Spanish Civil War (32) Spanish Fiction (4) spy (6) tangier (8) to-read (36) war (4) WWII (28)
    Jasmine Nights by Julia Gregson (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: Both books have a heroine whose life is changed through meeting a man, taking them on journeys far from home and into a world that is both exotic, but fraught with danger.
    Dime quien soy / Tell Me Who I Am (Spanish Edition) by Julia Navarro (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: Una historia de pasión, espionaje, intriga, en los años de la Guerra Civil española
    Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination by Helen Fielding (viktoriaofbavaria)
    La voz del pasado by Fernando Rueda Rieu (aliciagarcia)

Spanish (32)  English (32)  Catalan (2)  German (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (70)
Un drama enmarcado en la Guerra Civil española. Sira, es una mujer trabajadora que se va de España para construirse un futuro como modista. Poco a poco su posición va mejorando, y consigue convertirse en un personaje importante en la época del Franquismo ( )
  cristinabj | Oct 21, 2013 |
I won an ARC of this novel from here at GoodReads. I finally got around to reading it and absolutely enjoyed it. You can read my review (contains some spoilers) on my blog: http://www.caffeinatedlife.net/blog/2011/10/15/review-the-time-in-between/ ( )
  caffeinatedlife | Sep 1, 2013 |
Overly wordy and too drawn out to keep my interest. ( )
  digitalmaven | Aug 24, 2013 |
"Fresh Meat" by Victoria Janssen for Criminal Element

I love reading about women spies in exciting settings. The Time In Between’s heroine, Sira Quiroga, journeys from Madrid to Tangiers and thence to Tetouan and to Lisbon in a deeply involving historical saga. The young seamstress grows up poor in Madrid in the shadow of the Spanish Civil War. Her first great romantic adventure leads to her betrayal and abandonment, far from home. But from the depths of despair, she recreates herself, making new friends and a new life for herself in Morocco, at that time a Spanish colony, and rife with intrigue leading up to World War II. The intrigue is lavishly described in deep historical detail; the author provides some of her wide-ranging bibliography at the end of the book.

(Read the rest at http://www.criminalelement.com/blogs/2011/10/fresh-meat-the-time-in-between-by-m... )
  CrimeHQ | Apr 11, 2013 |
3.5 stars. I was generaly captivated by the book and enjoyed reading it, but there are a few aspects that I didn't like or that I question about the book. I like that it is a novel covering WWII from an angle that I've never encountered before -- mainly Spain, but some Morocco, too. It involves people who really existed, but the main story is fictional. The story is epic in that it covers several locations and there are miniplots within the larger framework of the novel. It includes mystery, romance, intrigue, action, politics, and fashion; quite the gamut, really, though its audience is mainly female.
This book could easily become a movie, but I imagine it would need serious adapting.

My criticisms involve details and are more minor, but they contain some spoilers:
a) there's a chapter that provides political info in the third person, but with a "so I heard from my friend" thrown in at the end to fit the novel. I guess it's done for clarity and time-saving, but it was a disonance;
b) the first miniplot is very predictable, but I suppose it serves the purpose of getting Sira to North Africa, penniless; I guess I can accept that.
c) one of the guys from the beginning shows up later in the novel, but I'm not sure why other than to give some temporary suspense. Seems kind of coincidental that the one shadow she has knows her, threatens her, and then ignores her.
d)the final miniplot in Lisbon ends too easily. Wouldn't he have contacts in Spain to deal with her? The Germans would...
e) the author does a decent job of providing opportunity and space for Shira to grow, but she is very polished and brave at the end; not sure I buy it all
f) there are some suggestive details that are included like foreshadowing, and then they come to cnothing. I'm not sure if I apreciate the misdirection, or if it's annoying.

Did it make me rethink my worldview or opinions? No. But it's an enjoyable story with decent writing. ( )
  LDVoorberg | Apr 7, 2013 |
This thrilling debut is marked by immaculate prose and a driving narrative, establishing Dueñas as a writer to watch

See also the author profile in PW Oct 2011
added by 4leschats | editPublishers Weekly (Nov 1, 2011)

María Dueñasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Risvik, KariTranslatorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
TK
A typewriter shattered my destiny.

At age twelve, Sira Quiroga sweeps the atelier floors where her single mother works as a seamstress. At fourteen, she quietly begins her own apprenticeship. By her early twenties she has learned the ropes of the business and is engaged to a modest government clerk. But everything changes when two charismatic men burst unexpectedly into her neatly mapped-out life: an attractive salesman and the father she never knew.

Between War and Peace . . .

With the Spanish Civil War brewing in Madrid, Sira leaves her mother and her fiancé, impetuously following her handsome lover to Morocco. However, she soon finds herself abandoned, penniless, and heartbroken in an exotic land. Among the odd collection of European expatriates trapped there by the worsening political situation back on the Continent, Sira reinvents herself by turning to the one skill that can save her: her gift for creating beautiful clothes.

Between Love and Duty . . .

As England, Germany, and the other great powers launch into the dire conflict of World War II, Sira is persuaded to return to Madrid, where she takes on a new identity to embark upon the most dangerous undertaking of her career. As the preeminent couturier for an eager clientele of Nazi officers’ wives, Sira becomes embroiled in the half-lit world of espionage and political conspiracy rife with love, intrigue, and betrayal.

Already a runaway bestseller across Europe, The Time In Between is one of those rare, richly textured novels that enthrall down to the last page. María Dueñas reminds us how it feels to be swept away by a masterful storyteller.

"The Time In Between follows the story of a seamstress who becomes the most sought-after couturiere during the Spanish Civil War and World War II"--

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,426,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible