Siege by Brian Michael Bendis
Info:Marvel (2010), Edition: First Edition, Paperback, 200 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:fiction, comics, marvel

Siege by Brian Michael Bendis

Marvel’s great event series of 2010 was a showstopping finale to the long running threads initiated by Avengers: Dissembled. It’s the climax to Norman Osborn’s second coming, his rise to a key position regarding national security. And it’s truly a near insane concept which shows off the character’s hubris – he gathers the forces he’s been putting together to attack Asgard, the closest the Marvel universe has to a representation of Heaven. At least comic writers are still thinking big.

As the title suggests it’s all about the build-up to the siege and then the siege itself, which is obviously an almighty punch-up between the Osborne’s perversion of the heroic ideal and the forces of Asgard aided by a few more familiar good guys. Which is all good fun, but it essentially ends up as the inevitable big reset button to the pre-Civil War status quo with the heroes on the right side of the law again and the villains hauled away for their crimes. Fun, but not particularly deep and conservative in essence. ( )
  JonArnold | Aug 14, 2014 |
A recommended starting point for newcomers to Marvel is Kieron Gillen's Journey into Mystery. I enjoyed the series immensely and continued on with his Thor Ultimate Collection. That omnibus happens to include issues that precede and follow the Siege Event. Needless to say, I wanted to know what happened during Siege. So, I jumped to Straczynski's three volumes of Thor (all excellent), in order to work my way back through Marvel continuity toward Siege.

I began with the Siege Prelude to try and orient myself to the state of this Marvel universe, and it was helpful. Siege opens with Osborn informing the Cabal that it is Loki's turn to be aided in taking over Asgard. Osborn wants to attack, but the president needs justification. Loki works with Osborn to create an inciting incident by setting up Volstagg to cause some major destruction, and Ares is tricked by Osborn into leading the assault with the Dark Avengers- and the Siege begins! Captain America gathers the Avengers, who have been in hiding from the superhero registration act, Nick Fury and Maria Hill resurface, and they all come to the defense of their friend, Thor. The Avengers fight better as a team, and they seem to make headway until the ultra-powerful Sentry brings Asgard crashing down and threatens all their lives. He can only be defeated by some very unlikely help.

Loki's machinations from start to finish as he unfolds his plan are fun and interesting. And the actual assault has a lot of very exciting action sequences. But, one element that didn't work quite so well was the meeting/communications recaps. The book breaks from the action 3 times to provide a literal transcript of a prior meeting. The first such meeting is Osborn laying out his plan for the Dark Avengers. Later we get Fury's briefing of the heroes in training, and finally Maria Hill's communications with the president during Siege. While the background was interesting, it went on too long and pulled me out of the story. Still, I found this "event" to be an excellent story arc and I plan to read some of the tie-ins to get a fuller picture.

While I would give the story five stars for being so well executed and action-packed, I give the book four stars because this edition, ISBN 0785148108, is not as good a value as the January 2012 Siege hardcover, ISBN 0785163166 (that I didn't know about when I bought this book). The later edition has a higher retail but includes more of the related tie-ins. This hardcover includes: Siege #1-4, Siege: The Cabal, and Siege Digital Prologue. The expanded hardcover includes: Siege: The Cabal, Siege Prologue, Siege 1-4, Siege 1 Director's Cut, New Avengers (2005) 61-64 and Dark Avengers 13-16. As a newcomer it can be challenging to know which tie-ins are necessary/worthwhile, and I now have to search out those other issues not in this edition.

Overall, this is definitely worth reading and an exciting event - just make sure to buy the best edition. Highly recommended, and now my curiosity is piqued to see how we got to this point. Looks like I'm going back to Civil War... ( )
  jshillingford | Jun 15, 2013 |
A good collection of stories around a pretty apocalyptic event. This is Marvel history in the making. Good but not outstanding art, & the same could be said of the script as well. Fun & intriguing, but not quite got the depth that you'd want. Some ore cross over events have had deeper plots. ( )
  aadyer | May 19, 2013 |
With the success of the Avengers and other super-hero films, presenting graphic novels that share these themes may be a way to make reading more appealing to students who generally do not like to read. Seige would be good for 5th-8th grade students as the story line is a strong and cohesive one that requires a level of reading comprehension, some strong vocabulary is presented and it is a decent length, pushing students to increase skill while reading on a popular topic.

Reading Level: 6th-7th (not posted on Scholastic) ( )
  Kaitlyn.Johnston | Apr 22, 2013 |
So, Asgard is parked on top of Earth and Osborn is a tool, I mean, head of H.A.M.M.E.R and decides to lay siege to Asgard with the help of Loki and the rather frightening Sentry. I didn’t really pay much attention to the Sentry until he sliced through someone like he was cutting up salami for a sandwich. At that point, this story commanded my full attention. And I enjoyed it a great deal too. I liked the artwork and there was plenty of action (and off their rockers characters – Norman, I’m looking at you).

I do like a storyline that is jam-picked with heroics and destruction and shady politicking and equally shady characters who then go and redeem themselves at the very last moment (Loki, looking at you). And Loki, why are you such an arse? Master of misrule that he is, you always suspect that anything he plans is going to go tits up because that’s just the nature of this character – made to cause chaos, even his plans are unable to sustain cohesion. And he pays a hefty price for cocking up in this story. Still, that is one fine villein (don’t do it, spellcheck, I mean it – so fine a villain, I had to go feudal on this word’s ass).

I enjoyed this a great deal, though I do wish it had been a little longer – I imagine this story must have been contained in only a few issues when it came out – my graphic novel copy was certainly slimmer than I wanted it to be. Could have done with way more Cap, Thor and Stark.
  h_d | Mar 31, 2013 |
Asgard is not supposed to be here.

Beginning with the ravaging effects of Avengers Disassembled and following the aftermaths of House of M, Civil War, and Secret Invasion, culminating with the evil Reign of Norman Osborn, the Marvel Universe has been left with its greatest villains holding more power and control then ever before. On the brink of madness, Osborn, in his final bid to take total control, targets the final obstacle in his mission...Asgard. Events are set in motion forcing our heroes to put aside the deep rifts that have grown over the past seven years. Opposing them stand a horde of evil that has begun to take down the gods of the Golden Realm! SIEGE will rock the foundations of every super hero, villain, and team in the Marvel Universe. As an era ends, one word will ring above all others..."SIEGE." Collects Siege #1-4, Siege: The Cabal, and Siege Digital Prologue.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:06:39 -0400)

"In an epic story arc that began with Avengers Disassembled--and extended through the House of M, Civil War, and Secret Invasion--the greatest villains of the Marvel Universe are ready to make their final move against a target from time immemorial: the hallowed halls of Asgard!..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,473,945 books! | Top bar: Always visible