Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland [adapted…

Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland [adapted by Jane Carruth]

by Jane Carruth, Jane Carruth, Gordon King (Illustrator)

Recently added bypeach240, grandpahobo, tonimp, mwnorman, kshahar, anantj, Ishimura, allyofthedawn, gzmk, private library

"""Where is the wonder where's the awe
Where's dear Alice knocking on the door
Where's the trapdoor that takes me there
Where the real is shattered
by a Mad Marsh Hare""

I had been wanting to read this book for a very long time by the time I picked it up, for different reasons. Besides it being a classic, to this day I am keeping myself from watching the movie - the one with Johnny Depp - because I wanted to read the book first. This is a hard book to rate. Honestly, most of it is quite silly, edging the realms of absurd. However, if that is what one is expecting by reading Alice in Wonderland, it might end up being a pretty good book.

What I liked the most about it is - no surprise - Alice. She's adorably innocent, displaying the clear and genuine logic and outlook of a child. She's a bit precocious, but not in an obnoxious way. Had she not been so, I'm sure she would have found Wonderland quite dark and ominous. Instead, she approaches the bizarre place with an open mind and adapts to it pretty well.

Overall, it was a nice story, but nothing that special, considering the hype about it. It's nice to have read this book and to see that many versions of it on cartoons and video games did a nice job of capturing the essence of the novel. I laughed pretty loud at the absurdity of it, some times, and I loved the narrator's impersonations of the characters. The croquet game was fantastically written and the court scene was pretty funny as well. I thought the end was a bit rushed, but I guess it makes sense in context.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.

The Last Passage
So she sat on with closed eyes, and half believed herself in Wonderland, though she knew she had but to open them again, and all would change to dull reality—the grass would be only rustling in the wind, and the pool rippling to the waving of the reeds—the rattling teacups would change to the tinkling sheep-bells, and the Queen's shrill cries to the voice of the shepherd boy—and the sneeze of the baby, the shriek of the Gryphon, and all the other queer noises, would change (she knew) to the confused clamour of the busy farm-yard—while the lowing of the cattle in the distance would take the place of the Mock Turtle's heavy sobs.

Lastly, she pictured to herself how this same little sister of hers would, in the after-time, be herself a grown woman; and how she would keep, through all her riper years, the simple and loving heart of her childhood: and how she would gather about her other little children, and make their eyes bright and eager with many a strange tale, perhaps even with the dream of Wonderland of long ago: and how she would feel with all their simple sorrows, and find a pleasure in all their simple joys, remembering her own child-life, and the happy summer days.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
High school reading. I remember leading a discussion of the uses of humor. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
El libro y todas sus adaptaciones cinematográficas me hacen doler la cabeza. Mi opinión es estrictamente una cuestión de gustos; las imágenes descritas me producen un efecto lisergico que no me sienta nada bien y me trae recuerdos vomitivos.

De nuevo, es puramente personal. Pero no creo que jamás me llegue a gustar esta historia.
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |
No wise fish would go anywhere without a porpoise. ( )
  trilliams | May 30, 2015 |
Sense, logic. ( )
  JorgeCarvajal | Feb 13, 2015 |

Carruth, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carruth, Janemain authorall editionsconfirmed
King, GordonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Adaptation by Jane Carruth. Please don't combine with the original full work.

This hardcover edition of the classic tale of ALICE IN WONDERLAND has been read and loved by children for generations. Start a new tradition of reading this timeless tale in your home today!
•Fully illustrated in color, bringing each tale to life
•Filled with humor, adventure and imagination for children of all ages
•Great first-time reading for children as well as reading again for parents and grandparents
•Beautiful story and unforgettable characters

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:12 -0400)

A little girl falls down a rabbit hole and discovers a world of nonsensical and amusing characters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,698,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible