Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland [adapted…

Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland [adapted by Jane Carruth]

by Jane Carruth, Jane Carruth, Gordon King (Illustrator)

1,201316,673 (3.88)1

To read this gem as an adult is truly a special treat. It only gets stronger the older you read it. It is one of my favourite stories I've ever read.
Revisiting this has been more than enjoyable. ( )
  Irena. | Nov 3, 2015 |
To view an annotated bibliography of this title written for EDLI200, expand the spoiler entry below:

Traditional Literature
Fantasy Fiction

Estimated age level of interest:
Middle Grades

Estimated reading level:
Grade 7

Brief description:
Alice falls down a rabbit hole and into the bizarre and fantastical world of Wonderland where she meets many eccentric and hilarious characters along the way.

At least 2 characteristics of this genre and subgenre and how they appear in this book:
Good fantasy literature prompts the reader to actively use his or her imagination, and to claim that Lewis Carroll’s magnum opus misses this mark would be absurd. Perhaps no work of modern fantasy requires the reader to have a healthy imagination more so than does “Alice in Wonderland”. In a world populated by talking rabbits, mice, hares, cats, playing cards, and caterpillars, among many other strange characters, lacking the ability to entertain the strange and unnatural is not an option.

Additionally, a subgenre of fantasy fiction focuses on stories taking place in extraordinary worlds. It could be argued that Alice’s adventures blaised the trail for all of the titles that followed in this sub-genre. One common characteristic a reader will find is that such stories begin in a setting closely resembling the familiar real world that we in, only to then catapult into strange, unfamiliar territories where many of the rules that govern reality no longer apply. Such is the case with Wonderland where nothing is as it seems and everything is seemingly possible.

In what ways and how well does the book as a whole serve its intended audience?
“Alice in Wonderland” certainly helps the reader, young or old, to maintain a healthy and active imagination. To this end, it is a very useful work of fiction. However, I have never had much use for it as a tool for reinforcing lessons and morals that one often looks for in fantasy fiction. I fully appreciate the silliness and nonsensical hijinks of the story, but find them to be so over-the-top that any valuable lessons they might contain are nearly impossible to discern. In a contemporary context, even the careful reader who identifies the allegorical nature of the tale has little to relate to today in comparison to classical Victorian England. Perhaps the most readily digestible lesson in the entire book can be found in the final pages and is related by Alice’s older sister as she laments how brief Alice’s fanciful will be and aches for the days gone by where she herself was a carefree child.

Awards, if any:

Links to published, professional reviews, if any:
Most reviews tend to focus on the nuances of various releases of the title, but several editorial reviews can be found on Amazon at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0141439769?ie=UTF8&isInIframe=1&n=28315...

nphill85 | Oct 12, 2015 |
"""Where is the wonder where's the awe
Where's dear Alice knocking on the door
Where's the trapdoor that takes me there
Where the real is shattered
by a Mad Marsh Hare""

I had been wanting to read this book for a very long time by the time I picked it up, for different reasons. Besides it being a classic, to this day I am keeping myself from watching the movie - the one with Johnny Depp - because I wanted to read the book first. This is a hard book to rate. Honestly, most of it is quite silly, edging the realms of absurd. However, if that is what one is expecting by reading Alice in Wonderland, it might end up being a pretty good book.

What I liked the most about it is - no surprise - Alice. She's adorably innocent, displaying the clear and genuine logic and outlook of a child. She's a bit precocious, but not in an obnoxious way. Had she not been so, I'm sure she would have found Wonderland quite dark and ominous. Instead, she approaches the bizarre place with an open mind and adapts to it pretty well.

Overall, it was a nice story, but nothing that special, considering the hype about it. It's nice to have read this book and to see that many versions of it on cartoons and video games did a nice job of capturing the essence of the novel. I laughed pretty loud at the absurdity of it, some times, and I loved the narrator's impersonations of the characters. The croquet game was fantastically written and the court scene was pretty funny as well. I thought the end was a bit rushed, but I guess it makes sense in context.

Interesting quotes that I didn't include in the review:
Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.
It’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.

The Last Passage
So she sat on with closed eyes, and half believed herself in Wonderland, though she knew she had but to open them again, and all would change to dull reality—the grass would be only rustling in the wind, and the pool rippling to the waving of the reeds—the rattling teacups would change to the tinkling sheep-bells, and the Queen's shrill cries to the voice of the shepherd boy—and the sneeze of the baby, the shriek of the Gryphon, and all the other queer noises, would change (she knew) to the confused clamour of the busy farm-yard—while the lowing of the cattle in the distance would take the place of the Mock Turtle's heavy sobs.

Lastly, she pictured to herself how this same little sister of hers would, in the after-time, be herself a grown woman; and how she would keep, through all her riper years, the simple and loving heart of her childhood: and how she would gather about her other little children, and make their eyes bright and eager with many a strange tale, perhaps even with the dream of Wonderland of long ago: and how she would feel with all their simple sorrows, and find a pleasure in all their simple joys, remembering her own child-life, and the happy summer days.
" ( )
  AdemilsonM | Sep 2, 2015 |
High school reading. I remember leading a discussion of the uses of humor. ( )
  joeydag | Jul 23, 2015 |
El libro y todas sus adaptaciones cinematográficas me hacen doler la cabeza. Mi opinión es estrictamente una cuestión de gustos; las imágenes descritas me producen un efecto lisergico que no me sienta nada bien y me trae recuerdos vomitivos.

De nuevo, es puramente personal. Pero no creo que jamás me llegue a gustar esta historia.
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |

Carruth, Janeprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Carruth, Janemain authorall editionsconfirmed
King, GordonIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Adaptation by Jane Carruth. Please don't combine with the original full work.

This hardcover edition of the classic tale of ALICE IN WONDERLAND has been read and loved by children for generations. Start a new tradition of reading this timeless tale in your home today!
•Fully illustrated in color, bringing each tale to life
•Filled with humor, adventure and imagination for children of all ages
•Great first-time reading for children as well as reading again for parents and grandparents
•Beautiful story and unforgettable characters

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:12 -0400)

A little girl falls down a rabbit hole and discovers a world of nonsensical and amusing characters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,854,633 books! | Top bar: Always visible