Sun Storm by Asa Larsson

Sun Storm (original 2003; edition 2006)

by Asa Larsson

872None10,133 (3.41)69
Member:bfister
Title:Sun Storm
Authors:Asa Larsson
Info:Delta (2006), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Sweden, tax law, religion, fundamentalism, crime fiction

Sun Storm by Åsa Larsson (2003)

Recently added bycol2910, olgaroederer
    The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Wellwritten crimestories set in Sweden with female protagonists.

English (24)  Spanish (7)  Swedish (3)  Danish (2)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  All languages (38)
Synopsis/blurb.........
On the floor of a church in northern Sweden, the body of a man lies mutilated and defiled - and in the night sky, the aurora borealis dances as the snow begins to fall....So begins Ãsa Larsson's spellbinding thriller, winner of Sweden's Best First Crime Novel Award and an international literary sensation.

Rebecka Martinsson is heading home to Kiruna, the town she'd left in disgrace years before. A Stockholm attorney, Rebecka has a good reason to return: her friend Sanna, whose brother has been horrifically murdered in the revivalist church his charisma helped create. Beautiful and fragile, Sanna needs someone like Rebecka to remove the shadow of guilt that is engulfing her, to forestall an ambitious prosecutor and a dogged policewoman. But to help her friend, and to find the real killer of a man she once adored and is now not sure she ever knew, Rebecka must relive the darkness she left behind in Kiruna, delve into a sordid conspiracy of deceit, and confront a killer whose motives are dark, wrenching, and impossible to guess...
Well this was my first taste of another new female author and was my chosen Scandinavian read for the current month. I enjoyed it, though the first part of the book was a bit of a slog. If I’m truthful, I think this is more down to me rather than the author, particularly as the last 160-odd pages only took me a day to cover, as I became more absorbed in the story.
On a personal level, my reading mojo appears to have deserted me this month. I‘m less driven to read at the minute and more easily distracted, tiredness seems to have over-taken me and whilst I will try and keep at it and read more this month, at the minute is seems to be less of a pleasure and more of a chore. I’m not beating myself up over it and I think I will give myself this month off from all my series reads and choose a bit more randomly for the last half of the month, with the hope of recapturing the elusive feel good factor. I sometimes think that by structuring my reading so rigidly eg next Block, next Crais, next Collins, next Scandinavian, I’ve limited my options and removed too much spontaneity from my selections.
Anyway, back to Larsson’s book........I was interested in and liked the main character Rebecka, whose admirable loyalty towards Sanna was abused and taken advantage of. Intelligent and tenacious, she was brave enough to confront her past and face her demons in an effort to uncover the motive for Viktor’s death; believing her friend innocent of the crime.
Larsson’s other characters were engaging and believable; especially Rebecka’s friend Sivving and the two police officers involved in the case. There was the token officious jobs-worth in the form of the prosecutor, but on the whole the characters were convincing.
Overall, I found it fast-paced and enjoyable with a satisfying conclusion. I’m in two minds whether I will be back for further Martinsson books, mainly because I need to read some of the many already waiting for me. The others are:
2. The Blood Spilt (2007)
3. The Black Path (2008)
4. Until Thy Wrath be Past (2011)
It might be worth noting that this has been published elsewhere under the title Sun Storm.
4 stars from 5
I’m unsure where or when I acquired my copy.

col2910 | Apr 17, 2014 |
Synopsis/blurb.........

2. The Blood Spilt (2007)
3. The Black Path (2008)
4. Until Thy Wrath be Past (2011)
4 stars from 5
I’m unsure where or when I acquired my copy. ( )
  col2910 | Jun 20, 2013 |
A really creepy, psychologically thrilling debut. Martinsson is a great heroine and the story was dark, twisted and complex - everything people have come to expect and love about Scandinavian crime. ( )
  tonile.helena | Mar 31, 2013 |
I can’t be certain (I don’t have a list of everything I’ve ever read) but I don’t recall reading any Swedish crime fiction before. Which, if this book is anything to judge by is my loss.

Savage Altar features a young tax lawyer, Rebecka Martinsson, who returns to her home town when a man she knew there is murdered and his sister, her old friend, seeks Rebecka’s help. The story features a particularly gruesome killing, cult-like religious folk, tenacious detectives and a fascinating array of minor characters. In fact the characters are the stars of this book as they all slowly reveal their secrets and true natures.

Larsson has a great eye for descriptive detail which made it easy to sink into the unfamiliar environment, weather and culture. She’s also a dab hand at building a level of suspense with both the present day murder and the story of Rebecka’s past and the reason she left the town years earlier. The book is deliciously unpredictable: I don’t think there’s anyone I didn’t suspect of being the killer at some point or other, and totally un-putdownable which is evidenced by the fact I barely saved it from a dunking as I tried to read while washing the dishes.

Apparently there’s a second book in this series being published this year and I can’t wait for it to be translated into English.
1 vote bsquaredinoz | Mar 31, 2013 |
Received as a wishlist RABCK.
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 31, 2013 |

Sæther, AndrineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sørensen, Helene P.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vives Colom, NúriaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Walczak-Larsson, BeataTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
It grows like a tree of rage
behind my brow
with flashing red leaves, blue leaves, white!
A tree
still quivering in the wind

And I will crush
your house, and nothing
will be unfamiliar to me,
not even
what is human

Like a tree from the inside
forces its way out
and crushes
the skull

And glows
like a lantern deep in the forest
deep in the darkness

Göran Sonnevi
When Viktor Standgård dies it is not, in fact, for the first time.
Also published in English as The Savage Altar in the UK.

On the floor of a church in northern Sweden, the body of a man lies mutilated and defiled–and in the night sky, the aurora borealis dances as the snow begins to fall....So begins Åsa Larsson’s spellbinding thriller, winner of Sweden’s Best First Crime Novel Award and an international literary sensation.

Rebecka Martinsson is heading home to Kiruna, the town she’d left in disgrace years before. A Stockholm attorney, Rebecka has a good reason to return: her friend Sanna, whose brother has been horrifically murdered in the revivalist church his charisma helped create. Beautiful and fragile, Sanna needs someone like Rebecka to remove the shadow of guilt that is engulfing her, to forestall an ambitious prosecutor and a dogged policewoman. But to help her friend, and to find the real killer of a man she once adored and is now not sure she ever knew, Rebecka must relive the darkness she left behind in Kiruna, delve into a sordid conspiracy of deceit, and confront a killer whose motives are dark, wrenching, and impossible to guess....

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:39:35 -0400)

"Rebecka Martinsson is heading home to Kiruna, the town she'd left in disgrace years before. A Stockholm attorney, Rebecka has a good reason to return: her friend Sanna, whose brother has been horrifically murdered in the revivalist church his charisma helped create. Beautiful and fragile, Sanna needs someone like Rebecka to remove the shadow of guilt that is engulfing her, to forestall an ambitious prosecutor and a dogged policewoman. But to help her friend, and to find the real killer of a man she once adored and is now not sure she ever knew, Rebecka must relive the darkness she left behind in Kiruna, delve into a sordid conspiracy of deceit, and confront a killer whose motives are dark, wrenching, and impossible to guess."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,499,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible