13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

13 Little Blue Envelopes (edition 2006)

by Maureen Johnson

2,8471932,038 (3.78)55
Member:mjspear
Title:13 Little Blue Envelopes
Authors:Maureen Johnson
Info:HarperTeen (2006), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:travel, Europe, romance, artists, London

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern (nookbooks)
    nookbooks: Main character gets series of envelopes with letters, after loved one's death, each one with a task to complete.
    Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn (kaledrina)
    Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (foggidawn)

Absolutely loved this book! ( )
  imagine15 | Mar 15, 2016 |
When seventeen-year-old Ginny receives a packet of mysterious envelops from her favorite aunt, she leaves New Jersey to criss-cross Europe on a sort of scavenger hunt that transforms her life.
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
This is more than chick lit--there is character development and a sort of underlying theme of learning about yourself that goes beyond the breezy romance and travelogue that makes Johnson a stand out writer for me. ( )
  susan259 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Ginny receives a package from her Aunt Peg who passed away. In the package are 13 Little Blue Envelopes containing the secrets of Peg's life and instructions on how to unravel those secrets.....

The first Little Blue Envelope comes with the following instructions: "I'd like to play that game one more time--except now we're going to be a little more literal. Today's game is 'I live in London.' Notice that I have included $1,000 in cash, a one-way ticket from New York to London, and a backpack. (Keep a few buck for a cab to the airport.)
Upon booking the ticket, packing the backpack, and hugging everyone good-bye, I want you to go to New York City. Specifically, I want you to go to 4th Noodle, the Chinese restaurant under my old apartment. Something is waiting there for you. Go to the airport right from there......"

There are also rules about not using maps, guidebooks, cell phones, or a laptop.

Off on an adventure to discover who her aunt really was, how she lived, loved, and died......

I found the mystery of this book to be engrossing, so much so that I was up all night in order to finish reading it. The story itself was exciting but the characters were a bit flat and I felt that I never got to know any of them very well... This isn't great literature, but it is a quick and enjoyable read.
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Ginny has been sent on a quest. She received a letter from her Aunt Peg to go to New York then London. The surprise, her Aunt has died. In New York Ginny gets a package with 13 notes. She is to open them in order only after fulfilling the task in the previous note. On her way Ginny meets many different people that help or hurt her depending on the situation. It was a cute book and I will read more by this author. ( )
  i.should.b.reading | Jan 14, 2016 |
Rule #1:
You may bring only what fits in your backpack. Don't try to fake it with a purse or a carry-on.

Rule #2:
You may not bring guidebooks, phrase books, or and kind of foreign language aid. And no journals.

Rule #3:
You cannot bring extra money or credit/debit cards, traveler's checks, etc. I'll take care of all of that.

Rule #4:
No electronic crutches. This means no laptop, no cell phone, no music, and no camera. You can't call home of communicate with people in the U.S. by internet or telephone. Postcards and letters are acceptable and encouraged.

That's all you need to know for now. See you at 4th Noodle.
For Kate Schafer, the greatest traveling companion in the world, and a woman who is not afraid to admit that she occasionally can't remember where she lives.
Dear Ginger, I have been a great follower of rules.
As a rule, Ginny Blackstone tried to go unnoticed -- something that was more or less impossible with thirty pounds (she'd weighed it) of purple-and-green backpack hanging from her back.

Inside little blue envelope 1 are $1,000 and instructions to buy a plane ticket.

In envelope 2 are directions to a specific London flat.

The note in envelope 3 tells Ginny: Find a starving artist.

Because of envelope 4, Ginny and a playwright/thief/ bloke–about–town called Keith go to Scotland together, with somewhat disastrous–though utterly romantic–results. But will she ever see him again?

Everything about Ginny will change this summer, and it's all because of the 13 little blue envelopes.

Ages 12+

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:33 -0400)

When seventeen-year-old Ginny receives a packet of mysterious envelopes from her favorite aunt, she leaves New Jersey to criss-cross Europe on a sort of scavenger hunt that transforms her life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,255,158 books! | Top bar: Always visible