13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

13 Little Blue Envelopes (edition 2006)

by Maureen Johnson

2,9021951,988 (3.77)55
Member:mjspear
Title:13 Little Blue Envelopes
Authors:Maureen Johnson
Info:HarperTeen (2006), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:travel, Europe, romance, artists, London

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern (nookbooks)
    nookbooks: Main character gets series of envelopes with letters, after loved one's death, each one with a task to complete.
    Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn (kaledrina)
    Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (foggidawn)

The premise of this book is interesting - 17 year old Ginny receives 13 blue envelopes from her Aunt Peg who passed away. Aunt Peg was an artist and a free spirit. Ginny is supposed to open each envelope after she has completed a task, but there's a catch, she can't bring a cellphone and a map, among other things. Soon, Ginny finds herself retracing her aunts footsteps as she goes on the greatest adventure of her life.

This book has been getting mixed reviews, and I understand why. As I was reading this, I was wondering how many parents would allow their underage daughter to travel abroad under the same conditions as Ginny. No cellphone, no maps, no extra cash, etc. I would be beside myself with worry. Also, Ginny's characterization is a bit flat - she lacks personality. The only time I felt Ginny show emotion was towards the end, when the reality of her aunt's death sunk in. The tasks that Ginny had to complete was so random and lacked significance. However, I'm hoping the story and characterization further developes in the sequel - The Lost Little Blue Envelope. ( )
  VavaViolet | Aug 24, 2016 |
1,5 stars. The ,5 is for making me laugh.

Review soon. ( )
  Hellen0 | Jun 22, 2016 |
READ IN DUTCH

Even though I normally don't like this sort of books, I did want to read this book a few years ago. One of my friends read it and told me about it. And I got interested in the story. After reading I thought that the story was original but completely unbelievable. There are happening so many weird things but nobody seems to care about that. I enjoyed reading, it wasn't hard to read it. You could read it rather fast, but I was not blown away by it. But I still bought her second book as well, but still need to read that one. ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Absolutely loved this book! ( )
  imagine15 | Mar 15, 2016 |
When seventeen-year-old Ginny receives a packet of mysterious envelops from her favorite aunt, she leaves New Jersey to criss-cross Europe on a sort of scavenger hunt that transforms her life.
  mrsdanaalbasha | Mar 12, 2016 |
Rule #1:
You may bring only what fits in your backpack. Don't try to fake it with a purse or a carry-on.

Rule #2:
You may not bring guidebooks, phrase books, or and kind of foreign language aid. And no journals.

Rule #3:
You cannot bring extra money or credit/debit cards, traveler's checks, etc. I'll take care of all of that.

Rule #4:
No electronic crutches. This means no laptop, no cell phone, no music, and no camera. You can't call home or communicate with people in the U.S. by internet or telephone. Postcards and letters are acceptable and encouraged.

That's all you need to know for now. See you at 4th Noodle.
For Kate Schafer, the greatest traveling companion in the world, and a woman who is not afraid to admit that she occasionally can't remember where she lives.
Dear Ginger, I have been a great follower of rules.
As a rule, Ginny Blackstone tried to go unnoticed—something that was more or less impossible with thirty pounds (she'd weighed it) of purple-and-green backpack hanging from her back.

Inside little blue envelope 1 are $1,000 and instructions to buy a plane ticket.

In envelope 2 are directions to a specific London flat.

The note in envelope 3 tells Ginny: Find a starving artist.

Because of envelope 4, Ginny and a playwright/thief/ bloke–about–town called Keith go to Scotland together, with somewhat disastrous–though utterly romantic–results. But will she ever see him again?

Everything about Ginny will change this summer, and it's all because of the 13 little blue envelopes.

Ages 12+

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:33 -0400)

When seventeen-year-old Ginny receives a packet of mysterious envelopes from her favorite aunt, she leaves New Jersey to criss-cross Europe on a sort of scavenger hunt that transforms her life.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,338,706 books! | Top bar: Always visible