13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

13 Little Blue Envelopes (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Maureen Johnson

Member:mjspear
Title:13 Little Blue Envelopes
Authors:Maureen Johnson
Info:HarperTeen (2006), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:travel, Europe, romance, artists, London

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (2005)

PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern (nookbooks)
    nookbooks: Main character gets series of envelopes with letters, after loved one's death, each one with a task to complete.
    Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn (kaledrina)
    Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (foggidawn)

This one was a bubblegum book for me, a few minutes of enjoyment but I didn’t get much from it. A teenager receives a packet of letters from her aunt who has just passed away. The letters take her on an adventure through Europe with new challenges at every turn.

The main character just felt sort of empty and cardboard to me. She never seemed to use any common sense and seemed clueless about even the simplest things. I would've much preferred to read an entire book about her aunt's life. It reminded me a lot of Just One Day with a similar hop around Europe. I loved reading about the cities and some of her experiences, but her personality fell flat for me and so there was no heart to the story. ( )
  bookworm12 | Aug 12, 2015 |
13 Little Blue Envelopes had always stuck me as that cheesy book that could be made into a chick flick movie at any minute. I never picked it up to actually read it because of that. However, I finally read the back of the book and it actually sounded interesting. After finishing it, I still can say it seems like a cheesy chick flick type book, but that it was pretty enjoyable.

Ultimately, this book is a good summer read. Nothing too serious, not too boring, and not too much unneeded fluff. 13 Little Blue Envelopes was a great combination of everything. However, it just never seemed to reach that climax of the story until the very end. When Ginny is robbed of everything and she's left wondering what to do did it finally reach that climax. Sure, she has a bunch of mysterious letters but as the reader, you already know that it's going to tell her to go travel somewhere. Nothing exciting. The ending, though, it was where all the meat is.

Maureen Johnson's writing style is simple and enjoyable. I found no flaws and it flowed so nicely. It really helped me focus on just the story and that's really nice to encounter every now and then. As a whole, the book was interesting, but not great. However, it did make me want to read the sequel! So thumbs up to that, 13 Little Blue Envelopes!

SpazzyDragon13 | Jul 7, 2015 |
Easy, quick read. Loved the idea behind the story, but the presentation was extremely rough and the main character, Ginny, should have been in her early 20's. ( )
  momma182 | Jun 23, 2015 |
I absolutely love this story! It's funny, hilarious yet sad at the same time. I don't think I could be half as brave as Ginny, going to Europe all by myself. I can't wait to start the sequel. ( )
  kelsey.hintzman | Feb 10, 2015 |
I really like this book because I identify with Ginny a lot. In fact, I think I am Ginny. Except, I'm fairly sure that if I got sent off to Europe, my adventures wouldn't turn out exactly like hers. Unfortunately.

Ginny is a very normal girl who goes chasing after her very abnormal aunt, and this is cool because for once the story isn't about the abnormal person. It's about a normal person trying to understand an abnormal person, and this is very beautiful to me because I think I am both a normal and an abnormal person constantly trying to understand the other half of my self.

Also, Ginny just has really fabulous adventures all over Europe. Keith and Richard are both very awesome. ( )
  BrynDahlquis | Feb 2, 2015 |
Rule #1:
You may bring only what fits in your backpack. Don't try to fake it with a purse or a carry-on.

Rule #2:
You may not bring guidebooks, phrase books, or and kind of foreign language aid. And no journals.

Rule #3:
You cannot bring extra money or credit/debit cards, traveler's checks, etc. I'll take care of all of that.

Rule #4:
No electronic crutches. This means no laptop, no cell phone, no music, and no camera. You can't call home of communicate with people in the U.S. by internet or telephone. Postcards and letters are acceptable and encouraged.

That's all you need to know for now. See you at 4th Noodle.
For Kate Schafer, the greatest traveling companion in the world, and a woman who is not afraid to admit that she occasionally can't remember where she lives.
Dear Ginger, I have been a great follower of rules.
As a rule, Ginny Blackstone tried to go unnoticed -- something that was more or less impossible with thirty pounds (she'd weighed it) of purple-and-green backpack hanging from her back.

Inside little blue envelope 1 are $1,000 and instructions to buy a plane ticket.

In envelope 2 are directions to a specific London flat.

The note in envelope 3 tells Ginny: Find a starving artist.

Because of envelope 4, Ginny and a playwright/thief/ bloke–about–town called Keith go to Scotland together, with somewhat disastrous–though utterly romantic–results. But will she ever see him again?

Everything about Ginny will change this summer, and it's all because of the 13 little blue envelopes.

Ages 12+

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:33 -0400)

When seventeen-year-old Ginny receives a packet of mysterious envelopes from her favorite aunt, she leaves New Jersey to criss-cross Europe on a sort of scavenger hunt that transforms her life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,152,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible