13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson

13 Little Blue Envelopes (original 2005; edition 2006)

by Maureen Johnson

Member:mjspear
Title:13 Little Blue Envelopes
Authors:Maureen Johnson
Info:HarperTeen (2006), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 368 pages
Tags:travel, Europe, romance, artists, London

13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson (2005)

PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern (nookbooks)
    nookbooks: Main character gets series of envelopes with letters, after loved one's death, each one with a task to complete.
    Dash & Lily's Book of Dares by Rachel Cohn (kaledrina)
    Just One Day by Gayle Forman (foggidawn)

READ IN DUTCH

Even though I normally don't like this sort of books, I did want to read this book a few years ago. One of my friends read it and told me about it. And I got interested in the story. After reading I thought that the story was original but completely unbelievable. There are happening so many weird things but nobody seems to care about that. I enjoyed reading, it wasn't hard to read it. You could read it rather fast, but I was not blown away by it. But I still bought her second book as well, but still need to read that one. ( )
  Floratina | Sep 21, 2014 |
A personal "Amazing Race" for a teen. Really fun concept and read, but I was hoping for a different ending. I'm not sure what it would be, but different. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
This really isn't a review of this book, but an explanation of why I left it unfinished. While reading, the author changed tense and POV in the book and it made it difficult and confusing to follow. ( )
  breakingbooks | Aug 13, 2014 |
I had to slog through to the end. Nice idea. But I would like a little more parental involvement in this. ( )
  annertan | Jul 31, 2014 |
Ginny's Aunt Peg was an artist. She would just up and leave when the mood struck her. Now, 17-year old Ginny has 13 blue envelopes, each with instructions on what Ginny is to do next. Envelope #1 has Ginny flying to London from New York before she can open the next envelope. Aunt Peg has left specific instructions and rules on following what's in the envelopes.

I thought this was a cute idea and I really enjoyed the book. It was really fast to read and I wanted to keep reading. It would have been nice to spend more time in each location that Ginny went (and because of that, Amsterdam I think, was my favourite because she spent the most time and saw the most things there), but it was still fun. Must admit I wasn't crazy about the “love interest”, though.

My edition had “extras” at the end. A couple of interviews with the author (loved that she wrote the book in a castle near Edinburgh!), and an “interview” with one of the characters of the book. Nice added touch. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 8, 2014 |
Rule #1:
You may bring only what fits in your backpack. Don't try to fake it with a purse or a carry-on.

Rule #2:
You may not bring guidebooks, phrase books, or and kind of foreign language aid. And no journals.

Rule #3:
You cannot bring extra money or credit/debit cards, traveler's checks, etc. I'll take care of all of that.

Rule #4:
No electronic crutches. This means no laptop, no cell phone, no music, and no camera. You can't call home of communicate with people in the U.S. by internet or telephone. Postcards and letters are acceptable and encouraged.

That's all you need to know for now. See you at 4th Noodle.
For Kate Schafer, the greatest traveling companion in the world, and a woman who is not afraid to admit that she occasionally can't remember where she lives.
Dear Ginger, I have been a great follower of rules.
As a rule, Ginny Blackstone tried to go unnoticed -- something that was more or less impossible with thirty pounds (she'd weighed it) of purple-and-green backpack hanging from her back.

Inside little blue envelope 1 are $1,000 and instructions to buy a plane ticket.

In envelope 2 are directions to a specific London flat.

The note in envelope 3 tells Ginny: Find a starving artist.

Because of envelope 4, Ginny and a playwright/thief/ bloke–about–town called Keith go to Scotland together, with somewhat disastrous–though utterly romantic–results. But will she ever see him again?

Everything about Ginny will change this summer, and it's all because of the 13 little blue envelopes.

Ages 12+

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:10 -0400)

When seventeen-year-old Ginny receives a packet of mysterious envelopes from her favorite aunt, she leaves New Jersey to criss-cross Europe on a sort of scavenger hunt that transforms her life.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,803 books! | Top bar: Always visible