The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen…

The Last Little Blue Envelope (edition 2012)

by Maureen Johnson

Member:akreese
Title:The Last Little Blue Envelope
Authors:Maureen Johnson
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson

In her conclusion to 13 Little Blue Envelopes, Maureen Johnson wraps Ginny's story in a sparkly box, drops it on our front porch and flies away via umbrella.

NOTE :: If you are reading this review without reading the first book, you will be spoiled, just a little bit.

I was wondering how the thirteenth envelope would find its way back to Ginny. As it was, Ginny didn't need to find it, she basically figure out what she was suppose to do. However, its contents still hung over our heads, mysterious, giving us no closure. What did Aunt Peg have to say? Where would Aunt Peg have sent her next?

In The Last Little Blue Envelope, we find some familiar characters and are introduced to some new faces. The way in which Aunt Peg's letters make their way back to Ginny is quite plausible. We're introduced to the mysterious and aloof Oliver and the fun and spontaneous Ellis, who accompany Keith and Ginny on the wild race to complete the request of the last letter.

I wasn't sure how she would do it, but Maureen managed to pull out from - seemingly - thin air a great plot, with elements from the first novel that I loved so much, while still allowing this book to be its own story. We travelled to old and new places, gained new experiences and found the final piece to the puzzle of Aunt Peg. The ending came so quickly that it left me wishing there was another envelope hidden somewhere that would allow us to continue travelling with Ginny and the gang.

If you enjoyed the first book, you'd definitely enjoy this one. There were more people involved and so, more relationships to explore, more complexities to deal with and more things to see. It really is true, "you can never visit the same place twice. Each time, it's a different story" and this one is a good one.

[arc via NetGalley] ( )
  iShanella | Dec 2, 2016 |
I must admit I was reluctant to read this sequel because of my issues with the first book. Don't get me wrong, Maureen Jonhson is a good writer, it's just that I wasn't satisfied with the story and characterization. But I'm happy I read this because I really enjoyed it; Ginny has more personality, the story is interesting and funny at times, there's a purpose to her journeys, and in some way, there's a responsible adult who guides Ginny. However, I do wish Ginny called her parents to at least greet them, it's the Christmas season for Pete's sake. Also, Ginny is a bit boy crazy and falls in love too quickly, but I'm glad with who she ends with. All in all this sequel wrapped up Ginny's story in an effective way. ( )
  VavaViolet | Aug 27, 2016 |
A sequel to "Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes" where Ginny Blackstone was sent on a mission across Europe via letters from her dead aunt. Now, however, it's Christmas holiday and Ginny returns to London after the last envelope, stolen along with her backpack in Greece, is found by a mysterious boy. ( )
  lillibrary | Jan 23, 2016 |
I didn't feel the same sense of adventure in this novel as I did the first, mostly because this book is focusing more (I felt) on the relationships of the various characters, as well as the characters themselves, then the actual adventure of it. I don't think this is a bad thing at all, the characters are wonderful and I enjoyed getting to know a couple of new ones in this book.

I so want Ms. Johnson to write another book, can be a spin-off, but I just love being in Ginny's life, I love seeing things from her perspective, and I don't ever want to stop. How cool would it be to travel to college with her (I want her to go to Oxford, duh) and see if she could explore something more with the boy at the end of this book (don't want to give away anything).

I will say that I predicted the ending in this book about a quarter of the way through but it was still expertly delivered, so I didn't mind at all. I hated Oliver through most of the book, but I started to hate Keith too, he turned out to be a bit more of an ass than I originally thought. I think Ginny can do way better and I hope she does (wink, wink). I adored Ellis, I mean, I was probably not supposed to because I heart Ginny so much but she was so fun, adventurous, and open. I adored that most about her.

I loved this book, can't wait to read everything Maureen Johnson has ever written. I am going to, trust me. I loved these two books and I will re-read them over and over. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
This book was a perfect second part to 13 Little Blue Envelopes. It wrapped everything up, brought back old characters and showed them in a new light, while introducing some great new characters. Someone has found Ginny's last letter from her aunt, so she goes abroad over Christmas break to finish what she started the previous summer. As aunt Peg says, you can't go home again, and while Ginny visits some of the same European countries as she did before, the book doesn't seem repetitive or tired at all. It's just as eye-opening and suspenseful as the first. I felt a little more emotional distance between myself as a reader and Ginny this time, and in certain sections I feel like she didn't show any emotional response at all, which seemed unnatural due to what was happening to her. Which isn't to say I didn't tear up at the end! Overall, it was a great read, very amusing and touching. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation.
—G.K. Chesterton
To all the jars. You know who you are.
Prologue
It was that time of day again.

Seventeen-year-old Ginny Blackstone precipitously travels from her home in New Jersey to London when she receives a message from an unknown man telling her he has the letters that were stolen just before she completed a series of mysterious tasks assigned by her now dead aunt, an artist.… (more)

112 wanted3 pay2 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,792,769 books! | Top bar: Always visible