The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen…

The Last Little Blue Envelope (original 2011; edition 2012)

by Maureen Johnson

Member:akreese
Title:The Last Little Blue Envelope
Authors:Maureen Johnson
Info:HarperTeen (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 288 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

The Last Little Blue Envelope by Maureen Johnson (2011)

Those who read 13 Little Blue Envelopes will recall Ginny Blackstone's whirlwind summer in Europe, following the instructions set forth by her late Aunt Peg in the first 12 envelopes. Before Ginny had a chance to open the 13th and last envelope, however, her backpack containing that envelope was stolen in Greece. Now back home in New Jersey, thinking about her college application essay and contemplating her future, she gets an email from a strange British guy who reveals he has her stolen backpack! Ginny decides to fly back to London for winter break to retrieve the 13th envelope and to hopefully rekindle her friendship with Keith. She also finds out the guy with the last envelope, named Oliver, offers to help Ginny follow Aunt Peg's instructions in that last envelope--but with a catch! Once again a fun romp thru Europe (including Amsterdam and Dublin) as Ginny not only pursues the items mentioned in the envelope, but her sense of self as well. ( )
  WickedWoWestwood | Apr 20, 2014 |
I really enjoyed this book. Great travel aspect and wonderful characters. I enjoyed it so much.

Full review can be found on my blog at www.thebooktower.webs.com ( )
  bookish92 | Mar 20, 2014 |
It is almost Christmas and Ginny gets the best present she could imagine: someone found her aunt's letters and wants to give it back to her! So, she heads to London to find Oliver, who doesn't just want to give her back the letters, but also wants a piece of the profit from the last artwork her aunt left. Is it worth it to travel around Europe with a blackmailer in order to get the letter back?

I liked the first one better...more adventurey, less angsty, but I am a sucker for any book where the main character travels abroad. As I finished the book I realized that this is a YA wannabe PS I Love You, which I also really enjoyed. ( )
  agrudzien | Aug 4, 2013 |
Not sure how I feel about this book. It was good but not as good as the original. ( )
  nicdar111 | Jun 19, 2013 |
*This review contains spoilers for 13 Little Blue Envelopes.*

The Last Little Blue Envelope has a slightly darker tone than the first book. Ginny is faced with a situation involving an extortionist named Oliver who she knows is not nice (and also might not be safe). She realizes though that she will have to travel with him to fulfill the instructions in the last envelope.

The boy she met in the first book decides to travel with her and Oliver, and she sees a different side of him that she hadn’t seen before. She begins to wonder who is the more despicable person – the one who is the extortionist or the one who is supposed to be her friend.

At first I was appalled at the darker tone of this book, but in the long run I ended up liking it just as much as the first. 13 Little Blue Envelopes was full of adventure and discovery, and personal growth as Ginny gains confidence in her ability to navigate through foreign countries. While the second book doesn’t lack those elements, it reflects the journey to maturity we all have to travel, in which we realize that people are not always what they seem, and that people sometimes mature at different paces. Ginny gets to see firsthand how it can take a while to know someone’s true character, and that there can be ugliness if you dig too deep.

In the end I appreciated that this wasn’t just a re-hash of the same plot from the first book. It was still a fast-paced read, and even with the heavier issues it was by no means a depressing book. The ending is upbeat, and some minor plot threads are not tied up, so I have to wonder if there could possibly be another sequel. ( )
  akreese | May 16, 2013 |
London is a riddle. Paris is an explanation. -G.K. Chesterton
To all the jars. You know who you are.
It was that time of day again.

Seventeen-year-old Ginny Blackstone precipitously travels from her home in New Jersey to London when she receives a message from an unknown man telling her he has the letters that were stolen just before she completed a series of mysterious tasks assigned by her now dead aunt, an artist.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,667,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible