Broken by Karin Slaughter

Broken

by Karin Slaughter

Series: Georgia (2), Will Trent (4), Sara Linton (8)

Recently added byErina39, durklehoward, LindaWeeks

English (85)  Dutch (4)  Italian (1)  All (90)
The fourth book of the Will Trent series opens late one night when a young woman is pulled from the lake. At first it looks like a suicide until the medical examination proves it is most definitely murder. Detective Lena Adams, a central character is Slaughter's Grant county series , along with Police Chief Frank Wallace go to the victim's apartment where they discover a masked intruder holding a knife. Things fall apart immediately and before long, one of the police officers is in the hospital. They take the suspect, Tommy Brahm, to jail and he eventually confesses. Lena and Frank and the entire local police force are convinced of Tommy's guilt, but this is just the beginning of a fascinating story.

Meanwhile Dr. Sara Linton is back home in Grant County for Thanksgiving. She gets a call from Frank telling her that her former patient, Tommy, desperately wants to see her. When she arrives at the jail, circumstances cause her to place a call to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and Will Trent is brought in. He starts investigating the police force, but it slowly turns into an investigation into the murder of the woman pulled out of the lake.

This is a difficult book to review without adding spoilers. The author has merged two series together and there's a lot of backstory here, especially Sara's hatred of Lena, the woman she blames for her husband's death several years ago. I've read the series before and am currently listening to them in audio. The author dies a wonderful job of portraying both good and bad sides of each character. Her ability to create realistic, three-dimensional characters is what makes this such a standout suspense series.
  Olivermagnus | Aug 9, 2017 |
This is one of my favourite authors and this story is an enjoyable read.
Great story - atmospheric, strong characters, blood curdling crimes. It's got it all.

For me, there was a tad too much 'drama' and too much time and attention spent on Sara's 'romance' with Will. A large chunk of time is also devoted to Sara's former husband, now deceased, and Sara's return at Thanksgiving to her family home with the inevitable stirring up of all the memories of happier days.
The thriller parts were good but they took too much of a back seat for my taste.
I have to say too, that the final playing out of the reason behind the murders was a little anti-climactic. This was due partly to the nature of the motives and partly to the fact that the Will/Sara dynamics were going strong throughout the final scenes.

For followers of this series - Lena is as strong a character in this story as Will Trent. Lena is strong, complicated and adds a lot of zest to the mix. I like her. Actually, she reminds me quite a bit of Will's wife (Angie).

The trouble with an author who sets the stakes so high is that you expect excellence all the time...
and, don't forget, I can be a very picky reviewer. Four stars. ( )
  AnnGirdharry | Feb 16, 2017 |
Oh yes, it's a great one by Karin Slaughter. It takes place down in south Georgia, more so than Atlanta, and a bit in Macon. Which are really three different worlds.

Lena, Sara, and Faith are all the women in the book, all of whom are whole women who have experienced different levels of shattering. Faith is a voice on the phone, Sara Linton (mother is Catherine Earnshaw Linton - great literary reference!) is the doctor come home for the holidays, and Lena Steele is the cop. And both Sara and Lena have their blind spots towards one another which gives the book a depth that one does not get from a cozy mystery. These could be real women dealing with real life.

Will Trent is down to investigate a murder/suicide and a possible cop cover-up and finds himself, with both Lena and Sara, in the midst of something he never imagined. Part of what I enjoyed about this book is that Lena has to work her way through Will: his thought processes, his questioning, and what he really wants to find out. And she knows what it is, but she is loyal to her boss until she realizes where it will get her. Then she does the brave and courageous thing and she and Will and Sara all uncover something truly tragic.

So this seems to be a prelude to a love relationship that is examined in further books by Karin Slaughter, as well as the setting for what becomes of Will and Faith later on. ( )
  threadnsong | Jul 27, 2016 |
Book Description When Special Agent Will Trent arrives in Grant County, he finds a police department determined to protect its own. Officer Lena Adams is hiding secrets from him, and while her role in the death of the county’s popular police chief is unclear, that man’s widow, Dr. Sara Linton, desperately needs Trent’s help to crack the case of a prisoner’s death. While the police force investigates the murder of a young woman pulled from a frigid lake, Trent investigates the police force. Caught between two complicated and determined women, trying to understand the facts surrounding Chief Tolliver’s death, Trent will uncover explosive secrets—and confront a thin blue line that could be murderous if crossed.

My Review This book was very intense but an excellent read. It's best to read this series in order. This one filled out the characters even more. I am right into the next book in the series, Fallen, as I need to find out more of the story. Karin Slaughter knows how to keep you on the edge of your seat! ( )
  EadieB | Jun 3, 2016 |
Twenty-one year old Allison Spooner is at the end of her rope. She is short of money, her boyfriend has disappointed her, and her rusted-out hulk of a car is on its last legs. She is struggling to keep up with her college classes at Georgia's Grant Tech while earning a pittance as a waitress in a diner. Sadly, her dream of escaping her tedious life is shattered by and unknown assailant. Evidence tells a darker story.

Karin Slaughter depicts the characters as three-dimensional human beings, warts and all, most of whom would like to fix what is broken in their lives. Unfortunately, not everyone has the courage, honesty, and motivation to face the truth and take the necessary steps to rectify what is wrong. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
As usual in this white-hot series (Fractured, 2008, etc.), the ongoing psychological warfare and the physical violence that punctuates it are far more memorable than the unmasking of the real killer.
added by mysterymax | editKirkus Reviews (Jun 3, 2010)

Slaughter, Karinprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ross, NatalieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sønsteng, GryTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sørensen, Henrik EnemarkTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Victoria
Allison Spooner wanted to leave town for the holiday, but there was nowhere to go.

Broken is the first Karin Slaughter book I have read and what I'm wondering is....how have I missed her for so long!! I will definitely be going back to read this series from the beginning as there are so many interesting characters. Once I picked this book up I really couldn't put it down. I hope to see more of Sara Linton and Will Trent. Great complex people and would be nice to see a little romance while catching the killer(s).

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385341970, Hardcover)

Karin Slaughter on Broken

For me, every novel begins with character rather than plot. I know something bad is going to happen, but the central question to every story I write is "how will my characters respond?" Over the years, I’ve certainly thrown some hard times at my Grant County characters. Jeffrey, Sara and Lena have changed a lot since Blindsighted, my first novel. They’ve seen hardship and adversity, grown together and grown apart. They have helped me explore the way crime can change not just people, but entire communities.

When I started writing about Will Trent in my Atlanta series, I wanted to take that exploration a step farther. As a special agent with the Georgia Bureau of Investigation, Will is generally called in when the local police either can’t handle or don’t want to deal with a case. Not only does he have to find the bad guy, he has to juggle the various egos already involved. This is certainly the situation in Broken, when Will is called into Grant County to investigate a possible suicide in police custody. He butts heads with Lena Adams and Frank Wallace, and uncovers a truth that most in the town do not want to see.

Bringing Will Trent into Sara Linton’s world was a fun challenge for me. With Undone, it was in many ways easy to put Sara in Atlanta. I live in the city, and the landscape is already painted for me. As a writer, I need only draw in the fine lines. Dropping Will into Grant County was a different challenge altogether. To work with an existing world that has developed over the course of eight books, to find new and interesting details for long-time readers, was a thrilling challenge to me. Finding a case that was as gripping as it was challenging was also an exciting rollercoaster ride. I hope my readers enjoy solving the crime--and watching the characters change along with it--as much as I did.

(Photo © Alison Rosa)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:38 -0400)

When Special Agent Will Trent arrives in Grant County, Georgia, he finds a police department determined to protect its own and far too many unanswered questions about a prisoner's death and about a policewoman's role in the death of Grant County's popular police chief.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Karin Slaughter's book Broken was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,501,515 books! | Top bar: Always visible