Mary's Penny by Tanya Landman

Mary's Penny

by Tanya Landman

Other authors: Richard Holland (Illustrator)

I did like this, but I feel like I should have been more excited about it than I was. I love that Mary steps up, but I wish it didn't have to be because her brothers are dumb (which is the implication, since they're "brawny" and she is described as brainy in contrast to them). And there's the tall, thin one and the short, fat one—but of course Mary is medium-height and slender. Just an awful lot of cliches for a story about defying expectations.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
This feminist fable, as the jacket copy describes it, has the comforting narrative flow of an oft-told fairy tale. A tricky riddle must be solved. events happen in threes, and the heroine comes up with a satisfying solution. A nice one for reading aloud. Add to collections where stories with strong female characters are sought. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
A cute little fable with a feminist message: it takes brains to run a farm, not brawn. Of course, Mary, the girl in the house who could never run a farm because she's a girl, wins some cute little challenge because she's smarter than her brothers and thus inherits the farm. It's like all of the Emperor Ping stories, but simpler & shorter.

As you can see, I'm hanging out in the library to cool off! ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I've always thought it paid to be smart and that's exactly what Mary thought too even though she was from a long time ago in the golden, olden days! ( )
  aileenstewart | Sep 23, 2011 |

Tanya Landmanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Holland, RichardIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0763647683, Library Binding)

With whimsical illustrations, a feminist fable proves that brains outweigh brawn when three siblings enter a most enlightening competition.

Long, long ago, in the golden, olden days, a farmer devised an ingenious competition to determine who should inherit his farm. Which of his children — Franz, Hans, or Mary — could fill the house with something that cost a mere penny? Did straw do the trick? Were feathers sufficient? Or did it take something a little more creative? Tanya Landman’s retelling of a traditional tale, illustrated with Richard Holland’s stylish artwork, reminds us that sometimes the greatest value can be had for only a penny.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:47 -0400)

A farmer learns that the best man for the job of farm manager is a girl, as his clever daughter bests his brawny sons in a competition.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,815,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible