Interrupting Chicken by David Ezra Stein

Interrupting Chicken (2010)

by David Ezra Stein

Love how this book addresses how prevalent blurting out is in school! My students loved it today andit really helped drive home why we need to raise our hands and let others finish speaking before we begin! ( )
  weisser4 | May 3, 2016 |
I loved this book for quite a few reasons. First, I loved the illustrators use of color and different medias. For instance, when chicken is listening to the traditional literature story the illustrator depicts the story in sepia while the little chicken is in bold bright colors. This tells the reader what is really happening or if it’s the story papa chicken is telling. I also liked the book because of its engaging writing. It engages the reading by using a lot of well-timed dialogue. An example of this is “They were just about to follow her when- out jumped a little red chicken and she said “DON’T GO IN! SHE'S A WITCH!” so Hansel and Gretel didn’t. THE END!” The reader enjoys engaging dialogue along with illustrations that enhance the humorous and cute mood of the story. The big message of the story is that it is rude to interrupt. ( )
  Rvealey | Apr 27, 2016 |
It’s time for the little red chicken’s bedtime story—and a reminder from Papa to try not to interrupt. But the chicken can’t help herself! Whether the tale is Hansel and Grettel or Little Red Riding Hood or even Chicken Little, she jumps into the story to save its hapless characters from doing some dangerous or silly thing. Now it’s the little red chicken’s turn to tell a story, but will her yawning papa make it to the end without his own kind of interrupting? Energetically illustrated with glowing colors—and offering humorous story-within-a-story views—this all-too-familiar tale is sure to amuse (and hold the attention of) spirited little chicks.A favorite joke inspires this charming tale, in which a little chicken’s habit of interrupting bedtime stories is gleefully turned on its head.Awarded a 2011 Caldecott Honor!
  wichitafriendsschool | Mar 25, 2016 |
I picked this book because from the title alone I knew that it would be a great book for all children who struggle with interrupting. For this book, I would have students draw a picture of themselves inside one of their favorite books. ( )
  ksd011 | Mar 16, 2016 |
This is a fun creative book about a chicken before bed time wanting their father to read a fairy tale before sleep. The chicken finds ways to interrupt her father and create a clever twist to every classic fairy tale. This book teaches about patience and imagination ( )
  LupeGodoy | Mar 14, 2016 |

Father and son are chickens in this book and it is bedtime for son, though, when it comes time for bedtimem stories the son is overwhelmed with excitement and inserts himself into each plot line of the few classics dad chicken tries to get through before he is able to get to the end of the story; be it Red Riding Hood, Hansel and Gretel or Chicke Little. The illustrations in this book are likely what will be what stand-out to the story.

Little Red Chicken wants Papa to read her a bedtime story, but interrupts him almost as soon as he begins each tale.

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,852,138 books! | Top bar: Always visible