Captain America: Winter Soldier Ultimate…

Captain America: Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection (edition 2010)

by Ed Brubaker, Steve Epting (Illustrator), Mike Perkins (Illustrator), Michael Lark (Illustrator)

41None277,380 (4.28)1
Member:gaialover
Title:Captain America: Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection
Authors:Ed Brubaker
Other authors:Steve Epting (Illustrator), Mike Perkins (Illustrator), Michael Lark (Illustrator)
Info:Marvel (2010), Edition: Second Printing, Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Read 2012, Own, Print--Swapped, Your library, Graphic Novel
Rating:***
Tags:fiction, for fun, graphic novel, series, captain america, avengers, marvel, side-kicks

Captain America: Winter Soldier Ultimate Collection by Ed Brubaker

The film cannot come out soon enough. I need more Cap in my life. I have a wishlist of things I would like to see directly translated from book to movie -- though many things will have to be changed, of course, to fit with MCU canon, there should be room for stuff like the "who the hell is Bucky?" moment. I'm looking forward to Falcon, who I haven't seen before reading this TPB.

I also have a list of things I don't want to happen, like that ending where Bucky just disappears leaving Steve believing he might be dead. Aaaah.

So in short, Brubaker is an amazing writer for Captain America -- there are some moments where he just nails everything Steve is. The art's good, too, and it all comes together really well in terms of pacing.

I don't really get people who don't like Steve. I mean, I can see plenty of reasons not to like the character, but the nobility and drive of him... It gets me right in all my feels. ( )
  shanaqui | Feb 23, 2014 |
I've never been much of a one for patriotic heroes, but The Ultimates version of the character and the recent film made me appreciate Cap in a new way. He's a more complex character now he lives in our modern world, and this book doesn't present him as a simple man. He was a soldier, after all, and his job was to kill people in war; now he's living in a time of relative peace, at least as he understands it, and working not on the front lines but as a supposedly covert operative.

This run is great; strong story, great character work, great art. The usual superhero comic book conventions are still there - I won't mention which ones, it'd be a bit of a spoiler - but the emotional weight of the story meant I gave a damn about those things, too.

If I have reservations, there are only a couple. Agent 13, the series' only female character, is potentially an interesting woman, but she's not deeply drawn; sure she's capable in the field, but of course has been the girlfriend of two of her fellow agents, and when she's sent off on a mission alone, she of course gets captured and needs to be rescued. She's a good woman hero for a comic, it should be said, but the bar is set so low, even these days. Thankfully they at least avoid any overt romantic sub-plot for her.

There's also the matter of continuity; this is surprisingly light on, especially for a Marvel or DC title, but I'm still a little shaky on who some of the guest characters are (particularly Falcon) and the MacGuffin of the Cosmic Cube - seemingly capable of limitless magic-at-a-price in this book - is a little dissatisfying when I don't really know what it is or what it can do. Especially since so many characters say things like "is that what I thin it is?", or "And you know what the Cosmic Cube can do..."

But those things don't prevent this from being a very strong script and a killer story. I really enjoyed it; I'll be looking out for more Brubaker. ( )
  labcoatman | Feb 6, 2014 |
Take my review with the grain of salt that 1) I am new to traditional comic book characters 2) I don’t like Captain America.

The story itself is bright and action-packed. Once I understood who the Red Skull and Bucky were, I started to get the feel for the tension in the story. The pages are well-drawn and easy to follow with lots to suck the reader in. Fans of Captain America will probably appreciate the chance to get to know more of his backstory, particularly concerning Bucky, his side-kick, and what happened to him. The Cosmic Cube was amusing as ever to watch corrupt people, and I definitely was surprised by the plot twist at the end. In spite of my distaste for the character, I was a bit tempted to read more.

Overall, then, this is an action-packed entry in the Captain America canon that simultaneously provides character development and backstory. Recommended to fans of Captain America.

Check out my full review: http://wp.me/pp7vL-W5 ( )
  gaialover | Jan 15, 2013 |
Captain America: Winter Soldier by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting is issue 7 (volume 44) in Marvel’s “Ultimate Graphic Novels Collection”. It collects together issues 8, 9 and 11 through to 14 from volume five of the Captain America monthly comic originally published between September 2005 and April 2006. I’ve never been much of a fan of Captain America (other than the work of Jack “King” Kirby – but that was more to do with The King’s work rather than the character), but this collection is absolutely first class and nothing short of a modern comics masterpiece. Technically this collection is Book 2 of the “Winter Soldier” saga, with the first half of the story outlining the events that lead up to a terrorist attack and the detonation of a weapon of mass destruction in Philadelphia. Surveillance footage suggests that the attack may have been perpetrated by a mythical Cold War warrior codenamed “Winter Soldier” under the command of a former Soviet general Aleksander Lukin. Captain America is frustrated at the American government’s inability to attack countries that sponsor terrorism and his concern grows even greater when it becomes apparent that the Winter Soldier may actually be James Buchanan “Bucky” Barnes. Bucky was Cap’s 16-year-old sidekick during the Second World War and until this point was assumed dead, having been killed trying to disarm a Nazi missile in mid-flight. The complex storyline has detailed flashbacks connecting the Second World War, the Cold War, modern terrorism and connects a range of points in Captain America’s history. This is played out with a complex cast of supporting characters including Sharon Carter, Nick Fury, the Falcon and the Red Skull.

In comics, no one ever stays dead, but in Marvel lore it was almost gospel that both Bucky and Uncle Ben stay dead. The resurrection of Bucky therefore required to be handled with great care and skill. Ed Brubaker pulls off the storyline with panache, serving up a mature storyline of terrorism and Cold War paranoia, which forms a plausible and highly emotional through-line for the Bucky character. Brubaker’s writing is highly cinematic, yet full of intricate, studied character development. With this story he delivers some of the very best writing in modern mainstream comics. Steve Epting’s brilliant artwork is every bit a match for Brubaker’s writing – the art here is realistic, detailed and expressive; both dynamic and naturalistic. Amazing Brubaker and Epting deliver an epic, touching storyline and manage to neatly sidestep what initially seemed like the ultimate heresy to the Marvel faithful. As always with the series there are extras and we have artist and writer profiles; a Bucky “origins” overview and a recommended further reading section. The book itself is a beautifully produced hardcover with excellent glossy pages that showcase the artwork to best effect. Overall this is an excellent package. ( )
  calum-iain | Oct 21, 2012 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,428,188 books! | Top bar: Always visible