Tooth and Nail by Craig Dilouie

Tooth and Nail

by Craig Dilouie

"But it is not enough to stay alive. A man must also have something for which he wants to live as well."

The Lyssa virus is rapidly spreading out of control and soldiers are pulled from the Middle East to help keep order back home in the United States. They are charged with protecting a hospital in New York City and keeping the desperate crowds under control. The last stage of Lyssa causes the patients to lose their minds and become aggressive. The soldiers are calling people suffering from this stage Mad Dogs. At one point, the Mad Dogs begin attacking and biting healthy people and spreading the disease even more rapidly. The soldiers are unprepared for this and don't want to fire on their fellow American citizens. As the Mad Dogs multiply, how will the soldiers, the army and everyone else in Manhattan survive?

This is one of the few books I've read that approaches the zombie apocalypse from where it started. And it shows how difficult it was for the soldiers both physically and mentally. They are sworn to protect the American people and now they have to kill some of them and leave others behind to fend for themselves. I enjoyed this book. It was in turn, heartbreaking, gory, thrilling and scary.

A scary & heartbreaking look at soldiers fighting against the beginning of the zombie apocalypse.

Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Not a fan of this one at all. Full of cliches and boring. I didn't care about any of the characters. I'm surprised I finished. ( )
  VungTauMantis | Jan 24, 2016 |
Great read once again by an imaginative writer. Click here to read my entire review. ( )
1 vote shanafesta | Oct 21, 2013 |
Tooth And Nail is Craig DiLouie’s take on a zombie story, and he sets his action in New York City and his focus is on an army company that has been brought back from fighting in the mid-east to aid in the outbreak of a influenza-like disease. At first they are simply deployed as aids to the public, guiding them to the care centers and keeping an orderly flow into the hospitals. Soon however, a twist to this disease starts to show up and eventually multiplies until the army is fighting in the streets for their lives and the very survival of America.

At first a small percentage of people undergo a change that turns people into flesh eating creatures, but soon this is happening to more and more of the population. As the soldiers try to complete their mission of rescuing a scientist that may be able to develop a vaccine for this strange yet powerful disease, we see America slowly shut down as this plague spreads.

Overall this was a fast moving, action filled story. I enjoyed the focus on the military aspects and how the author showed the soldiers trying to do their duty, while at the same time, worrying about their own loved ones far away. While not technically a true zombie story, this book has a lot of similarities to the movie 28 Days Later, and although the ending was left hanging, probably because there will be a sequel, I would recommend this book to both horror and zombie fans alike. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Sep 5, 2012 |
Very pleasurable book, well written and fast paced. I loved it till the end which has kind of spoiled me from a very good read : It felt like it was a trailer for the next opus. ( )
1 vote sbordage | Feb 13, 2011 |
Never will I fail my country's trust. Always I fight on -- Through the Foe, To the objective, To Triumph over all. If necessary, I fight to my death." - from "The Infantryman's Creed" / "Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster." - Friedrich Nietzsche
For Christine and Mieka
The end of the world will not come without a war

As a new plague related to the rabies virus infects millions, America recalls its military forces from around the world to safeguard hospitals and other vital buildings. Many of the victims become rabid and violent but are easily controlled-that is, until so many are infected that they begin to run amok, spreading slaughter and disease. Lieutenant Todd Bowman got his unit through the horrors of combat in Iraq. Now he must lead his men across New York through a storm of violence to secure a research facility that may hold a cure. To succeed in this mission to help save what's left of society, the men of Second Platoon will face a terrifying battle of survival against the very people they have sworn to protect-people turned into a fearless, endless horde armed solely with tooth and nail.

As a new plague related to the rabies virus infects millions, America recalls its military forces from around the world to safeguard hospitals and other vital buildings. To succeed in this mission to help save what's left of society, the men of the Second Platoon will face a terrifying battle of survival against the very people they have sworn to protect.… (more)

122 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,249,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible