Zoo City by Lauren Beukes

Zoo City (2010)

by Lauren Beukes

1,037778,137 (3.75)3 / 240
    The City & The City by China Miéville (Jannes)
    Jannes: Two noir-ish thrillers with (vaguely) supernatural themes. Centered around sort-of-contemporary, yet fantastical urban landscapes. Both are very unique, and feels alike even if there's not many superficial similarities. More to the point, they're both damn good reading.… (more)

English (74)  French (1)  German (1)  Hungarian (1)  All (77)
honestly didn't make it that far into the book before I had to put it down. Not for me. ( )
  zyphax | Dec 27, 2016 |
I think I liked this - it's so not my usual cup of tea and the big final scene with the underwater cavern and the extreme violence almost lost me. But I loved the premise and the setting and the story telling and the sheer momentum of the plot. so go figure, maybe it's good to read something so out of your comfort zone every once in a while. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
Lauren Beukes is becoming one of my favorite authors. She is a dark, gritty writer. She tells the story so well and I love how everything unfolds. I hope that she writes another book with Zinzi and her sloth. I really liked her story and would love to read more about her ability to find missing things. Can't wait to read her next book! ( )
  MinDea | Nov 9, 2016 |
Wildly imaginative SF novel set in Johannesburg at a time when people who've committed crimes are mysteriously saddled with an animal, which sets them apart as a class (the animalled have to live in their own ghetto and have trouble scraping together a living outside proper society). Our heroine is a kind of detective because she has a strange talent for finding lost things - and intuiting what things people have lost. It's weird and brilliant and utterly original.
  bfister | Aug 6, 2016 |
Zinzi December grew up rich and privileged, but her drug addiction led to the death of her brother and jail time. Now she lives in Zoo City, the ghetto for the animalled--people who are guilty of something so bad that an inexplicable force gave them an animal, which they are connected to for life. They cannot be separated from their animal without great pain. Animals are a source of shame and social stigma, and with a sloth in tow, Zinzi is forced out of journalism and into working odd jobs. With her creditor making increasing demands, she decides to take a lost persons case.

This is an unexpectedly lively book, with a strong, unique voice to the main character. The Johannesburg of the future is a bustling contrast of wealth and poverty, technology and old magics. Zinzi's friends and contacts are each interesting puzzles in their own right. The action is bloody, the magic rightfully scary, and the plot as twisted as classic noir. It was all too grim for my taste, but the darkness felt earned, not pasted on to earn cool points. (My one real caveat is the last chapter, which feels a little abrupt.) ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
It's a style that can be challenging, and the thriller plot – involving a reclusive, ghastly music producer (like a dreadfully gone-to-seed South African Simon Cowell) and an unfortunate pair of X-Factor-ish teen-pop twins – isn't much help. In the proud tradition of Chandler and Hammett, possibly Beukes herself isn't sure who did what to whom, in what order and why, on the way to a supremely messy and disgusting climax. But like Gibson, she brings a secret tenderness and humanity to her off-kilter portrait of the here and now. What her many fans will remember, and value, is deadbeat Zinzi's personal journey, towards a frail but determined integrity.

Lauren Beukesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Picacio, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

WHERE NO ONE ELSE DARE VENTURE…

Zinzi has a Sloth on her back, a dirty online 419 scam habit – and a talent for finding lost things. But when her latest client, a little old lady, turns up dead and the cops confiscate her lastpaycheck, she’s forced to take on her least favourite kind of job: missing persons

An astonishing second novel from the author of the highly-acclaimed Moxyland.

FILE UNDER: Modern Fantasy [Black Magic Noir / Pale Crocodile / Spirit Guardians / Lost Stars]

From the Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:59 -0400)

Zinzi has a talent for finding lost things. Being hired by famously reclusive music producer Odi Huron to find a teenybop pop star should be her ticket out of Zoo City, the festering slum of the criminal underclass. Set in a wildly re-imagined Johannesburg, it mixes refugees, crime, the music industry, African magic and the nature of sin.… (more)

Angry Robot

3 editions of this book were published by Angry Robot.

Editions: 0857660551, 0857660543, 085766056X

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,691,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible