The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing,…

The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Traitor to the Nation, Volume I:… (2006)

by M. T. Anderson

cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
This was very intense for a YA historical fiction. Boston in the 1770s through the eyes of a young black man who has been educated in the western classics as an "experiment". He tells most of the tale and the parts he cannot tell are expressed in letters written by characters around him. It's fascinating and depressing and not for the weak of stomach. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
Fascinating way to form a fantasy-world within the 'real' historical world, while unobtrusively pointing out the horrors of #slavery in an almost upside-down kind of way. This review will be finished shortly... ( )
  FourFreedoms | May 17, 2019 |
Outstanding novel about one boy's experience of slavery during the revolutionary war. He is raised as an experimental subject, given a strenuous classical education, many luxuries, no freedom, and little kindness. When his situation worsens to that of an ordinary house slave, he must somehow cope with a life of slavery in the midst of a war for freedom.
This book has a slow start, so may be a hard sell to teens. It will hook them if they persevere a bit. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I listened to this on my way back and forth from work. Since it's a new job and I drive to new places every week, my GPS talked over it a lot in the beginning and made me miss a bunch. Eventually I got the idea pretty much of what was going on though. It okay. I can definitely tell why my daughter enjoyed it with her love of Latin and some of the more disturbing descriptions. And I liked the way the ending was done. But I'm not sure I would want to be investing any more of my time in another book following this one. ( )
  Sarahliz2182 | Jul 1, 2017 |

M. T. Andersonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dubois, GérardCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
James, Peter FrancisNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zelei, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I was raised in a gaunt house with a garden; my earliest recollections are of floating lights in the apple-trees.

A gothic tale becomes all too shockingly real in this mesmerizing magnum opus by the acclaimed author of FEED.

It sounds like a fairy tale. He is a boy dressed in silks and white wigs and given the finest of classical educations. Raised by a group of rational philosophers known only by numbers, the boy and his mother — a princess in exile from a faraway land — are the only persons in their household assigned names. As the boy's regal mother, Cassiopeia, entertains the house scholars with her beauty and wit, young Octavian begins to question the purpose behind his guardians' fanatical studies. Only after he dares to open a forbidden door does he learn the hideous nature of their experiments — and his own chilling role in them. Set against the disquiet of Revolutionary Boston, M. T. Anderson's extraordinary novel takes place at a time when American Patriots rioted and battled to win liberty while African slaves were entreated to risk their lives for a freedom they would never claim. The first of two parts, this deeply provocative novel reimagines the past as an eerie place that has startling resonance for readers today.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:20 -0400)

Various diaries, letters, and other manuscripts chronicle the experiences of Octavian, a young African American, from birth to age sixteen, as he is brought up as part of a science experiment in the years leading up to and during the Revolutionary War.… (more)

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763624020, 0763636797

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,761,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible