Through a Dog's Eyes by Jennifer Arnold

Through a Dog's Eyes (2010)

by Jennifer Arnold

86None140,249 (3.8)3

No reviews
The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.

--Mahatama Gandhi
In loving memory of Nicholas, my forever dog.
Early one cool September morning when I was sixteen years old, I jumped out of my bed, headed for the bathroom.

A stirring, inspiring book with the power to change the way we understand and communicate with our dogs.

Few people are more qualified to speak about the abilities and potential of dogs than Jennifer Arnold, who for the past twenty years has trained service dogs for people with physical disabilities and special needs.   Arnold has developed a unique understanding of dogs' capabilities, intelligence, sensitivity, and extrasensory skills.  Her training method is based on teaching dogs to make choices--as opposed to following commands--through kindness and encouragement rather than fear and submission, and her results are extraordinary.

To Arnold, dogs are neither wolves in need of a pack leader nor babies in need of coddling; rather they are extremely trusting beings attuned to their owners' needs and they aim to please.  Relationships between dogs and humans go awry when we fail to understand our dogs and when we send them confusing, mixed signals.   Arnold's firsthand experience--from what moved her to start her exemplary nonprofit to how she developed her methodology--guides this book and gives it a powerful emotional heft.   Stories drawn from Arnold's life and the lives of the dogs who were her greatest teachers are convincing, unforgettable, and compelling testimony, making this book a heartwarming, captivating read that will forever change the way you see your dog by showing you the way your dog sees the world.  [from the jacket]

CONTENTS:

Emotion
Personality plus
Language
The canine character
The serious business of play
Choice teaching
Partners.

The author, a trainer of service dogs, presents insights into the capabilities, intelligence, and sensitivity of dogs, and discusses the relationship between dogs and humans; and helps humans in understanding dogs by understanding how they see the world.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,442,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible