The Cat in the Cradle by Jay Bell

The Cat in the Cradle (edition 2010)

by Jay Bell (Author), Andreas Bell (Illustrator)

"To set out into the world, to be surrounded by the unknown and become a stranger. Only then would he be free to reinvent himself. Or fall in love. Dylan wanted one last adventure before the burden of adulthood was thrust upon him. And to confront the man he hadn't spoken to since their intimate night together. Stealing a boat with his faithful companion Kio, their journey is cut short when they witness a brutal murder. A killer is loose in the Five Lands and attacking the most powerful families. Dylan-a potential target-seeks sanctuary from an unpredictable bodyguard named Tyjinn. Together they decide to turn the tables by hunting the killer down. Along the way, everything Dylan thought he knew about himself will be challenged, but if he survives, he stands to win the love he never dreamed possible. The Cat in the Cradle is the first book in the Loka Legends series and features twenty-five original illustrations created by Andreas Bell, the author's husband. --- 5+ stars from BookWenches: "Mr. Bell's story combines youthful exuberance with mature humor, a fantastic adventure with political rhetoric, and an almost whimsical landscape with darkness and fear. I found this book to be fascinating and unusual and unexpectedly delightful, and I enjoyed every word of it." From 3 AM and Reviews by Jesse Wave: "The Cat in the Cradle is an utterly delightful, whimsical fantasy filled with a creative imaginative plot, great characters, solid writing, and eye catching art work." From Beyond Understanding says: "Many, many kudos to Jay Bell for writing such a riveting novel. I haven't read a book from cover to cover in one sitting for quite a while; The Cat in the Cradle, though, caused me to forget everything and just escape into a fantastical world full of magic and romance."--… (more)
Member:equanimity23
Title:The Cat in the Cradle
Authors:Jay Bell (Author)
Other authors:Andreas Bell (Illustrator)
Info:Swimming Kangaroo Books (2010), 264 pages
Tags:to-read, fantasy, e-reader

The Cat in the Cradle by Jay Bell

I liked the story a lot though it moved like molasses more often than not. The descriptions were beautiful, and the world and magic, exciting! ( )
  LaPhenix | Jan 4, 2018 |
This YA fantasy with a gay adolescent protagonist manages to do a pretty good job of fantasy as well as its coming of age theme. The hero needs to take the risk of acknowledging his love in order to fully find and use his magical powers. The fantasy elements hold together pretty well, though I didn't feel entirely identified with the main characters, perhaps because the narrative told rather than showed. A little sexist decision-making toward the end annoyed me, especially since the female oligarchs wielded considerable plot-changing power. It also struck me as too easy that the villainous oligarch was the only person to denigrate Dylan's love. Still, it's nice to see a matter-of-fact treatment of homoeroticism in a YA fantasy. ( )
  OshoOsho | Mar 29, 2013 |
Sloppy writing, paper thin characters and worst of all: shallow and unconvincing worldbuilding.
Some fantasy novels stand or fall with the originality of their magic systems, otherwise struggling works like Kirith Kirin gain in depth by the thought and effort that the author invested into the workings of magic in their world.
Here the magic is gimmicky and cartoonish, everything is explained and not shown, just a list of ten colors and gems that stand for a certain kind of magic derived from five different sources. It comes across as mysterious as a technical manual.

The travels of our characters are equally unengaging, a succession of places that remain sketchy and fleshless.

The one aspect that should have redeemed Bell's novel is the relationship of the two young wizards (the reason why I bought the book in the first place). Unfortunately there is not much of a story to be told here. Apparently this world is more homophobic than ours, for our main character is afraid to tell anyone about being in love with another guy, but what kind of belief system lead to the angsty insecurities of our main character is left for the readers imagination. So it just stands there as a plot device, to gain some allusion of conflict, but since we already know they both love each other from the beginning I couldnt muster a lot of excitement to see it to its inevitable conclusion. ( )
  maledei | Sep 12, 2010 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,576,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible