Teenage Waistland by Lynn Biederman

Teenage Waistland

by Lynn Biederman

39None290,044 (4.14)None

This book shows that over eating is not the only problem most over weight teens have. I liked that it is told from the ppoint of view of several teens. ( )
  WarriorLibrary | Mar 26, 2012 |
Reviewed by Jennifer Rummel for TeensReadToo.com

Eating for comfort is just the tip of the iceberg for this group of obese teens. They've each qualified for a weight loss trial surgery - the Land-Band procedure is currently available only for adults. With this trial, the teens are required to keep a journal, write down a truthful account of their food intake, and attend weekly group therapy sessions, as the surgery is only a tool and not a solution.

Told in alternative perspectives, Marcie, East, and Bobby share their ups and downs in the aftermath of the surgery. The group comes together to form Teenage Waistland, a support group. They share more than just their favorite foods. Friendships are made and broken. Romantic relationships begin. Family drama ensues. Secrets are revealed.

While dealing with a serious matter, including different points of view makes this book enjoyable to read. The teens' lives deal with significant issues which all changed their eating habits. They dig down to the deeper roots of their issues and, in some cases, begin the healing process.

TEENAGE WAISTLAND is a satisfying, emotional read that will linger with you after the last page has turned. ( )
1 vote | GeniusJen | Sep 23, 2011 |
Great story about four teens' struggle with obesity. Goes beyond the weight and into what makes them tick. ( )
  hrmason | Aug 3, 2011 |
This book immediately grabbed my attention. I was so impressed by the way the authors handled the subject matter of teenagers with obesity. The serious subject matter was tempered at just the right moments with comic relief. The perspectives were fresh, the conflicts were very interesting and psychological. I highly recommend this book! ( )
  KeeperOfMysteries | Jan 28, 2011 |
Marcie, Age 16, Starting Weight: 288 LBS.

Robert, Age 16, Starting Weight: 335 LBS.

East, Age 15, Starting Weight: 278 LBS.

All three of these teens join a whole bunch of other teens in entering into an experimental study of the effects of the Lap-Band on teen patients. Each of the teens chosen for this study is obese, and each has some underlying emotion issue that has caused their weight gain. Though some of these teens don't want to admit why they need help, they know that they do. And, they're willing to try anything to get it.

I think that this book is a pretty revolutionary one for teen readers. We've all seen reality shows where people compete to lose weight, and we've all seen the emotional layers that come off as the pounds melt away. And, we've all seen the headlines: America is an obese nation.

Given our current nutritional climate, this book should be of some help and inspiration to those who find themselves teen-aged and morbidly obese. The stories of these three teens and the others profiled in the book could be anyone's life. Sure, there are some dramatic sub-plots that all teens won't be able to relate to, but the lives portrayed in this novel are fairly typical. The lives of the teens are not all bad and they're certainly not all good. They have issues with parents and siblings and pressure to fit in and date. Unfortunately, most lack the confidence to pursue relationships with others. So, when they come together, they form an easy alliance.

My hope would be that this book not go unread by teens (and adults) who have not had significant issues with food or weight in their lives. I think that one aspect of this book that was done extremely well was the portrayal of the realistic feelings and emotions that these teens feel in relation to carrying their weight and shedding it. Skinnier people do not necessarily make happier, more well-adjusted people. So, there is enormous potential for others to learn to be sensitive to others who find themselves in a toxic relationship with food.

There are so very many YA books that deal with anorexia and bulimia, but there are so few that talk about binge eating and overeating. I am not saying that there should not be books about the first two eating disorders, but there is definitely room to hear about the realities of those who hide emotions or stuff down feelings with food. This is a type of eating disorder as well. And, it's one that we need to understand more about if we ever hope to heal a growing number of people in our country who are hurting--especially our kids. ( )
1 vote mrsderaps | Nov 11, 2010 |

“You all believe that losing one-hundred-plus pounds will solve everything, but it won’t. Something far heavier is weighing on you, and until you deal with that, nothing in your lives will be right.”
 –Betsy Glass, PhD, at first weekly group counseling session for ten severely obese teens admitted into exclusive weight-loss surgery trial

Patient #1: Female, age 16, 5'4", 288 lbs.
Thrust into size-zero suburban hell by remarried liposuctioned mom. Hates new school and skinny boy-toy stepsister.Body size exceeded only by her big mouth.
Patient #2: Male, age 16, 6'2", 335 lbs.
All-star football player, but if he gets “girl surgery,” as his dad calls it, he’ll probably get benched.Has moobies—male boobies. Forget about losing his V-card—he’s never even been kissed.
Patient #3: Female, age 15, 5'6", 278 lbs.
Morbidly obese and morbid, living alone with severely depressed mother who won’t leave her bed.Best and only friend is another patient, whose dark secret threatens everything Patient #3 believes about life.
Told in the voices of patients Marcie Mandlebaum, Bobby Konopka, and Annie “East” Itou, Teenage Waistland is a story of betrayal, intervention, a life-altering operation, and how a long-buried truth can prove far more devastating than the layers of fat that protect it.

Contains an afterword by Jeffrey L. Zitsman, MD, director of the Center for Adolescent Bariatric Surgery at Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:09 -0400)

In their separate voices, three morbidly obese New York City teens relate their experiences participating in a clinical trial testing lap-band surgery for teenagers, which involves a year of weekly meetings and learning to live healthier lives.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,461,853 books! | Top bar: Always visible