The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, Book 1) by…

The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, Book 1) (edition 2012)

by Rick Riordan

Member:FeliceChan
Title:The Lost Hero (Heroes of Olympus, Book 1)
Authors:Rick Riordan
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 576 pages

The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (cyderry)
    The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan (deslivres5)
    deslivres5: Riordan works his mythology magic again, but this time with the Egyptian gods and myths.
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini (hermionewannabe)
    hermionewannabe: If you enjoy fantasy works than you will love the Eragon series.

English (269)  French (2)  All (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (273)
I wasn't sure how I felt about leaving the original characters behind for this book, but I have to admit it did grow on me. I really enjoyed the intertwining of the Roman and Greek gods into the story line. I also really like that we are seeing some of the things that were forshadowed in previous books (Annabeth saying 'demigods don't go to San Francisco') be explained. I really look forward to seeing how Jason's troubles are resolved and meeting up with Percy agian! ( )
  AngelaRenea | Jan 12, 2019 |
Jason, Piper, and Leo get escorted to Camp Half Blood by Coach Hedge, the satyr. At first, they had no clue what was going on because they thought that they were just regular kids at the juvenile school. But when Jason mysteriously showed up on the school bus, Coach Hedge knew that they were not normal kids. After they barely got familiar with camp, they were immediately sent on a quest to save Hera, the queen of the gods so they can stop the king of giants from rising. First problem they had was running into the king of the South Wind who wanted to kill them, but then changed his mind. Second, they ran into Medea, who used charmspeak to lure Jason and Leo into her trap, but Piper was able to charmspeak Medea into stopping. Piper was able to charmspeak because she is the daughter of Aphrodite. Thirdly, they got shot down out of the sky by King Midas, who could turn anything to gold, at just one touch, including humans. The only thing that could transform the object back into its regular form is water. He turned out to be evil though, and turned Piper to gold. Luckily, Jason and Leo fought off Midas and quickly bathed Piper in a stream nearby. Although she was freezing cold, she was ok. Then, finally, they reached Hera’s cage. Leo, the son of Hephaestus, began working on the cage, but they were too late. They felt the ground tremble underneath them and Porphyrion, the king of giants awakened. Jason, being the son of Zeus to his staff and quickly sprang into action. He dodged and attacked until Porphyrion got weak. The Jason jabbed Porphyrion in the ankle and he sank back to the ground. He was not dead though. During this time, Leo and Piper got Hera out of the cage and they returned back to camp.

This book is not my favorite book by Riordan because of the new characters and new enemies. Still the action in this book is really “edge of the seat”. For example, when Jason fought Porphyrion and when Medea was luring them into her trap. Also, this book had teamwork. Without Jason’s fighting skills, they would have not been able to save Hera. Lastly, the characters showed determination. If they gave up on the first challenge they had, they never would have made it. I rate this book 4 out of 5. ( )
  PhillipO.B4 | Dec 30, 2018 |
I liked the first Greek series by Rick Riordan with Percy Jackson, and so I thought I'd like this one as well. It took a while for me to get into this book because while there were a few characters, like Annabeth and Chiron, there were a ton of new characters too. But, while it took longer to get into this book than any from the PJ series, when I did it was as just a fun read as the PJ series.

We got to meet Piper and Leo, two demigods, who are a couple of impressive demigods. And then there's Jason. He appears on the bus with Leo and Piper with a problem, he has no memory of who he is or any of his past.

They get rescued by Annabeth and Butch (a son of Iris) and go back to Camp Half Blood. But as u sual the three of them don't stay there for long. They get a quest. Save Hera and they have a chance to save the world.

I did guess who the main antagonist was. She's an unnamed female who wants to destroy all the demigods.

But, as usual, the different takes on the well known myths and gods were interesting.

And then there was Leo. I just loved the character. P iper and Jason grew on me, but Leo's character seemed to have the most in depth backstory. And I've always sorta liked Hephaestus in the Greek Pantheon. Hopefully he doesn't get lost in the rest of the books in the series.

It was a unique take on how to explain the Greek vs. Roman gods, demigods, and stories for sure. ( )
  DanieXJ | Dec 15, 2018 |
I loved the Percy Jackson series, and this first book of a spinoff series is a good, solid pick. Lots of action and adventure, new heroes, and plenty of Greek mythology, now with Roman mythology for extra flavor. ( )
  sprainedbrain | Dec 1, 2018 |

FIRST READ REVIEW: 0ctober 12, 2012
Oh, Rick Riordan and his Percy Jackson series's. (that's very word. does anyone know the proper plural form of 'series'?)
Firstly, If you HAVE not read the original Percy JAckson series, then stop looking at the reviews for this book and go read the original PJ series.
A Basic understanding and knowledge of the original Percy Jackson series is a prerequisite for reading the series. That's right, I just said prerequisite, like in math pre-algebra is a prerequisite for Algebra, but no worries, you will not be thinking about math while reading Percy Jackson.

now, that all that is over..... Hallelujah!
let us praise Rick Riordan for writing another Percy Jackson series! Despite the fact that there are many book series where I and other fans would love a sequel series with mostly all the same characters, it doesn't happen very often. :(
And I know some ppl who say Rick Riordan was just milking Percy Jackson for the money, but honestly... WHO CARES??? Percy Jackson is BACK, and that's all that matters!
Of course, in this particular book, Percy Jackson is only mentioned in this book, not seen, but still!

Now that I'm done talking about Percy Jackson, let's move on to the main characters of this book.
Jason: Awesome. I need say no more about that. I like how he ended up being related to Thalia. I know you're like, well, they're both children of Zeus/Jupiter, of course they're related, but on their mom's side to. I just love how complicated and twisted that is.
Piper: is amazing. She's a daughter of Aphrodite, but she does absolute best to avoid everything shallow and pointless. and by the end of book, she's pretty tough.
Leo: Ah, Leo. I love you. even if Khione wants you to die, and Thalia can't date you because she's a hunter of Artemis, I'M FREE!!!!! Seriously, I am not in a committed relationship, if you want my number, just ask.

I cried when Festus broke.

My Fave Quote from the book:

"All right, cupcakes," Coach Hedge announced. "You are about to see the Grand Canyon. Try not to break it."
-pg. 11

Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |

Rick Riordanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Rekiaro, IlkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Swanson, JoshuaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Haley and Patrick, always the first to hear stories. Without them, Camp Half-Blood would not exist.
Even before he got electrocuted, Jason was having a rotten day.
There are several books with this title by different authors.
Jason has a problem. He doesn’t remember anything before waking up in a bus full of kids on a field trip. Apparently he has a girlfriend named Piper and a best friend named Leo. They’re all students at a boarding school for “bad kids.” What did Jason do to end up here? And where is here, exactly?

Piper has a secret. Her father has been missing for three days, ever since she had that terrifying nightmare. Piper doesn’t understand her dream, or why her boyfriend suddenly doesn’t recognize her. When a freak storm hits, unleashing strange creatures and whisking her, Jason, and Leo away to someplace called Camp Half-Blood, she has a feeling she’s going to find out.

Leo has a way with tools. When he sees his cabin at Camp Half-Blood, filled with power tools and machine parts, he feels right at home. But there’s weird stuff, too—like the curse everyone keeps talking about. Weirdest of all, his bunkmates insist that each of them—including Leo—is related to a god.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 142311339X, Hardcover)

After saving Olympus from the evil Titan lord, Kronos, Percy and friends have rebuilt their beloved Camp Half-Blood, where the next generation of demigods must now prepare for a chilling prophecy of their own:

Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.

Now, in a brand-new series from blockbuster best-selling author Rick Riordan, fans return to the world of Camp Half-Blood. Here, a new group of heroes will inherit a quest. But to survive the journey, they’ll need the help of some familiar demigods.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:13:17 -0400)

Jason, Piper, and Leo, three students from a school for "bad kids," find themselves at Camp Half-Blood, where they learn that they are demigods and begin a quest to free Hera, who has been imprisoned by Mother Earth herself.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141334010, 0141325496

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,699,010 books! | Top bar: Always visible