Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A. S. King

Please Ignore Vera Dietz (2010)

by A. S. King

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr (weener)
    weener: Both the protagonists work in a pizza restaurant, but the similarities don't end there.
    The Freak Observer by Blythe Woolston (weener)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (MickyFine)
    Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes (kaledrina)

A book I acquired through Book Riot Quarterly box ages ago. The recommendation was gushing, but I'm picky about YA, so it's been languishing on my shelves. Finally picked it up the other night when I was "supervising" one of my son's sleepovers.

The book hooked me and pulled me through fairly quickly -- even as I spent much of my time reading wondering when in time this story was supposed to take place. Between the "Great Hunter" spirit in the woods, some vaguely cringey observations about Mexicans moving in to town, all the smoking and leather jackets -- something about it gave me more of an 80s feel than anything supposed to be contemporary. Or maybe it's just because I haven't read this type of book since the early 90s?

I did like the book's final resolution -- Vera's furious/sad realization/accusation that being trained to ignore their neighbor's abuse at the hands of her husband trained Vera and her family to ignore all sorts of wrongs and pains. This moment kind of retroactively improved my perspective on much of the apathy that had bothered me earlier in the book. But I was still kind of "meh" on the whole thing. Quite possible that I judged it more harshly because of the hype, though. ( )
1 vote greeniezona | Dec 3, 2018 |
When the dead guy and a pagoda have chapters, you have to love the book. Such an original style! The author moves the plot along in a way that parallels
Vera's growth and awareness of herself with back flashes and hallucinations that tell the story behind the story. I actually felt her come out behind the fog of vodka in the water bottle under her seat.
Worthy of Prinz Honor book award! ( )
  ioplibrarian | Aug 26, 2018 |
I have read and enjoyed a lot of AS King books; I thought this was the weakest AS King book I had read. I just felt that it was missing the special magical realism of King’s other books and thought the story was a bit boring and typical YA.

In this book Vera is trying to recover after the death of her lifelong friend Charlie. As part of this she is trying to uncover the secret as to why Charlie’s behavior became so self destructive towards the end of his life.

This book is full of lots of high school drama and kids acting out. It also makes a strong commentary on people ignoring the misfortune or troubles of those around them in order to not “make waves”.

It’s fine for what it is; which is mainly a coming of age story in which Vera struggles with the tough life Charlie has faced and the fact that Vera and her family didn’t do anything to help or stop it. It just didn’t grab me like other AS King books have and didn’t make me feel wonder or intrigue...it just made me feel tired.

Overall this was an okay book. However, I felt like I had read many similar stories before in many contemporary YA novels. It was okay but not great and I could have taken or left it. ( )
  krau0098 | Aug 10, 2018 |
Please Ignore Vera Dietz was not hyped for nothing. The book is delightful, if not the cotton candy styled happy reading times that Sorta Like a Rock Star was. The story follows the death of Vera Dietz' best friend, and worst enemy, Charlie Kahn.

The book is centered around the idea of overcoming the expectations that life has placed upon you. If your parents are alcoholics, do you follow the path to alcoholism? What if your parents are abusive? Are you destined to just follow those footsteps?

While told with a tinge of humor, the humor at no point overpowers the heavy themes that the book is dealing with. All in all, the book deserves the accolades that it received. It gives the reader a lot to think about, and perhaps the hope to pull out of whatever predetermined path of negativity they fear they are following. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
Decent story but a little anti-climatic. A lot of info and build up for not much of an ending. I did like the alternate POVs of Charlie, Vera, her dad and even the pagoda. There was a little humor and quite a bit of heartache. The best part of the book was the relationship between father and daughter and how it improves throughout the book, along with Vera's personal growth. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Jun 4, 2018 |

King, A. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Edmunds, DanaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Greenberg, Melissa A.Cover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Houck, LyndeNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
What is your original face, before your mother and father were born? -- Zen koan
For my parents, who taught me about flow charts . . . and everything else.
Before I died, I hid my secrets in the Master Oak.

When her best friend, whom she secretly loves, betrays her and then dies under mysterious circumstances, high school senior Vera Dietz struggles with secrets that could help clear his name.

A. S. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,562,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible