Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

Please Ignore Vera Dietz (2010)

by A.S. King (Author)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr (weener)
    weener: Both the protagonists work in a pizza restaurant, but the similarities don't end there.
    The Freak Observer by Blythe Woolston (weener)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (MickyFine)
    Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes (kaledrina)

I am having a hard time pulling myself out of this story to write about why I loved it so much.

Every time I read one of A.S. King's books, I want to read another one. Everybody Sees the Ants, Ask the Passengers, Reality Boy, and now Please Ignore Vera Dietz. She never disappoints. I always want to recommend the one I've just read to someone, like, immediately upon finishing--stop what I'm doing and take it to someone, thrust it in their face, and say, "You HAVE to read this." ( )
  readerspeak | Feb 20, 2015 |
Excellent voice, thought-provoking, realistic and heartbreaking but thankfully the book did not leave me feeling beaten down or bitter about humanity. Very interesting structure, too! Interspersed with the current timeline are historical interludes about what happened between Vera and her now-dead former best friend Charlie, as well as sections from the POV of her father, Charlie (as a "ghost"), and a local eyesore/landmark pagoda. I loved how the mystery (what really happened to Charlie) gradually untangled.
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
Entertaining, interesting book -- but ultimately a mess. Lots going on -- teen death, emerging sexuality, abuse, poverty, alcoholism (teen and parent) and so on and so on. Okay for a mature 8th grader ready for some of these heavier themes. ( )
  amydelpo | Dec 9, 2014 |
Angsty, mysterious, dogged -- all the things I like in a YA novel. Our female protagonist is dealing with the death of a friend, delivering pizzas, living with her SAH father, and the onset of graduation. But all these details are methodically revealed throughout the novel through frequent flashbacks, scene changes, and memories.

The style of this book takes some bold risks, doing lots of things they say not to do. 97% of the novel is the main protagonist, but there are scenes from the antagonist girl, the dead boy, even an inanimate building. (And I get yelled at for one head-hopping scene in my novel.) The scenes aren't extraneous, but they do jar one.

But that's the thing. This is a novel for the short attention span. Scenes are short, change time and setting often, to the point where you start to forget what the main timeline is and where we left the protagonist. And it's not like a mystery novel where someone investigates clues. They're just doled out methodically in a sort of flashback history that led to the downfall of these teenagers.

But my favorite aspect is that the novel raises questions, which is what good books do. The title refers to what happens when one chooses to turn a blind eye to events. The "first they came for the Jews, but I said nothing..." problem. The book appeals to the "jaded person in a shitty high school situation" plot, which I'm a sucker for. ( )
  theWallflower | Sep 19, 2014 |
  sarafwilliams | Sep 13, 2014 |

When her best friend, whom she secretly loves, betrays her and then dies under mysterious circumstances, high school senior Vera Dietz struggles with secrets that could help clear his name.

A.S. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

164 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,180,970 books! | Top bar: Always visible