Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

Please Ignore Vera Dietz (2010)

by A.S. King (Author)

Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr (weener)
    weener: Both the protagonists work in a pizza restaurant, but the similarities don't end there.
    The Freak Observer by Blythe Woolston (weener)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (MickyFine)
    Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes (kaledrina)

Part of me worries that the Printz Award only nominates edgy young adult fiction, and perhaps bypasses novels that are worthy but are a bit more mainstream. Then again, I don't know what I'm talking about because I don't read enough young adult fiction.

You'll see what I mean right off the bat - completely disillusioned, and obviously heartbroken, young woman trying to make it through high school. Peers, first loves, schoolwork, big social issues, it's all addressed. It seems important to the author to make sure she's smart and "does what's right" for the most part, or else we would not sympathize with her or her situation. Or understand that the moral of the story is that you shoudl be smart and do what's right. I often find YA to be like this - a leetle bit too obvious. But I am not the audience for it, and that's important for me to keep in mind.

There's no question that you do understand her plight, because those adults reading it were all kids, and we remember all kinds of heartbreak (perhaps not quite this dire). In my case, I really understood her plight because he makes her a pizza driver, and I was a pizza driver in my 20s. Everything you're reading about that? Completely spot on. ( )
  khage | Jun 26, 2015 |
A sharply written novel, smart, realistic, and touching. ( )
  Sullywriter | May 22, 2015 |
I am having a hard time pulling myself out of this story to write about why I loved it so much.

Every time I read one of A.S. King's books, I want to read another one. Everybody Sees the Ants, Ask the Passengers, Reality Boy, and now Please Ignore Vera Dietz. She never disappoints. I always want to recommend the one I've just read to someone, like, immediately upon finishing--stop what I'm doing and take it to someone, thrust it in their face, and say, "You HAVE to read this." ( )
  readerspeak | Feb 20, 2015 |
Excellent voice, thought-provoking, realistic and heartbreaking but thankfully the book did not leave me feeling beaten down or bitter about humanity. Very interesting structure, too! Interspersed with the current timeline are historical interludes about what happened between Vera and her now-dead former best friend Charlie, as well as sections from the POV of her father, Charlie (as a "ghost"), and a local eyesore/landmark pagoda. I loved how the mystery (what really happened to Charlie) gradually untangled.
  devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
Entertaining, interesting book -- but ultimately a mess. Lots going on -- teen death, emerging sexuality, abuse, poverty, alcoholism (teen and parent) and so on and so on. Okay for a mature 8th grader ready for some of these heavier themes. ( )
  amydelpo | Dec 9, 2014 |

When her best friend, whom she secretly loves, betrays her and then dies under mysterious circumstances, high school senior Vera Dietz struggles with secrets that could help clear his name.

A.S. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

129 wanted1 pay2 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,413,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible