Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King

Please Ignore Vera Dietz (original 2010; edition 2010)

by A.S. King

Member:jacindahinten
Title:Please Ignore Vera Dietz
Authors:A.S. King
Info:Knopf Books for Young Readers (2010), Hardcover, 336 pages

Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King (Author) (2010)

Recently added byGlire, mtlkch, MissCassieReads86, nekoma, nglynh, LeBoeuf, private library, grammarchick, baileymm, Rezeda
    Looking for Alaska by John Green (kaledrina)
    Story of a Girl by Sara Zarr (weener)
    weener: Both the protagonists work in a pizza restaurant, but the similarities don't end there.
    The Freak Observer by Blythe Woolston (weener)
    Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver (MickyFine)
    Tales of the Madman Underground by John Barnes (kaledrina)

A slightly above average YA novel about friendship, first love, and betrayal. Vera and Charlie have been friends forever, but when Charlie takes up with a new group, Vera is left to sort out her feelings, the truth, and what it means to forgive. This was a smarter book than a lot of the examples of the genre, but there were still some big holes in the plot that I don't think King closed adequately, and when a novel depends on the supposed charisma of one of the main characters, it's incumbent upon the author to make that charisma come through clearly to the reader. For me, I didn't get why a smart and cool girl like Vera would be so invested in Charlie. But maybe that's just me. I never did have time for teenage angst - even when I was a teenager. ( )
  katiekrug | Feb 20, 2016 |
I thought the premise was great,but it just felt like the threw in too many teen issues to deal with half-heartedly. Plus, Vera and Charlie weren't super likable to me so I wasn't really invested. Easy, breezy book so I'm considering it an okay read. ( )
  jamieschecter | Jan 31, 2016 |
I really liked this one. Good characters, good writing...yeah! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
I really liked this one. Good characters, good writing...yeah! ( )
  Jen.ODriscoll.Lemon | Jan 23, 2016 |
I love A.S. King, she is becoming one of my favorite authors. Vera's best friend Charlie died and she isn't really dealing. She is just trying to keep going with her life, good grades in school and her full time job delivering pizza. But Charlie knows that she can clear his name so he keeps trying to influence Vera into telling the truth.

The story alternates between Vera in the present, Vera and Charlie's history, Charlie in death, Vera's dad and the Pagoda, a structure built in town that kind of presides over everything. Charlie and Vera both had difficult home lives for different reasons. I loved getting all the different points of view of the story. I liked being able to find out how Vera's dad felt about what was going on, what happened in the past and his wife Sindy. I also liked learning Charlie's thoughts on what you learn upon your death. The Pagoda also provided a few laughs in a fairly dark book. I love the language the author uses to describe everyone's feelings and thoughts, it just sounds so appealing. I also really liked Vera and her dad, it was nice to watch them become stronger and learn to pay attention to each other, themselves and others.

It's so easy to love King's characters. I loved Vera's quiet strength and she honestly sounded like a cute kid. She was so responsible but by being so responsible she was kind of missing out on the point of being in high school. I also really felt for Charlie. He had a very difficult life and did what he thought he needed to do to survive and protect Vera. But he allowed many people to manipulate him, from the man in the white car, to Jenny Flick, and to his father. Between Vera and Charlie I think that readers can easily find someone to relate to.

***Spoiler***
My only complaint is a little bit spoilery. We never find out what is in the envelope. We get Charlies notes on the napkin to Vera and we get an inkling of what's on the cd/dvd, but I never really figured out what it was that Charlie thought Vera could never forgive him for. I have a guess as to what it might have been but some confirmation would have been nice (I'm a little slow on the pick up sometimes.) Because what I thought it was I don't think is something that could really be blamed on Charlie so there is no reason for him not to be forgiven. Of course i read an arc and there is a chance that this part of the book was changed.

It was a great read and I'm glad this won a Printz Honor book. While it was dark it also had an uplifting ending. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

When her best friend, whom she secretly loves, betrays her and then dies under mysterious circumstances, high school senior Vera Dietz struggles with secrets that could help clear his name.

A.S. King is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

121 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,842,919 books! | Top bar: Always visible