Little Star by John Ajvide Lindqvist

Little Star (original 2010; edition 2012)

by John Ajvide Lindqvist (Author), Marlaine Delargy (Translator)

Member:divinenanny
Title:Little Star
Authors:John Ajvide Lindqvist (Author)
Other authors:Marlaine Delargy (Translator)
Info:
Collections:Your library, eBooks, Read, Read 2012, Favorites, Buy and Get 2012, Readable
Rating:*****
Tags:horror, fiction

Little Star by John Ajvide Lindqvist (2010)

English (12)  Swedish (2)  Finnish (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (16)
A very strong start! The mystery baby, the music, the hiding. Then, Teresa's story, which slowed things down. Then the girls together, which results in actions, and an ending, that seem too far fetched, at least for me. Strange happenings in these pages. ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Oct 15, 2014 |
The Basics

A man finds a baby alone and dying in the woods. He gives the baby mouth-to-mouth, and when she begins to cry, a pitch perfect music note comes out. This man just so happens to be a former pop star settling into his older years, and to him this child is a miracle in the making. This being a horror novel, she’ll turn out to be quite the opposite.

My Thoughts

Around this same time last year, I read Lindqvist’s most popular work, Let the Right One In, and it’s possibly the best vampire novel written since Salem’s Lot. Needless to say, I couldn’t stop there. I needed more of his work. Little Star caught my attention immediately. I have this strange weakness for horror novels that involve the entertainment industry. A strange child that has a magical talent for singing and becomes some kind of monster via her fame; I knew this was the book for me.

And it didn’t disappoint. I’ll go ahead and warn those of you who like explanations for your monsters that you won’t find one here. I have lots of theories about Theres, but nothing concrete is ever given in the book. Nothing’s even truly speculated about. This book exists solely in the present. Theres’s past is not explored; none of these characters seem overly interested or worried about the future. There’s a sense of focus on the here and now that makes the strange path the two, main characters are on seem even more immediate and speedy, despite the book’s length.

This is a hefty book, speaking of. Yet I read it in two days. The cliche applies: I couldn’t put it down. Even though the prologue is actually an epilogue, I had to find out how we got there. What led to this. And the further it went, the more fascinated I became to see what would come next. This book is a perfect example of how stories aren’t about endings, they’re about the journey. The crazed, bizarre journey.

This book is incredibly character driven, and these are not likeable characters. They are engaging, interesting characters whose inner workings may repel you, but you won’t be able to look away. Most bothersome of all, if you were the sort of kid who was ostracized or picked on or didn’t quite fit in, you might even relate on some level. And when things get really dark, that’s when it will really start to get under your skin, making you question how this makes you feel, if you want to be as attached to these characters as you are. It’s a disturbing experience that got right inside me and left me feeling unlike any book has made me feel before. In short, it was Let the Right One In turned up to eleven, and only the stout of heart need apply.

Final Rating

5/5 ( )
  Nickidemus | Sep 18, 2014 |
A very eerie book, disturbing, terrifying from time to time.
I have quite a vivid imagination and this book got my brain working overtime. Mostly by convincing me that this is just a book, 'only' fiction. For what is described, could easily happen. Maybe not on purpose, but, just like in the book, as a product of circumstances, as a result of obvious choices that could not turn out any other way than it did.
That's what frightened me most. The logical following of events, like one thing leads to another, to yet another, to another and than to the inevitable outcome. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Jun 26, 2014 |
I cannot add anymore after reading Colin Leslie's review which is perfect.

Just to say with this fourth book John Ajvide Lindqvist has confirmed that he is up there among the best literary horror writers. The author has really got inside the mind of a depressed, angsty teenaged girl and with the disturbing cult aspect he shows how easily disaffected, socially isolated people can be drawn in where there is such a charismatic leader.

jan.fleming | May 2, 2013 |
Meh. This would've been a far better book if he'd skipped the preface, since that made the eventual outcome fairly obvious. Let the Right One In was a far superior work. This one had some good bits, but overall, I didn't feel that it brought anything new to the table. ( )
  hairball | Mar 20, 2013 |

John Ajvide Lindqvistprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Delargy, MarlaineTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Henning J. GundersenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sybesma, EdithTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Alla människor heter egentligen något annat
Solliden, Skansen.

Lennart Cederström was walking in the forest when he saw it. A baby girl lying in a plastic bag.

Horrified, he rushed to give her the kiss of life. But what happened next changed his life forever. Her first breath was something astonishing — a perfect musical note. For an aging singer, this incredible chile was irresistible, and Lennart could only hurry her home and take her into his care.

Fearing the watchful eyes of the authorities, Lennart decided to hide his foundling daughter from view. So he and his wife kept her in their basement.

Was what she became Lennart's fault for choosing to hide her? Did the person who abandoned her in the woods know something terrible lay in her future? Or was it just a trick of fate to turn the little star into the most terrifying thing imaginable?

In this, John Ajvide Lindqvist's fourth masterpiece, he effortlessly ratchets up the tension until the story reaches its terrible conclusion. In so doing, he confirms his place as the undisputed new king of horror.

-----------------------------------

One autumn day in 1992, former pop singer Lennart Cederström finds something unexpected in the forest — a baby girl in a plastic bag, partially buried. He gives her the kiss of life, and her first cry astounds him; it is a clear, pure musical note. He takes her to his wife and persuades her that they should keep this remarkable child.

But the baby becomes a strange girl, made more unusual by their decision to hide her in their basement to keep her from the prying eyes of government departments. When she reaches puberty, a terrifying scene sees her kill both her parents.

When her scheming adopted brother returns to find her over their bodies, he seizes the opportunity and enters her into an X Factor-style talent competition. She quickly becomes famous. In spite of this, she remains very lonely, until she befriends another damaged girl on the internet. They form a powerful bond and soon create a growing gang of other disgruntled girls and, calling themselves the Wolves, they set out to take revenge for all they've ever suffered.

Rescuing and raising an abandoned baby girl in the woods, a man enters the child in a singing competition when she develops an astonishingly beautiful voice, a performance that leads to the girl's encounter with another youngster with whom she triggers ahorrifying force.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,362,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible