Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings by…

Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings (edition 2010)

by Helene Boudreau

Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***1/2
Tags:YA, ebook, fantasy, mermaids, read december 2012

Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings by Hélène Boudreau

A good, fast-paced middle-grade novel about (whee!) mermaids. I am a huge mermaid fan and this book had an interesting take on them to be sure. A lot of mermaids, a little puberty stuff, and boys. A.K.A. the trifecta of a good older kids' chapter book. The pacing was a little quick which made things hard to follow, but it wasn't all bad. A solid "liked" from me, though ten-year-old me would've loved the heck out of it. ( )
  strongasanoak | Sep 25, 2014 |
In this book a girl called Jade, discovers mermaid heritage on her mothers side. However her mother drowned, so how could she be a mermaid? When Jade is by a lake she sees her mother swimming toward her. Jade ran toward her mother as her mother shouted to head back to the beach, when Jade is dragged under also. She and her mother escape things called "Freshies" or convict mermaids or mermen. Jade and her mother escape the Freshies. When Jade and her mother were safe, her mother explained how the Freshies dragged her under a year ago, which is why she "Drowned". Towards the end Jade tells the convicts she will only take the two bosses' convicts' daughter, who was born in the jail. Jade and her mother escape to the ocean and are free. Then Jade goes back to normal life, while her mother tries to find a way to become human.

I liked this book. I give a five-star rating to it because the author wrote with constant action. I suggest this book to girls who like adventure. I do not suggest this to boys because it is very girly. I like the action. The book started more calm every day life, and then it started to move along really fast. It had a surprise ending to it. I think the author's message we will always have problems and you can only solve them by trying to. ( )
  Abbyu1.B3 | Mar 5, 2014 |
Helene Boudreau has written a humorous coming-of-age story; brilliantly combining contemporary and fantasy! I wish that this book was around when I was a tween - so witty, entertaining and fun - loved every second I spent with Jade!

Jade is your average tween just trying to find the perfect swimsuit for her best friend's pool party... so happy to have found the perfect one, she was not prepared for all that happens afterwards!
First period. First crush run-in. Major embarrassing moment with Dad in front of first crush.
Could Jade's day get any worse?
How 'bout a giant fish-tail???
Yes. It is completely possible for a bad day to get worse.
Poor Jade! In less than 24 hours, Jade 'becomes a woman' and finds out that she's half human, half mermaid. And that her mother used to be a mermaid too.
Her mother who drowned in the lake last summer.

Everything about Jade, her family and friends, her life seemed so realistic. Her attitude, whit and independence made Jade such a strong character that many girls will love and admire. Jade is inspiring, no matter what happened, she dealt with it the best way she could. And I loved that she was so close to her dad and was able to go to him for anything that she needed help with - including the embarrassing trip to the store! Which made their relationship and story so much more realistic and relatable. There were so many laugh-out-loud moments, I was smiling the entire time. And of course, there were moments where my heart went out to Jade - this is an age where a girl really could use a mother figure and she was truly missing her mom so much, there were quite a few tender moments where she needed her so much.

Oh, and Jade's crush, Luke.
I wasn't sure at first if he was a keeper or not. Still not sure.
But Luke's got a few secrets of his own!
He's a keeper, for now!

Also, the way that the author was able to integrate Jade's transformation from human to mermaid was so natural. Every time it happened it seemed like something normal, something that may actually be able to happen in real life. The changes that Jade went through physically were not simple, but the explanation and details made it seem very believable and mesmerizing.

I am really looking forward to watching Jade grow and blossom, and also learning more about Luke and what has happened to Jade's mom in the next book,
Real Mermaids Don't Hold Their Breath. ( )
  thebumblegirl | Feb 19, 2013 |
Due to copy and paste, formatting has been lost.

The first book in the Real Mermaids trilogy surprised me. I was expecting a fluffy read about mermaids, which I got. But I didn't expect to actually be enchanted by it. You should know by now that I just adore any type of mythology-- any at all. So I was happy to read a little bit on mermaid lore (the webbed ones), but I was a tad disappointed with the actual mermaid content of the novel.

To me, it was too...I don't know, shallow? That's not really the word that I'm looking for, but it'll do for now. As I was saying, the underwater stuff, the mermaid change and stuff (and stuff, and stuff, ugh)? Well, I wish that it had been better done. In moments like those, I felt like I wasn't really a part of the book. And I can't help but wish that the lore part of the book had been more focused on.

Not only that, but the villians were super juvenile. But I can totally forgive that, because I realize that we're dealing with a younger age group here. But still, I like my villians bad. And I like my parent's realistic. The first time that Jade becomes a mermaid, her dad helps her out of the tub...but what self-respecting dad wouldn't screech when his daughter becomes a mermaid?? Especially when she changes back and she's naked...um. I may have missed something, but ick. I took that the wrong way-- maybe she has a blanket? I'll just assume that I missed something. (Oh, dear God in heaven please.)

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, this book was really cute. Jade was a terrific character, which lots of younger girls will definitely identify with, because she's experiencing every thing for the first time too-- girly things, growing a mermaid's tail (if you are, totally tell me, I'll be there for you!), and of course, her first crush. Which was adorable.

Jade's crush on Luke is very real and true to life, as is her lack of self confidence and her friend problems. All of that is something I'm sure that we've all experienced at one time, and I'm sure that you'll find something to love about Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings. ( )
  MVTheBookBabe | Feb 9, 2013 |
Jade is dealing with plenty of typical teenage issues -- finding a bathing suit that fits her full figure, shopping for feminine hygiene products with her dad (her mother died about a year ago in a boating accident), tongue-tied conversations with cute boys, and her legs transforming into a tail when she takes a bath. (Okay, so that last one? Not so typical.) Jade is discovering that she didn't know as much as she thought she did about her mother, and about her mother's death. Can Jade learn to control her new abilities, or are pool parties going to be off-limits for the rest of her life?

This was a fun light read. I appreciate reading about a heroine who is overweight and generally okay with that (swimsuit shopping drama aside). I'm not sure if I will continue with the series, but I'd certainly recommend it to teens who like mermaids and chick lit. ( )
  foggidawn | Dec 31, 2012 |

Hélène Boudreauprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Taylor, JenNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

When Jade's hormonal change into womanhood also includes developing scales and a tail, she discovers she's inherited her mermaid tendencies from her late mother, and it prompts her to investigate how her mother died.

Hélène Boudreau is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

25 wanted1 pay3 pay

Sourcebooks Jabberwocky

An edition of this book was published by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,960,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible