Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston

Gideon's Sword (2011)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Series: Gideon Crew (1)

English (65)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (68)
I'm a huge Preston & Child fan. Have read all of their books and I like this break out series too and Gideon's character... ( )
  EmpressReece | Aug 22, 2016 |
A new series from the always dependable co-authors of the Agent Pendergast series. This new series involves Gideon Crew, who resolves a conspiracy which ended with the death of his father, labeled a traitor. Having achieved his goal, Crew is now able to pursue a normal life...until he learns he has less than a year to live and is offered a job by a government contractor to intercept a Chinese scientist carrying a secret. Eminently readable, lots of plot twists, a fast, exciting tale. Highly recommended. ( )
  NickHowes | Aug 2, 2016 |
First in the new Preston/Child series Gideon Crew, a man not afraid to take action against those who destroy others or hurt America. A man who can think on his feet and feels passionately about others. He was sent to locate a scientist bringing in a new weapon "that would change the world" from China. Suspense, mystery and a sprinkling of romance blended with action and adventure. The story just pulled me in. I will be reading more of this series in the future. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Jul 6, 2016 |
In Gideon's Sword authors Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child are taking a huge risk by introducing a new character, Gideon Crew, and a new series. This is risky because fans of their wildly popular Pendergast novels aren't likely to warm up to a new character competing for Preston and Child's attention. While I include myself in their fan base, writing both together and separately, I'm willing to give this interloper named Gideon Crew a chance.

From the synopsis, I thought the story would revolve around Gideon finding the man responsible for his father's death and getting revenge, but actually that is only a very small part of the novel right at the beginning. After that Gideon is recruited by a secret agency to do a little job for them: find a way to get the plans for a secret weapon from a Chinese scientist. The first storyline not only introduces us to Gideon Crew and gives a little back story, it also shows us Gideon's thought processes and how he operates. The second storyline is much more involved and has several narrow escapes and twists and turns before it is resolved.

Since it is a Preston and Child book, need I mention that it is well written? The story is fast paced and flows smoothly. While, admittedly, I felt that the story seemed somewhat less intense and intriguing, and felt shorter than I would normally expect from Preston and Child, I rather liked Gideon as a lead character and want to see what he does next.

Many of the reviews for Gideon's Sword written by fans have tended to be negative. Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child have had ten books to develop their Aloysius Pendergast character. This is our very first introduction to Gideon Crew. I fully expect the next Gideon Crew novel to dial up the tension and suspense.

Also, apparently the movie rights to Gideon's Sword have been purchased.

To rate this novel is problematic. It is not their strongest work, so compared to other novels they have written, it falls a little short. On the other hand, if I evaluate it simply as a stand alone novel not in comparison with anything else, well, I really liked it very much and would highly recommend it. http://shetreadssoftly.blogspot.com/
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Puig, Fernando GaríTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We dedicate this book to our most excellent literary agent, Eric Simonoff.
Nothing in his twelve years of life had prepared Gideon Crew for that day.

At twelve, Gideon Crew witnessed his father, a world-class mathematician, accused of treason and gunned down.

At twenty-four, summoned to his dying mother's bedside, Gideon learned the truth: His father was framed and deliberately slaughtered. With her last breath, she begged her son to avenge him.

Now, with a new purpose in his life, Gideon crafts a one-time mission of vengeance, aimed at the perpetrator of his father's destruction. His plan is meticulous, spectacular, and successful.

But from the shadows, someone is watching. A very powerful someone, who is impressed by Gideon's special skills. Someone who has need of just such a renegade.

For Gideon, this operation may be only the beginning . . .

"At age 12, Gideon Crew witnessed the brutal murder of his father. More than 20 years later, Gideon gets his revenge. But then a mysterious witness steps forward to confront Gideon on his crime---and offer him the chance of a lifetime"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,469,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible