Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston

Gideon's Sword (2011)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Series: Gideon Crew (1)

English (54)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (57)
I simply love anything by Douglas Preston & Lincoln Child, whether written solo or co-authored...

Gideon is a refreshing new character in their seemingly endless imagination... it seemed to me that perhaps they were trying to create a similar "Mr. P" (A.X.L. Pendergast, Special FBI Agent) character who was kind of the same (invincible) but with almost totally opposite physical & personality characteristics...i.e. Mr P is almost like an albino with light hair & light complexion whereas Gideon has black hair & is well tanned... however, Mr. P is definitely highly intelligent & a gentleman in all senses of the word whereas Gideon to me is a little rough around the edges & a lot of the time is almost a total "BS"er

i felt that the first part of Gideon was a little rushed & in less than 25% of the book he had already solved & avenged his father's death... then by the same token, i felt that the ending was a bit rushed as well... when it was over it was just over & FAST...

it is still a well written novel & a satisfying one, but when i compare it to my idol's (Mr. P) series, i don't think it's even in competition with those novels... even Eli Glinn seemed different to me in this book that he did in "The Ice Limit" & The Book of the Dead... not as charismatic...

overall, it's still a good book & i will read any sequels simply because they'll be written by Doug & Linc... i hope that Gideon will continue to grow on me... ( )
  SpiritedTruthSeeker | Aug 5, 2014 |
Not as deep or intriguing as the Pendergast series but still an enjoyable read. Somewhat hard to follow with some complex descriptions of computer lingo but still a good story. The main character does a bit of stumbling through the mission presented to him but them he is a novice at intrigue. A simple read but enjoyable enough for a change of pace. Nothing deep here. ( )
  kmmt48 | Jan 3, 2014 |
This was the first book I read by this mystery powerhouse-duo, and I can't say that I cared for it. The mystery was a little bit flacid, and the character development downright non-existent. ( )
  meganelizabeth | Nov 19, 2013 |
This was a book I literally didn't put down unless I was sleeping or eating (I even walked around the house reading it.) The ending, well I won't ruin it for those who didn't read it. The ending makes it hard to not want the sequel to be in my hands right now. I've never felt that much of a wanting toward having the next book immediately before. ( )
  Robert.Zimmermann | Oct 7, 2013 |
I'd hoped that spending some time away from Pendergast would revitalize Preston & Child, but unfortunately, this debut in their new series was just as snoozey as the last Pendergast novel. Eli Glinn, who previously appeared in the writing duo's Ice Limit and other books, hires Gideon Crew to work a job. Gideon reminded me a bit of the television show White Collar's Neal Caffrey - he apparently robs art museums, likes to wear disguises, and has some legitimate job that is referred to a few times but doesn't actually seem to require his attention. Supposedly all of these things make him the perfect person to track down something smuggled into the country, but the book never quite convinced me that Gideon was chosen for any good reason, especially when Eli Glinn's company has as many resources as they do. Manuel Garza, Glinn's familiar right-hand man, also expresses these doubts, and there's some throwaway lines at the end of the book explaining Glinn's reasoning, but it all seems more than a bit ridiculous. ( )
  BrookeAshley | May 23, 2013 |

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Puig, Fernando GaríTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We dedicate this book to our most excellent literary agent, Eric Simonoff.
Nothing in his twelve years of life had prepared Gideon Crew for that day.

At twelve, Gideon Crew witnessed his father, a world-class mathematician, accused of treason and gunned down.

At twenty-four, summoned to his dying mother's bedside, Gideon learned the truth: His father was framed and deliberately slaughtered. With her last breath, she begged her son to avenge him.

Now, with a new purpose in his life, Gideon crafts a one-time mission of vengeance, aimed at the perpetrator of his father's destruction. His plan is meticulous, spectacular, and successful.

But from the shadows, someone is watching. A very powerful someone, who is impressed by Gideon's special skills. Someone who has need of just such a renegade.

For Gideon, this operation may be only the beginning . . .

"At age 12, Gideon Crew witnessed the brutal murder of his father. More than 20 years later, Gideon gets his revenge. But then a mysterious witness steps forward to confront Gideon on his crime---and offer him the chance of a lifetime"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,373,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible