Gideon's Sword by Lincoln Child Douglas…

Gideon's Sword (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Lincoln Child Douglas Preston

Member:susan11
Title:Gideon's Sword
Authors:Lincoln Child Douglas Preston
Info:Vision (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Collections:thrillers
Rating:***
Tags:non fiction

Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston (2011)

English (62)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (65)
In Gideon's Sword authors Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child are taking a huge risk by introducing a new character, Gideon Crew, and a new series. This is risky because fans of their wildly popular Pendergast novels aren't likely to warm up to a new character competing for Preston and Child's attention. While I include myself in their fan base, writing both together and separately, I'm willing to give this interloper named Gideon Crew a chance.

From the synopsis, I thought the story would revolve around Gideon finding the man responsible for his father's death and getting revenge, but actually that is only a very small part of the novel right at the beginning. After that Gideon is recruited by a secret agency to do a little job for them: find a way to get the plans for a secret weapon from a Chinese scientist. The first storyline not only introduces us to Gideon Crew and gives a little back story, it also shows us Gideon's thought processes and how he operates. The second storyline is much more involved and has several narrow escapes and twists and turns before it is resolved.

Since it is a Preston and Child book, need I mention that it is well written? The story is fast paced and flows smoothly. While, admittedly, I felt that the story seemed somewhat less intense and intriguing, and felt shorter than I would normally expect from Preston and Child, I rather liked Gideon as a lead character and want to see what he does next.

Many of the reviews for Gideon's Sword written by fans have tended to be negative. Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child have had ten books to develop their Aloysius Pendergast character. This is our very first introduction to Gideon Crew. I fully expect the next Gideon Crew novel to dial up the tension and suspense.

Also, apparently the movie rights to Gideon's Sword have been purchased.

To rate this novel is problematic. It is not their strongest work, so compared to other novels they have written, it falls a little short. On the other hand, if I evaluate it simply as a stand alone novel not in comparison with anything else, well, I really liked it very much and would highly recommend it. http://shetreadssoftly.blogspot.com/
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
Fast read - character development was not as good as their other books. Hopefully this will improve as the series develops. ( )
  bell96 | Feb 2, 2016 |
Gideon Crew witnessed his father die as a setup by a member of the government. Now he has vowed to bring the people responsible down. Through this task Gideon becomes associated with a shadow group who wnats him to get some plans for a secret weapon off a Chinese scientist. A good thriller that keeps you guessing most of the time. I hope the authors turn this into a series. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
Gideon avenges his father's murder and hunts for secret technology. ( )
  jrthebutler | Sep 23, 2015 |
At twelve years of age Gideon Crew saw his father shot as a traitor. His mother’s deathbed revelation that his father was framed renews Gideon’s lust for revenge. Super-smart, super-fit and super-angry he concocts an elaborate plot to avenge his father. Unbeknownst to Gideon, someone else is watching and feels they may have use for Gideon’s unique skill set.

I am a huge fan of the Aloysius Pendergast series. I was not expecting a Perndergast book, and Gideon Crew is as opposite from Aloysius as two characters can get, I did enjoy this book. It is jam packed full of action, intrigue, likeable characters, loveable characters and some deliciously shady ones too. … exactly what a reader wants in the mystery thriller genre.

Not wanting the necessity of a spoiler alert, let me just say that a few unanswered questions at the end of this book indicate that there will be, at the very least, a second installment.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Puig, Fernando GaríTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We dedicate this book to our most excellent literary agent, Eric Simonoff.
Nothing in his twelve years of life had prepared Gideon Crew for that day.

At twelve, Gideon Crew witnessed his father, a world-class mathematician, accused of treason and gunned down.

At twenty-four, summoned to his dying mother's bedside, Gideon learned the truth: His father was framed and deliberately slaughtered. With her last breath, she begged her son to avenge him.

Now, with a new purpose in his life, Gideon crafts a one-time mission of vengeance, aimed at the perpetrator of his father's destruction. His plan is meticulous, spectacular, and successful.

But from the shadows, someone is watching. A very powerful someone, who is impressed by Gideon's special skills. Someone who has need of just such a renegade.

For Gideon, this operation may be only the beginning . . .

"At age 12, Gideon Crew witnessed the brutal murder of his father. More than 20 years later, Gideon gets his revenge. But then a mysterious witness steps forward to confront Gideon on his crime---and offer him the chance of a lifetime"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,250,623 books! | Top bar: Always visible