Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston

Gideon's Sword (original 2011; edition 2011)

by Douglas Preston, Lincoln Child

Member:SueD
Title:Gideon's Sword
Authors:Douglas Preston
Other authors:Lincoln Child
Info:Great Britain, Orion Books
Rating:***
Tags:revenge, conspiracy, corruption, borrowed from Rockingham Library

Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston (2011)

English (71)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All (74)
Excellent book. I want to read the series. Keeps you on the edge of your seat. It skirts the edges of possibilities sometimes, but it's great. ( )
  bcrowl399 | Jun 27, 2017 |
This was the first Gideon Crew book I have read. I love Preston & Child and have read many of their books. I enjoyed this book, but Aloysius is still my favorite character. ( )
  Lschwarzman | May 29, 2017 |
A swift moving, action packed start to a new series. ( )
  bensdad00 | Jan 10, 2017 |
I so enjoy books by Preston and Child, and this one was no different. Being the beginning of another series of books with a new main character, I am curious where they take the series, given a specific characteristic of Gideon (no spoiler here). This book was a very quick-reading story – I think I finished it in only a few days. The action is fast and fairly satisfying overall. A great beginning to another series. ( )
  highlander6022 | Dec 3, 2016 |
Gideon Crew’s life was changed when his father was killed. When he finds out why, he devotes his life to clearing his father’s name and avenging his death. This brings him to the attention of a certain U.S. Government contractor who has another mission for him.
To avoid spoilers, suffice it to say that this is a spy versus spy type adventure with larger than life characters so be ready to suspend disbelief for the sake of the story. Some aspects are predictable but there are plenty of surprises as well. What I like most about this book was the hopeful undertone. There are plenty of shady characters but it treats them as exceptions rather than as typical examples of humanity and there are plenty of truly likeable minor characters, some of whom actually survive to the end of the story. There is also the promise of a technological breakthrough that will change the world for the better.
The combination of likeable characters, an interesting plot, exciting adventure, and a hopeful mood make this a very enjoyable book. I recommend it.
  DLMorrese | Oct 14, 2016 |

Douglas Prestonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Child, Lincolnmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Puig, Fernando GaríTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
We dedicate this book to our most excellent literary agent, Eric Simonoff.
Nothing in his twelve years of life had prepared Gideon Crew for that day.

At twelve, Gideon Crew witnessed his father, a world-class mathematician, accused of treason and gunned down.

At twenty-four, summoned to his dying mother's bedside, Gideon learned the truth: His father was framed and deliberately slaughtered. With her last breath, she begged her son to avenge him.

Now, with a new purpose in his life, Gideon crafts a one-time mission of vengeance, aimed at the perpetrator of his father's destruction. His plan is meticulous, spectacular, and successful.

But from the shadows, someone is watching. A very powerful someone, who is impressed by Gideon's special skills. Someone who has need of just such a renegade.

For Gideon, this operation may be only the beginning . . .

"At age 12, Gideon Crew witnessed the brutal murder of his father. More than 20 years later, Gideon gets his revenge. But then a mysterious witness steps forward to confront Gideon on his crime---and offer him the chance of a lifetime"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,112,613 books! | Top bar: Always visible