dismiss

Washington: A Life

by Ron Chernow

In "Washington : a Life" celebrated biographer Ron Chernow provides a richly nuanced portrait of the father of our nation, dashing forever the stereotype of a stolid, unemotional man, and revealing an astute and surprising portrait of a canny political genius who knew how to inspire people.

This must be the longest book I've ever read.

A stunningly in depth chronicle of the first u.s. president which examines every aspect of his life in compiling a full profile of this mythical figure. I feel rather like I could psychoanalyze him frankly, that's how much this book seems to get inside his head. By the end though, I was rather wishing he would just die already; easily a hundred pages could have been excised from this weighty tome without effecting it's quality in the slightest.
  fionaanne | Dec 6, 2019 |
Exhaustively researched and very detailed history of our first US president. Chernow doesn't want you to miss anything, so you get it all in a little over 800 pages. So, this book is for a serious presidential scholar, or at least a rapidly curious fan of our first president. If you are one of those, you will get satisfaction for your efforts! ( )
  Pieter_Cramerus | Nov 22, 2019 |
Ron Chernow may be the greatest historical biographer writing today, this side of Robert Caro. Recent Washington biographies of GW have inched their way toward bringing him back from iconism to humanity, and this one completes the job. It does a fantastic job of showing how a man can become iconic--and deservedly--while still evincing the foibles we all share. Amid the Life is a satisfying recounting of the birth of our nation, ushered in by an amazing group of statesmen and soldiers made great in no small part by the times, and by the roles thrust upon them. This story also fully limns the tale of Washington as an English gentlemen cum Southern plantation slaveowner, including the economic, social, and personal pressures of that role. A rich and full biography, beautifully wrought. ( )
  dbeveridge | Nov 8, 2019 |
This is a gem for American history buffs. Most of the laudatory reviews attached speak for me. It was a joy to read and the best of the Washington biographies I've read. ( )
  gburlingham | Sep 25, 2019 |
What can I say that hasn't already been written about this fantastic biography of George Washington? Ron Chernow's masterpiece on Washington is told extremely well and never drags. Don't let the book's length (800+ pages) scare you off--it's a very pleasurable read.

Another thing I truly appreciated about this book was its short chapters and frequent breaks. I hate to stop reading at the end of a paragraph and very much appreciate an author who provides multiple breaks throughout a chapter. Just more kudos, Mr. Chernow! ( )
  Jarratt | Mar 6, 2019 |
At 900-odd densely packed pages, “Washington” can be arid at times. But it’s also deeply rewarding as a whole, and it does genuinely amplify and recast our perceptions of Washington’s importance.

Ron Chernowprimary authorall editionscalculated
Brick, ScottNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simple truth is his best, his greatest eulogy.
- Abigail Adams, speaking of George Washington after his death
To Valerie, in memoriam
(Prelude) In March 1793 Gilbert Stuart crossed the North Atlantic for the express purpose of painting President George Washington, the supreme prize of the age for any ambitious portrait artist.
The crowded career of George Washington afforded him little leisure to indulge his vanity or gratify his curiosity by conducting genealogical research into his family.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,126,958 books! | Top bar: Always visible