Fables, Vol. 14: Witches by Bill Willingham

Fables, Vol. 14: Witches

by Bill Willingham

Other authors: Mark Buckingham (Illustrator), Jim Fern (Illustrator), Craig Hamilton (Illustrator), David Lapham (Illustrator), Steve Leialoha (Illustrator)1 more, Joao Ruas (Cover artist)

Series: Fables (14)

vol. 14
  hapaxes | Dec 27, 2013 |
Much more to my taste! The Dark Man continues to wreak havoc and the witches of Fabletown begin to plot a way to defeat him with Frau Totenkinder disappearing on a mysterious mission. Meanwhile, political turmoil on the Farm, where the Fables of Fabletown have escaped as refugees, continues to grow more chaotic. ( )
  andreablythe | Dec 7, 2013 |
I have very mixed feelings about this collected volume. The art was good, not fantastic but good enough. But the story line with the witches annoyed me. The last two issues, were very good.

I found the introduction to be confusing and I felt like I was dropped into an ongoing story with no background information. It wasn’t immediately clear who the boxers are and what there purpose was. The first issue was better than the intro, the big witch is set free and Snow White and Bigby are around briefly.

In story 2, I love Bufkin the monkey, Beauty announces she’s preggers, Frau Totenkinder leaves town and is up to something. Not bad but average. Story 3 really annoyed me, I missed the regular characters but continued to love Bufkin. Story 4 didn’t like and Ozma was declared leader. Story 5 Ozma and Gepetto fight for control. This issue a little better but still not great.

Stoy 6 and 7 I loved because the regular characters are back. 6 was my favorite, the baseball game was amusing and in 7 the story line continues with a goblin on trial for murder of another fable. Missed Snow and Bigby.

I’m really torn between giving this 3 and 4 stars, but I think I’ll lean toward 3 because the witches story bored the crap out of me. ( )
  MerryMeerkat | Sep 26, 2013 |
Oh, I had more love for this story. We return to Fables, and this time to Mister Dark. To more backgrounds, more research and more indepth knowledge on some of my most favorite second teir, mysterious characters -- The Witches of Floor 13.

I have to admit I didn't amazing love Bufkin's story, but it did amuse me. Mirror, Flowers girls, and all. The way they tell these stories, sometimes when I'm not in love with the characters, I still end up loving the story itself.

Not going to lie: I gleed at the image of Baby Yaga in her cauldron. (And all the flashbacks of Frau Totenkinder's past, and stories blurring together.) ( )
  wanderlustlover | Jul 24, 2013 |
This is one of those rare cases when the whole doesn't live up to the sum of its parts. I enjoyed all of its parts -- the Bofkin situation, the backstory of the boxers, and the epilogue with Flycatcher -- but the whole of it didn't mesh all that well. Well, Fables on an off day is still better than almost anything else out there, so there's still three stars in this, but I have, in general, felt the series has been a little ungrounded since the war ended and the battle against the Dark Man began (not that he's not a really cool villain -- he is). ( )
  nesum | Jun 24, 2013 |

Bill Willinghamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Buckingham, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fern, JimIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, CraigIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lapham, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leialoha, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ruas, JoaoCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This collection of baseball and other forms of witchcraft is dedicated to Stacey Brook, a fan of both--Bill Willingham
For Elena, Roberto, Ricardo and Luis for good friendship and constant support--Mark Buckingham
"Who am I?"

The leaders and witches of Fabletown discuss how to defeat Mister Dark. Meanwhile Bufkin finds himself trapped in the lost business office with Baba Yaga and many other monsters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,656,792 books! | Top bar: Always visible