Fables, Vol. 14: Witches by Bill Willingham

Fables, Vol. 14: Witches

by Bill Willingham

Other authors: Mark Buckingham (Illustrator), Jim Fern (Illustrator), Craig Hamilton (Illustrator), David Lapham (Illustrator), Steve Leialoha (Illustrator)1 more, Joao Ruas (Cover artist)

Series: Fables (14)

4892320,952 (4)30

My blog post about this book is at this link. ( )
  SuziQoregon | May 27, 2016 |
This Fables volume brings us back to Mr. Dark and the destruction of Fabletown and it appears this will be the main storyline over the next little while. The witches of the 13th floor are highlighted and we can see there is a tug-of-war going on for the leadership. We see a far different Frau Totenkinder as she solves the mayor’s money problems and is now engaged in learning how to create a box that we hope will eventually hold Mr. Dark.

The secondary storylines involved Ambrose, Red Riding Hood and the people of Haven and the aftermath of a baseball game. But my favorite story starred Bufkin the flying monkey as he battles the evil witch Baba Yaga as they are trapped in the Battle office with all its nooks and crannies.

Over all this issue is a good mix of old friends and new faces facing their difficulties with dark humor and resolution. Lots of political intrigue and action to look forward to. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Mar 5, 2016 |
The Adversary has been defeated, but at great cost--not least, financial. With their usual magical sources of money tapped, the Fables are fast running out of money to fund all the things that keep them hidden from the mundanes. Frau Totenkinder vows to solve this problem, but meanwhile Ozma makes a play for her seat and Baba Yaga is freed from her magical prison. Despite the epic witches involved in this story, its all resolved in pretty anticlimactic ways.

In a short story that follows these travails, King Flycatcher tries to keep his kingdom together after an orc eats a talking bird.

Overall it's fine storytelling and the art is good, but this trade feels aimless and unfocused. ( )
  wealhtheowwylfing | Feb 29, 2016 |
In this volume we find out how Mr. Dark was captured the first time and Frau Totekinder changes back to a young woman. We also go to the business office to see how Buffkin, the Mirror and others deal with Baba Yaga. Ozma also makes a power grab for the 13th floor.

Still love this series and I enjoyed meeting a new character. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Still love this series and I enjoyed meeting a new character. ( )
  Rosa.Mill | Nov 21, 2015 |

Bill Willinghamprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Buckingham, MarkIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fern, JimIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Hamilton, CraigIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Lapham, DavidIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Leialoha, SteveIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ruas, JoaoCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This collection of baseball and other forms of witchcraft is dedicated to Stacey Brook, a fan of both--Bill Willingham
For Elena, Roberto, Ricardo and Luis for good friendship and constant support--Mark Buckingham
"Who am I?"

The leaders and witches of Fabletown discuss how to defeat Mister Dark. Meanwhile Bufkin finds himself trapped in the lost business office with Baba Yaga and many other monsters.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,868,301 books! | Top bar: Always visible