Under a War-Torn Sky by L. M. Elliott

Under a War-Torn Sky (2001)

by L. M. Elliott

This should have been more exciting than it was, but I think part of that was that the narrator was not a good fit. Also, I disliked that it changed from third-person limited to third-person omniscient in the last chapter. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Feb 12, 2018 |
The story of a young Virginian pilot shot down during WW2 and his experiences while he tried to make it back to Allied territory. ( )
  leslie.98 | Sep 5, 2017 |
Amazingly told. I learned things about the war I never knew. This was from the prospective of the resistance in France. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
This was an enjoyable book that was both exciting and realistic. Henry was a likeable character, though we didn't get to know Patsy, his love interest very well. I wish I knew what had happened to Claudette, Pierre and the other French characters who helped him, but it looks like I'd have to read the sequel to find out. While I liked Henry, Claudette was a much more interesting character, so it was rather frustrating not to know her fate. Not to know if she realized the evil of shedding blood in revenge. It seemed in the moments before Henry was separated from her (apparently for good) that she may have learned that, but because we didn't see her again, it's possible that her anger, hate and bitterness will come back after her perceived loss of Henry. This was a good book. It reminded me of [b: The Violins of Autumn|12987173|Violins of Autumn|Amy McAuley|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1344316810s/12987173.jpg|18146888] and (the nonfiction) [b: When Hitler Took Austria: A Memoir of Heroic Faith by the Chancellor's Son|13549208|When Hitler Took Austria A Memoir of Heroic Faith by the Chancellor's Son|Kurt Schuschnigg|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1331923067s/13549208.jpg|19115087]. ( )
  NicoleSch | Jun 1, 2016 |
Take a look at Nazi-occupied Europe through the eyes and experiences of Henry Forester, a young flier shot down during World War II. Also, A Troubled Peace.
  KilmerMSLibrary | Apr 30, 2013 |
March 1944.

"Pull her up, Hank! Pull her up!"

When Henry Forester is shot down during a bombing run over France, the World War II pilot finds himself trapped behind enemy lines. In constant danger of discovery by German soldiers, Henry begins a remarkable journey to greedom. Relying on the kind ness of strangers, Henry moves from town to town--traveling by moonlight, never asking questions, or even the names of the people who help him along the way. Through his journey, Henry gains an understanding of the French and their struggle; and of his own place in a war that will change the face of Europe forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:48 -0400)

After his plane is shot down by Hitler's Luftwaffe, nineteen-year-old Henry Forester of Richmond, Virginia, strives to walk across occupied France, with the help of the French Resistance, in hopes of rejoining his unit.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,566,963 books! | Top bar: Always visible