Blue Is the Warmest Color by Julie Maroh

Blue Is the Warmest Color (original 2010; edition 2013)

by Julie Maroh

Member:grunin
Title:Blue Is the Warmest Color
Authors:Julie Maroh
Info:Arsenal Pulp Press (2013), Edition: Mti, Paperback, 160 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Comics, read

Blue Is the Warmest Color by Julie Maroh (2010)

English (25)  French (4)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (31)
"We do not chose whom we fall in love with, and our perception of happiness is our own".

Beautiful, moving love story conveyed through art and words. The facial expressions are amazing, the pain and happiness of love shines through the pages. Most of the art is black and white, with blue as an accent that draws the attention - Emma's blue eyes and hair rules Clementines heart and world.

The book is quite different from the movie - it concentrates on Emma and Clementine falling in love and the complications of accepting who they are. The movie takes a broader view and follows their relationship through the years. I believe this is a great book. Howeever, the movie is better, rawer, goes deeper, and the ending is more realistic. I highly recommend both. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
I'm not even going to lie this book is a little out of my comfort zone but I did enjoy it. I really love that book battle gets me to read books/comics that I never would have picked up otherwise. Sad story and I wish the ending had been a little better but I did like how it covered a longer time period giving the reader a full perspective of her life. ( )
  KeriLynneD | Jun 4, 2018 |
This was my first graphic novel. It's awesome. The drawings are incredible. The story is (for the most part) pretty much the same apart from that ending. I don't know which ending I prefer, though.

I need graphic novel recommendations. ( )
  aljosa95 | Mar 27, 2018 |
I really adored the story, but the twelve-year time jump was .... odd, and a little disconcerting. ( )
  smiteme | Oct 6, 2017 |
I know, I'm like a Terrible Gay, but this was just... weird? The art was very pretty, but it was just a like really bad take on lesbian experience? Like okay maybe it reflects some people's experiences (the author's?) but it was just this like very overwrought lesbian tragedy. Even the struggles with internalized homophobia, which is something I'm really interested in exploring right now in my life, felt just super surface and not very nuanced.

About halfway through the book, I flipped to the frontmatter to see if it was like published in the early 90s or something, but it was published in French in 2010???? And again, as with No Crystal Stair, maybe it's supposed to be Baldwin-esque (in the style of Giovanni's Room) in the way it's written and the story it tells but y'all... we got that with Baldwin and about 800,000 lesbian pulps. Do people like this because it got made into a movie? It was just wildly disappointing to me, as this piece of lesbian lit that had been so upheld as 'must-read'.

(Also, I see the butchphobia right there. Associating butchness with jealousy and possessiveness is gross and I was disappointed to see it.) ( )
1 vote aijmiller | Jul 31, 2017 |

Julie Marohprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hahnenberger, IvankaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
McBride, GerileeDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Blue is the Warmest Color is a graphic novel about growing up, falling in love, and coming out. Clementine, a high school student, has an average life: she has friends, family, and the romantic attention of the boys in her school. When her openly gay best friend takes her out on the town, she wanders into a lesbian bar where she encounters Emma: a punkish, confident girl with blue hair. Their attraction is instant and electric, and Clementine finds herself in a relationship that will test her friends, parents, and her own ideas about herself and her identity"-- from publisher's web site.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,149,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible