Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by…

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Eric Metaxas

Member:lisacronista
Title:Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy
Authors:Eric Metaxas
Info:Thomas Nelson (2011), Paperback, 624 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:persecuted church, Nazi Germany

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas (2010)

I don't know, this book seems good, but I just can't get through it. I think it's too long and drawn out.. I've been on p 122 for weeks now, it's got over 600 pges total.. and it just isn't drawing me in. If a book sits and sits, then I think it's time to move on to something else... I would like to read another bio of Bonhoeffer at some point.
  homeschoolmimzi | Nov 28, 2016 |
One of the best biographies I've ever read ( )
  blw777 | Oct 25, 2016 |
Absolutely the best book I've read in a long time. I've found a new spiritual hero. Dietrich Bonhoeffer is one of the most impressive Christians in the midst of one of the most horrific situations in history. So worth the effort!" ( )
  HGButchWalker | Sep 21, 2016 |
The life of Dederick Bonhoeffer is also a story of German history at the time. Born into an educated and professional family, Dederick decides to become a minister rather than pursuing a more lucrative career. The book delves into much of the theological discussions of the time regarding Lutheran dogma. However, the life of Bonhoeffer is very interesting especially his relationship with a young woman Maria. They are eventually engaged, but never marry as Bonhoeffer is sent to a Nazi prison for his stand against Hitler. He obviously was not only a very intelligent man and one with very high ethics, but also a brave man to work against the Nazis, even to the point of plotting to assassinate Hitler. ( )
  maryreinert | Feb 9, 2016 |
Excellent! ( )
  david__clifford | Feb 3, 2016 |
In this fine biography, Metaxas stays close to the story and refrains from any efforts at theory. All the more reason to read it: when it comes to the strengths and the limits of post-Kantian liberalism, we already have theory aplenty. But be careful what you read it for....

His soul really shone in the dark desperation of our prison . . . [Bonhoeffer] had always been afraid that he would not be strong enough to stand such a test but now he knew there was nothing in life of which one need ever be afraid.

(Above is Payne Best's quotation, and below are Bonhoeffer's.)

No one has yet believed in God and the kingdom of God, no one has yet heard about the realm of the resurrected, and not been homesick from that hour, waiting and looking forward to being released from bodily existence.

Whether we are young or old makes no difference.  What are twenty or thirty or fifty years in the sight of God?  And which of us knows how near he or she may already be to the goal?  . . . Why are we so afraid when we think about death? . . . Death is only dreadful for those who live in dread and fear of it.  Death is not wild and terrible, if only we can be still and hold fast to God's Word.  . . . .

Death is hell and night and cold, if it is not transformed by our faith.  But that is just what is so marvelous, that we can transform death.

"Bonhoeffer" presents a profoundly orthodox Christian theologian whose faith led him to boldly confront the greatest evil of the 20th century, and uncovers never-before-revealed facts, including the story of his passionate romance.

553 wanted3 pay9 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,680,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible