Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by…

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Eric Metaxas

Title:Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy
Authors:Eric Metaxas
Info:Thomas Nelson (2011), Paperback, 624 pages
Tags:persecuted church, Nazi Germany

Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas (2010)

One of the best biographies I've ever read ( )
  blw777 | Oct 25, 2016 |
Absolutely the best book I've read in a long time. I've found a new spiritual hero. Dietrich Bonhoeffer is one of the most impressive Christians in the midst of one of the most horrific situations in history. So worth the effort!" ( )
  HGButchWalker | Sep 21, 2016 |
The life of Dederick Bonhoeffer is also a story of German history at the time. Born into an educated and professional family, Dederick decides to become a minister rather than pursuing a more lucrative career. The book delves into much of the theological discussions of the time regarding Lutheran dogma. However, the life of Bonhoeffer is very interesting especially his relationship with a young woman Maria. They are eventually engaged, but never marry as Bonhoeffer is sent to a Nazi prison for his stand against Hitler. He obviously was not only a very intelligent man and one with very high ethics, but also a brave man to work against the Nazis, even to the point of plotting to assassinate Hitler. ( )
  maryreinert | Feb 9, 2016 |
Excellent! ( )
  david__clifford | Feb 3, 2016 |
3 for 2016. This book fits several categories in the Read Harder Challenge 2016. It is a biography. Religion and Politics play central themes in the plot. And the book is well over 500 pages long. That's where I'll put it, although I I have plenty more books to read that could even go in this category. Having written my doctoral dissertation about a writer executed for having collaborated with the Nazis, I would have thought I knew all I needed to know about that horrid period of twentieth century life. What I had not understood was the depth of the resistance inside Germany--the number of people of good faith and upper class who stood ready to lose everything to stop the madman "leading" their country. Bonhoeffer was one such man, caught between the love of one's country and the profound loathing of the forces that are destroying that fatherland. Always asking the question "what does God require of me?" Bonhoeffer, while he had religious figures among his ancestors, did not grow up in a deeply religious home. But it was a home that honored scholarship, and Bonhoeffer put as much effort in his study of theology as his father and siblings put into their more scientific areas. Anyone wishing to deepen their view of Christianity, their understanding of Nazi Germany, or the difference between the "German Christians" and the "Confessing Church" needs to read Eric Metaxas' detailed biography of this seminal thinker. ( )
  mtbearded1 | Jan 22, 2016 |
In this fine biography, Metaxas stays close to the story and refrains from any efforts at theory. All the more reason to read it: when it comes to the strengths and the limits of post-Kantian liberalism, we already have theory aplenty. But be careful what you read it for....
His soul really shone in the dark desperation of our prison . . . [Bonhoeffer] had always been afraid that he would not be strong enough to stand such a test but now he knew there was nothing in life of which one need ever be afraid.

(Above is Payne Best's quotation, and below are Bonhoeffer's.)

No one has yet believed in God and the kingdom of God, no one has yet heard about the realm of the resurrected, and not been homesick from that hour, waiting and looking forward to being released from bodily existence.

Whether we are young or old makes no difference.  What are twenty or thirty or fifty years in the sight of God?  And which of us knows how near he or she may already be to the goal?  . . . Why are we so afraid when we think about death? . . . Death is only dreadful for those who live in dread and fear of it.  Death is not wild and terrible, if only we can be still and hold fast to God's Word.  . . . .

Death is hell and night and cold, if it is not transformed by our faith.  But that is just what is so marvelous, that we can transform death.

"Bonhoeffer" presents a profoundly orthodox Christian theologian whose faith led him to boldly confront the greatest evil of the 20th century, and uncovers never-before-revealed facts, including the story of his passionate romance.

553 wanted3 pay9 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,818,499 books! | Top bar: Always visible