Carousel Tides by Sharon Lee

Carousel Tides (edition 2012)

by Sharon Lee

Member:quinaquisset
Title:Carousel Tides
Authors:Sharon Lee
Info:Baen (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages

Carousel Tides by Sharon Lee

Magnificent. I didn't review it the first time I read it, but on this reread - I picked it up, intending to read a chapter or two with dinner. 3 hours later, I blinked my way out of Archer's Beach, reveling in a magnificent story and spectacular language. I like Kate; Borgan...well. He kind of annoys me, the way he unnecessarily hides stuff from Kate. But he is a good guy, in several senses of the word. All the characters (and some of them are real characters!) are well fleshed-out - not completely known (what's Bob? What's up with Gaby?) but definitely people, with their own trajectories just incidentally intersecting the story we're following. Lots (and lots, and lots) of secrets, mysteries, tricks, plots...very few lies, though, for various reasons. Archer's Beach, as a concept and a place, is fascinating - the interactions of humans and not, the power(s) laid in in various places, and the amusement park - both just as an amusement park (neat!) and as a place of power. There are still unanswered questions at the end, but most of them are of the "but why did they do that?" variety - filling in the blanks, though we know more or less what happened in the past and what that led to. I have the next book (yay!) - this reread was in preparation for that. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Mar 13, 2014 |
It seemed as though this was a sequel to another story that had already set the stage and that the reader was expected to understand more than was explained. Fun for the local setting. ( )
  sleahey | Apr 27, 2013 |
I'll start by saying I didn't finish this book. It was too confusing and didn't engage me the way I need a book to in order to invest the time in reading it. I feel bad about that because this was a book that a colleague of mine passed on to me that she really enjoyed. I couldn't identify with the main character and the secondary characters were no more interesting to me than the main character. ( )
  Irishcontessa | Mar 29, 2013 |
I liked the setting and the world. There's a good blending of magic with the contemporary, and it avoids the noir style investigations that most of the urban fantasy has these days while still maintaining a decent mystery.

However, the ending is very weak. The book ends just small handful of pages after the action does, and I'm left with plenty of questions over the consequences of the action. Not just questions about how the characters are going to relate to each other - though I do wonder that - but questions about how their magical abilities can/may be affected.

A strong book - but the lack of a good detente is a large problem for me. ( )
  Melanti | Mar 29, 2013 |
I wasn't sure if I was going to like this book, because the writing bothered me from the beginning, but in the end the interesting characters and great storytelling won out over the odd phrasings and random apostrophes. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Jul 25, 2012 |

Carousel Tides pulls you into the chill foggy reality of peeling-paint sand-grit coastal Maine outside of tourist season and then hands you something else — the hidden world lurking in shadows or under the land’s surface or just offshore, where Black Dogs hunt the night and selkies toss unpleasant truths over their shoulders before diving into the next wave. In the center of this, Kate Archer tends and guards one of the spookiest carousels this side of Ray Bradbury and wonders what has happened to her grandmother. The old woman sent her a letter, left papers deeding over the carousel and old house and the Land (meaning much more than property), and vanished, telling the spirits of the land and sea that she expected to be back before the turning of the year.
“Now March has come and gone and Kate must return from self-exile to take up powers and responsibilities she has renounced, or dying will be the least of her problems . . .

Kate Archer returns to the tourist town of Archers Beach, Maine, to search for her vanished grandmother, Bonny Pepperidge, and to assume Bonny's role as Guardian of Fun Country, an amusement park whose carousel animals are actually exiled fae criminals. Kate becomes involved in a war of faerie magic, and runs afoul of a very human drug smuggler.… (more)

Sharon Lee is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

43 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,675,043 books! | Top bar: Always visible