Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

There's no business like show business-- was…

There's no business like show business-- was (2006)

by Alan Young

721,668,976 (3.63)None

I won this book thru Library Thing. It is a very quick read and I just love some of the stories in it. This book covers Alan Young and his rise to fame in showbusiness. There are a lot of great references in this book and I especually loved when Alan was talking about John Wayne, it had me cracking up so much. ( )
  lg4154 | Jan 8, 2011 |
Depending on what generation you are, you'll most likely remember Alan Young from either his roles as Wilbur in Mr. Ed, or as voicing Scrooge McDuck in DuckTales.

Gathered together in There's No Business Like Show Business ... Was are several anecdotes from different points in his career, from his early starts as an young assistant for a radio broadcast in Canada to his more recent work with Disney.

The biggest flaw of this book is that it lacks definitive structure. If I had my say, it would read in loose chronological order, or be better organized by theme. However, this flaw does not detract from the book's readability. Each and every anecdote is a standalone jolt of comedy, letting you know fully well that Young spent his life in the funny business.

The second biggest flaw is that it was too short. I could have read and enjoyed a book multiple times longer if it had the same style and level of humor as the rest of the book.

So, even if you've no idea who Alan Young is, if you have an interest in "the way things were" during the early days of film and television, then this book is definitely a treat.

Here's hoping for a sequel. :) ( )
  aethercowboy | Dec 23, 2010 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Alan Young's book There's No Business Like Show Business...Was was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,496,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible