And Furthermore by Judi Dench

And Furthermore (2010)

by Judi Dench

2081356,261 (3.33)18

Six-word review: British star's light-hearted theatrical autobiography.

Extended review:

This anecdotal history of the career of one of Britain's brightest and most enduring stars has the warmth and intimacy of a backstage chat over tea in the interval between the matinee and the evening curtain.

Dame Judi Dench relates story after story of incidents and experiences during her ongoing performing career on stage, on television, and in film, including many revealing glimpses of her theatrical colleagues, associates, and dear friends. Very much a part of the episodes are her emotional responses to them, and these she conveys with a feeling of candor and comfortable self-awareness. Even when writing about setbacks, disappointments, loss, and grief, she keeps the drama low, engaging our smiles and sympathies without overwhelming us. Laughter, delight, and gratitude prevail.

However, she does not intend to share everything with the public: "I want to keep a quiet portion inside that is my own business, and not anybody else's." (page 238)

I like the way Judi makes us feel we know her, even if we really don't. She's a great actress and knows what it takes to enchant an audience. Her pleasure in her craft and artistry is central to her success, and her thoroughgoing enjoyment of her life's work comes through on every page.

Credit is due as well to John Miller ("as told to"). Without knowing to what extent his hand is in the writing of this book, we can only infer that he played more than a minor role in bringing it to print.

There is also a generous assortment of photographs, many on glossy inset pages for high-quality reproduction.

I've enjoyed Judi Dench's performances in everything I've seen her do over many years. Reading this entertaining account of her acting life adds to my appreciation of her work. ( )
  Meredy | Dec 8, 2014 |
Bought on Audible

What I Loved: Dame Judi Dench is one of those rare famous people that just don't strike you as famous at all. All of her stories reflect her beautiful personality and sparkling humor. She shares stories about her theater plays (of which you can clearly tell is her acting love and something she plans on doing until she cannot anymore), her time in movies, and her family. The best parts are how she speaks so lovingly of friends and family that she has had many years. She forms real bonds with people she works with and many of them have become life long friends. When she speaks of her family, you can tell her love overflowing and that makes you smile! Judi has really lead a very rich and wonderful life that I am so glad that she has shared with us.

What I Liked: She told stories about people you knew (Maggie Smith *squee*) and even people you did not. She brought you into the story so that you smiled when she smiled and got tears in your eyes during the sadder parts.

Complaints: None

Audiobook Review: Judi Dench does the forward of the audiobook then turns it over to her friend Samantha Bond. She does a wonderful job of telling Judi's stories! So much so that after a while you forget that you aren't listening to Judi herself.

Why I Gave it a 4: This is a wonderful addition to books about Judi Dench and I love that this one was from her. I wanted it to be longer but she covered so much of her career that she had to be exhausted at the end.

Who I would recommend this too: Fans of Dame Judi Dench
  thehistorychic | Apr 3, 2013 |
I love Judi Dench. I find her facinating. Reading about her life in theater was really facinating. Her phrases and rhythm of speech shine thru. ( )
  purlewe | Apr 1, 2013 |
Since I love Dame Judi and almost everything she does on film or tv (I've only seen one play that she was in, so I don't want to say I love all the theatre work), it was a no-brainer that I would really enjoy a book in her voice. I also appreciated all of the color and bw pictures from her various roles. Definite must for any of her fans. ( )
  sriemann | Mar 30, 2013 |
Don't read this expecting an autobiography. It's more like Judi sitting down with you to tell you about some of the memories she has of her life in the theater. ( )
  tamora | May 27, 2012 |
What you will find in this light, readable, amusing book are the ins and outs of Dame Judi's sense of humour. The joking, one suspects, is partly a safety curtain – as well as a short cut to camaraderie and a way to avoid any obligation to be serious. There are jests galore. She and Anna Massey pretend to be in an invented film, The Crew, about female lorry drivers (they elaborate by getting special T-shirts printed) to make their male co-stars jealous. Vinegar gets added to stage wine, in playful vengeance, with predictable consequences. Dame Judi and Tim Pigott-Smith, at unexpected moments, astound each other with the – usually inconvenient – presentation of a black glove. The prankfest never lets up. You are left in no doubt that Dame Judi loves to have fun, that laughter is her oxygen.

But And Furthermore could have gone further. It could have been more serious. She has been a star so long that there is a pressure on space: most of her shows (written about chronologically) get only a couple of paragraphs. One often wants more. At least she sneaks in some illuminating directors' notes. Peter Hall advises: "Don't think that you've got to come in and play all of Cleopatra in the first scene. All you do is play aspects of her in all the scenes, and by the end hopefully you'll have the whole character." Hal Prince, as she tries to sing Sally Bowles in Cabaret, urges: "If you can't get it, act that you can't get it."

For Finty and Sammy

I can hardly believe that it is more than half a century since I first stepped on to the stage of the Old Vic Theatre and into a way of life that has brought me the most rewarding professional relationships and friendships.  I cannot imagine now ever doing anything else with my life except acting…” – Judi Dench

From London’s glittering West End to Broadway’s bright lights, from her Academy Award-winning role as Elizabeth I in Shakespeare in Love to “M” in the James Bond films, Judi Dench has treated audiences to some of the greatest performances of our time.  She made her professional acting debut in 1957 with England’s Old Vic theatre company playing Ophelia in Hamlet , Katherine in Henry V (her New York debut), and then, Juliet. In 1961, she joined the Royal Shakespeare Company playing Anya in The Cherry Orchard with John Gielgud and Peggy Ashcroft. In 1968, she went beyond the classical stage to become a sensation as Sally Bowles in Cabaret, adding musical comedy to her repertoire. Over the years, Dench has given indelible performances in the classics as well as some of the greatest plays and musicals of the twentieth century including Noël Coward’s Hay Fever, Stephen Sondheim’s A Little Night Music, Kaufman and Hart’s The Royal Family and David Hare’s Amy’s View (for which she won the Tony Award).  Recently, she made a triumphant return to A Midsummer Night’s Dream as Titania, a role she first played in 1962, now played as a theatre-besotted Queen Elizabeth I.  Her film career has been filled with unforgettable performances of some unforgettable women: Queen Victoria in Mrs. Brown, the terrifying schoolteacher Barbara Covett in Notes on a Scandal and the writer Iris Murdoch in Iris.  And, for the BBC, Dench created another unforgettable woman when she brought her great comic timing and deeply felt emotions to the role of Jean Pargetter in the long-running BBC series As Time Goes By.

And Furthermore is, however, more than the story of a great actress’s career.   It is also the story of Judi Dench’s life: her early days as a child in a family that was in love with the theatre; her marriage to actor Michael Williams; the joy she takes in her daughter, the actress Finty Williams, and her grandson, Sammy.  Filled with Dench’s impish sense of humor, diamond-sharp intelligence and photos from her personal archives, And Furthermore is the book every fan of the great Judi Dench will cherish.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:50 -0400)

From the moment Judi Dench appeared as a teenager in the York Mystery Plays it was clear that acting would be her career. Trained at London's Central School of Speech and Drama it was her performance in her twenties as Juliet in Franco Zeffirelli's memorable Old Vic production that turned her into a star. But it is her role as 'M' in six James Bond films beginning with Golden Eye in 1995 that has gained her worldwide recognition. This book is, however, much more than a career record. Her marriage (Michael Williams died in 2001), their daughter, and her impish sense of humour contribute vividly to her account of more than half a century as Britain's best-loved actress.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,362,184 books! | Top bar: Always visible