The Case of the Missing Marquess: An Enola…

The Case of the Missing Marquess: An Enola Holmes Mystery (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Nancy Springer

Member:Bduke
Title:The Case of the Missing Marquess: An Enola Holmes Mystery
Authors:Nancy Springer
Info:Puffin (2007), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 240 pages
Collections:For school, Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:Mystery, Historical fiction

The Case of the Missing Marquess by Nancy Springer (2006)

Recently added byoonalee, UICS, private library, mrsav, Melanie_Lambrecht, JazMinderr, BethanyvThompson
    The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (sarah-e, LongDogMom)
    sarah-e: A rebellious, young female sleuth in the English gentry, snooping around the countryside to solve mysteries.
    LongDogMom: Flavia de Luce has a similar voice as Enola and both are young, precocious and underestimated detectives.
    Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede (cransell)
    Les étranges soeurs Wilcox, Tome 1 : Les vampires de Londres by Fabrice Colin (Aleana)
    The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman (Aleana)
    The Fall of the Amazing Zalindas by Tracy Mack (megan003)

Enola Holmes is the fourteen year old sister of Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes. Their mother mysteriously vanishes on Enola's birthday, and Enola is determined to find her and thwart the wishes of Mycroft whatever the cost. Soon she finds herself trying to solve another mystery while searching for her mother.

This was a fun, quick read and should be a fun series to follow. ( )
  TheMadHatters | Mar 15, 2014 |
This delightful little tale is the first in a series of children's mystery books. It follows Enola Holmes, 14 year old sister to the much older Mycroft and Sherlock Holmes. Quirky and equally intelligent, Enola leaves home on a search to find her missing mother. Careful to elude being found by her older brothers, she ends up right in the middle of another case of missing persons... a 12 year old marquess from a nearby town.

Even though Enola does find herself in a bit of a dangerous scrape at times, the overall mood of the book is fun and lighthearted. It is a clever take on a Sherlock Holmes spin-off, and who doesn't enjoy a good Sherlock Holmes mystery? This promises to be a fun kids series... I plan to introduce it to my girls. ( )
  lauraodom | Feb 17, 2014 |
The younger sister of Sherlock Holmes, Enola is a girl who hates girlish things. When her mother goes missing, Enola has to figure out where she has gone without letting on to her brothers. Pretty clever. ( )
  Brainannex | Jan 9, 2014 |
Oh what a find! I'm besotted with Enola, an intelligent and driven fourteen year old, her voice was an absolute joy to follow and I've missed it since closing the book. The characters are colourful and interesting and the ending is careful, very moving and far from sugary neat. Some great feminist ideas in this book. It reminded me of The Agency series by Y.S. Lee. Such a treat. I can't wait to get back to this world. ( )
  RubyScarlett | Nov 11, 2013 |
I'm always up for a new take on Holmes or associated characters (I love the Mary Russell books and Carol Nelson Douglas' Irene Adler series). I really liked this book. The narrator is Enola Holmes, Sherlock and Mycroft's little (by many years) sister. She is spritely and spirited, independent and intuitive. At no point does the book slip into maudlin or ridiculous territory - despite the unusual premise, it's really quite believable.

I'm really looking forward to reading the rest of the series - my library has at least the next two, and I'm going to pick them up tonight. ( )
  liz.mabry | Sep 11, 2013 |
To my mother -- N.S.
The only light struggles from the few gas street-lamps that remain unbroken, and from pots of fire suspended above the cobblestones, tended by old men selling boiled sea snails outside the public houses.

When Enola Holmes, sister to the detective Sherlock Holmes, discovers her mother has disappeared, she quickly embarks on a journey to London in search of her. But nothing can prepare her for what awaits. Because when she arrives, she finds herself involved in the kidnapping of a young marquess, fleeing murderous villains, and trying to elude her shrewd older brothers—all while attempting to piece together clues to her mother’s strange disappearance. Amid all the mayhem, will Enola be able to decode the necessary clues and find her mother?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:50 -0400)

Enola Holmes, much younger sister of detective Sherlock Holmes, must travel to London in disguise to unravel the disappearance of her missing mother.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,366,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible