I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

I Am Number Four

by Pittacus Lore

This book is about a boy who was flown of his plant with others like him before his planet was wiped out. He traveled to earth moving from plce to place with his "garde". He was living Florida at the time when the third died and the warning burned in to his ankel. his "garde" already had a place in mind to move. A place less sunny and more remote. a town called paradise Ohio. ( )
  JacobDb1 | Aug 26, 2014 |
Great read. I could hardly put this book down and can't wait too start the second one!! ( )
  Elliepoole | Aug 19, 2014 |
I didn't want to read this one on principle, but I found I did enjoy the story. I think it will be an interesting series. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
4 stars is a little too generous, but this was a fun YA adventure, so 3.4. I can see why they made it into a movie. It has a lot of adventure, mystery, tension, & a strong, clean romance thread. (Kissing & some snuggling, but they never even got to groping.) There's also a well done moral message. The only partying is done by others & winds up causing a complete catastrophe. There was also a strong environmental thread. All good stuff & it was very readable. The story flowed and covered enough time.

On the downside, the science was too magical & the magic was too opportunistic at times. IOW, it really strained my suspension of belief. There were a few specific instances that made me want to put down the book.
- The size of the planets. If they'd said 'amount of usable land' or something, I could have swallowed that Lorien was 1/3 of Earth, but to say the planet was 1/3 Earth's size doesn't make sense from the little (tiny actually) amount I know. If it's that much smaller it would have to be much denser, probably way too many heavy elements to be anything but a hell hole. Maybe I've read too much SF where that is usually the case, but Mars is more than 1/2 the size of Earth & can't keep an atmosphere & it's in the news a lot right now.
- The animal talking. He is specifically told by Henri that the hand light thing is his first legacy, but at the end he says chatting with the deer showed that animal communication was his first.
- The whole bit with huge sizes in the monsters just struck me as clunky. Even the scouts were pretty bad ass & almost had them. Why should they cart around something on a tractor trailer while still trying to keep from being noticed when a bus full of scouts would have served just as well?
- His dog's ability to change from a tiny lizard into a 30' monster & fly. It was foreshadowed so obviously that there wasn't any doubt from the time it showed up as to what it was to the reader. He should have tipped to it much sooner. That he didn't makes him just seem stupid.
- His dog's size might just be a personal pet peeve, but there needs to be some conservation of mass & energy. If he's going to go from a beagle to a monster, where did all the mass come from? The energy? One or the other should have been addressed.

OK, that's 5 things & while none were deal breakers, even YA should have a slightly higher level of logic than this showed at these times. As an adult read, I'd be hard pressed to give it even 3 stars. I won't rush to read a second book, but I do appreciate that this one didn't end on a cliff hanger the way so many do.

The author gives me a chuckle, so make sure you read the afterword. Of course, it also begs the question of why the elders left their planet for ours (at least this author did) a year or 2 earlier. Was their planet doomed? There was nothing they could do to prepare their people? Why were these few kids left until the last moment before being shipped to safety? Could they have needed the personal experience to create the emotions that would carry them through the battle? That doesn't make sense when the magic memory stones are taken into account, though. Oh well, I'm sure there is some wonderful reason they sacrificed almost the entire population of a planet not to mention the entire environment with all its animals (some obviously intelligent) & plants. That's a big price to pay. I just hope I can swallow it. Frankly, no matter what their reasoning, I really dislike their methods & it detracted from the overall mood of the story. ( )
  jimmaclachlan | Aug 18, 2014 |
I really tried but I did not enjoy this book... I kept waiting for it to get good but it never did. ( )
  Tiffy83 | Aug 11, 2014 |
THE EVENTS IN THIS BOOK ARE REAL.

NAMES AND PLACES HAVE BEEN CHANGED
TO PROTECT THE LORIEN SIX,
WHO REMAIN IN HIDING.

TAKE THIS AS YOUR FIRST WARNING.

OTHER CIVILIZATIONS DO EXIST.

SOME OF THEM SEEK TO DESTROY YOU.
The door starts shaking.
I pick up a birth certificate that he has already finished.  The name written is James Hughes.  The date of birth would make me one year older.  I'd be sixteen and able to drive.  Then I bend over and look at the one he is in the process of creating. The name listed is Jobie Frey, age eighteen, a legal adult.

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

In rural Ohio, friendships and a beautiful girl prove distracting to a fifteen-year-old who has hidden on Earth for ten years waiting to develop the Legacies, or powers, he will need to rejoin the other six surviving Garde members and fight the Mogadorians who destroyed their planet, Lorien.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

Two editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061969559, 0062026240

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,345,667 books! | Top bar: Always visible