I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

I Am Number Four

by Pittacus Lore

2,536None2,374 (3.62)97
2011 (25) action (26) adventure (37) alien (12) aliens (131) coming of age (12) ebook (29) fantasy (60) fiction (91) friendship (18) high school (18) Kindle (15) Lorien Legacies (20) love (10) movie (14) Ohio (12) own (11) read (24) read in 2011 (21) romance (38) science fiction (254) series (36) sf (11) superpowers (19) survival (13) teen (31) to-read (72) YA (114) young adult (105) young adult fiction (12)

Eh. A lot of it felt like something I’d seen before. The magic and world building is silly/stupid/illogical. The characters were pretty dull. But it’s page-turning crowd pleaser. So if you want adventure, comic book action, and a saccharine romance, this may be a book for you. ( )
  EuronerdLibrarian | Mar 18, 2014 |
Perhaps my sense of what makes good young adult science fiction is off, but this struck me as a remarkably bland plot conveyed through mediocre writing. The basic frame - aliens invade a fruitful planet, which sends a rocket to Earth with nine small kids in hopes that they'll someday be able to repopulate the species - makes no biological, political, or logistical sense. The book is full of details like that - the evil aliens can't kill the good ones except in numerical order, unless two of the good ones meet, in which case they are all vulnerable. Why? Because the plotting doesn't work otherwise - but the only in-story reason is a bunch of hand-waving that amounts to, 'because that's how Lorien powers work.' The book also faces a common YA fiction problem of a scale mismatch between the love story and the main plot; if its solution isn't quite 'love conquers all', it's not far off. On the whole, the book isn't horrible, but I'm puzzled that anyone bothered to make a movie of it. ( )
  bezoar44 | Mar 16, 2014 |
Written to appeal to boys (Hemingway) rather than girls (Jane Austen). Warning - Only give this book to someone who needs to get hooked on a series! More action than should be able to fit on a page. Heart-pounding excitement. Clever build up and explanations of the world John/Four has left and the one he inhabits with Henri here on earth. Very well-done and also very enjoyable. ( )
  dibs139 | Feb 20, 2014 |
Anyone else a list maker? I like lists. I thought I’d do a list for I Am Number Four since it lends itself to nice tidy little four bullet lists (unless you are a rule breaker like me…oops)!

Four things I liked about I Am Number Four:

1. The relationship between Henri and John.

2. Sarah

3. I liked the discovery of the Legacies over the course of the book.

4. I connected with John as a narrator. I thought I got a good feel of what he was about.

Four things that left questions:

1. How does he get visions of things he’s never seen?

2. Mark James in Act 2.

3. Sam’s dad (and mom…). Ghost parents annoy me.

4. What is John’s real name?

Bonus #5. Who is Pittacus Lore?!

Four books/movies/shows this one reminded me of (there’s not a whole lot of sense in these maybe):

1. Divergent…we were like one step away from calling him Four.

2. Maze Runner…the last book I read with a young male first person narrative.

3. Vampire Diaries…there’s a big fight in a school with kids who have powers and some who don’t.

4. The movie Twister for some reason. why?? Maybe it was because I watched the trailer for the movie and the guy who plays Henri (Timothy Olyphant) reminds me of Bill Paxton.

Bonus #5. Harry Potter…the Mogadorians reminded me of Dementors.

I will probably read the next book just to see some answers to my questions. Sometimes in books I am blown away and impressed with the world created by the author. You feel like there are things the author knows about this world that is just too much to include in the story. It is fully fleshed out and you can understand the rules and boundaries governing the characters. I didn’t get that solid feeling in this series. I can excuse it a little because our author doesn’t know all the rules yet so therefore we are learning them along with “John”.

Can we stop calling the dog Bernie Kosar? What an unfortunate name for a dog. I also tripped over the word Mogadorian every single time I read it. I know it’s ridiculous and even though I’m a very fast reader, I still say things in my head as I read them so when words trip up in my head and are used constantly, it drives me batty and I want to make up a new name for them. I called the the Madorians for the last half of the book. I’m thinking this admission might be too much information. We don’t know each other well enough for you to see inside my head. scratch that. delete.

I don’t like the word Mogadorian. It sounds weird.

You’ll like this one if you want to see the movie. You’ll probably like it if you like Vampire Diaries…there’s cute teen love and mysterious guys with inhuman powers. It was good…not awesome.

http://booksbeyondtheend.com/i-am-number-four/ ( )
  booksbydtheend | Jan 10, 2014 |
A quick & easy read. I liked the bits about Lorien the best & I liked it best when Six showed up & the action really kicked in. I thought there was far too much time spent on Sarah butshe's largely forgettable, so it's not worth much complaint. I will read the second in the series because of the prospect of more Six & I want to know more about all things Lorien. ( )
  anissaannalise | Jan 1, 2014 |
THE EVENTS IN THIS BOOK ARE REAL.

NAMES AND PLACES HAVE BEEN CHANGED
TO PROTECT THE LORIEN SIX,
WHO REMAIN IN HIDING.

TAKE THIS AS YOUR FIRST WARNING.

OTHER CIVILIZATIONS DO EXIST.

SOME OF THEM SEEK TO DESTROY YOU.
The door starts shaking.
I pick up a birth certificate that he has already finished.  The name written is James Hughes.  The date of birth would make me one year older.  I'd be sixteen and able to drive.  Then I bend over and look at the one he is in the process of creating. The name listed is Jobie Frey, age eighteen, a legal adult.

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

In rural Ohio, friendships and a beautiful girl prove distracting to a fifteen-year-old who has hidden on Earth for ten years waiting to develop the Legacies, or powers, he will need to rejoin the other six surviving Garde members and fight the Mogadorians who destroyed their planet, Lorien.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

Two editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061969559, 0062026240

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,463,504 books! | Top bar: Always visible