I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

I Am Number Four

by Pittacus Lore

Recently added bysncase1, private library, Musonius, MadiBour, MacMasterFamily, Pigletto, blurvey, M.OConnor

Dang hard to put down. Looking forward to the next one.... Quite a cliffhanger ending. ( )
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
  librarymary09 | May 24, 2014 |
I decided to read this book becaue I vaguely remembered the advertisements for the movie and remembered I thought that it sounded good. The alien theme made me a little hesitant, as that isn't normally my thing.
I certainly don't regret reading it. The plot was interesting, and although the villains are more your typical alien, the heroes of the novel are more on the human side. The main character, John, is likeable, and two of his sidekicks Sam and Bernie Kosar were absolutely endearing.
However, I didn't really like the writing style of the novel, and found some parts hard to read through, though the action scenes were rather good. This makes me think that I will like the movie better, and I look forward to watching it soon. My only other issue with the novel is the romance between Sarah and John. Although they had their cutesy movements, I felt like parts of the romance were a little bland, a little shallow. And although I won't spoil the surprise for readers-to-be the character that comes in at the end seems like she has alot of potential as a heroine. ( )
  Sweet_Serenity | May 20, 2014 |
The grammar nazi in me went a little insane between all the comma splices and incomplete sentences (FRIEND. Learn to use a SEMICOLON). Are writers/editors just completely incapable of using proper English anymore? Ugh. But I digress.

It's worth reading anyway. Good plot and interesting characters. I may go on to read the others in the series, but I'm not ready to make the switch to a completely different set of main characters--I find that jarring. For now, I'm on to something different entirely.

3.5 stars. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
The good: I enjoyed the set up--at the beginning it very much reminded me of the Animorphs. I'll admit the name "Four" threw me for a loop after having finished the Divergent series recently. This wasn't the book I thought it was, but I enjoyed it anyway. It's fast paced and keeps you wanting to know more about the characters and the situation.

I liked seeing the romance between Four and Sarah, although I think that was a little overdone. Or perhaps I'm just not a fan of too much romance in novels.

The bad: Am I the only one who didn't believe in Mark's about-face? At the beginning of the book, he loathes Four and then, at the end, he's willing to risk his life for him? I know that he is very attached to his dogs and Sarah and Four saved all three of them, but that doesn't seem like a strong enough conviction to me. We still don't know what Henri said to convince him to come along and for me, the lack of connection between how he changed, instead of being told he changed, weakens the plot.

There were also several inconsistencies, that, while minor, detracted from my suspension of disbelief. Um, guys? A truck that's been sitting for eight years is not going to have enough gas to get an hour away. Hell, if the fumes from the gas and the car shuddering along on bad gas don't stop them right there, I'd be shocked. I know, this is a book about aliens, but realism would be nice.

Two--I was really hoping that Sarah would turn out to be an alien. I'm kind of sick of the "new kid comes to school and immediately, girl/boy falls for him/her" trope. It's overdone. It's cliched. Please stop it.

Three-- I already covered this, but...the thing with Mark. Yeah, no, suspension of disbelief broken there.

Four-- Also, while we're on that subject, Henri told Four that he could only see memories of things that he was there for. So how the hell did he remember the second ship? Oh, and his dog being his old pet is certainly very convenient.

Overall: I mean, overall, I thought I liked it, but now that I'm reading this review over, I realize that it wasn't a very strong book. The author believes in telling, not showing, and that detracts from the novel's strength. I really want to know why the enemy aliens hate the Lorics so much. It can't just be over resources, because why would you expand that much time to stalk them to Earth? Ugh. Don't make them generic villains. Just don't.

I am disappointed. I might read the second book, though I'm thinking now the answer is most likely no. ( )
  liveshipvivacia | Apr 26, 2014 |
THE EVENTS IN THIS BOOK ARE REAL.

NAMES AND PLACES HAVE BEEN CHANGED
TO PROTECT THE LORIEN SIX,
WHO REMAIN IN HIDING.

TAKE THIS AS YOUR FIRST WARNING.

OTHER CIVILIZATIONS DO EXIST.

SOME OF THEM SEEK TO DESTROY YOU.
The door starts shaking.
I pick up a birth certificate that he has already finished.  The name written is James Hughes.  The date of birth would make me one year older.  I'd be sixteen and able to drive.  Then I bend over and look at the one he is in the process of creating. The name listed is Jobie Frey, age eighteen, a legal adult.

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

In rural Ohio, friendships and a beautiful girl prove distracting to a fifteen-year-old who has hidden on Earth for ten years waiting to develop the Legacies, or powers, he will need to rejoin the other six surviving Garde members and fight the Mogadorians who destroyed their planet, Lorien.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

Two editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061969559, 0062026240

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,603,216 books! | Top bar: Always visible