I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

I Am Number Four (edition 2011)

by Pittacus Lore

Member:KatieBufton
Title:I Am Number Four
Authors:Pittacus Lore
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Rating:*****

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

Teenage alien danger action. The characters may be a bit flat, but there is just enough meat to keep you turning the pages to see what happens. It rarely slows down without leaving a sense impending doom. ( )
  dougcornelius | Dec 17, 2014 |
I'm generally not a fan of science fiction, but this book was really very interesting. Not only did you have a teen dealing with teen problems, but in getting to know himself and his strengths, he also has to deal with the onset of amazing powers which he has to both hide from the other teens and figure out a way to master and increase them at the same time. I liked the story of Lorien how and why he and Henri came to earth and most of it was logical. What I couldn't fathom was why John never really questioned Bernie Kosar's behavior. Otherwise, I look forward to reading the next in the series because Six is a kick-ass female character. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Nov 27, 2014 |
This book is the first in the Lorien Series, written about a powerful alien species whose planet was defeated by an evil alien race, the Mogadorians. As a result, nine of the gifted Lorien children were sent to Earth along with their guardians to live separately while waiting for their powers to appear. A charm has been placed on the Lorien children, requiring the Mogadorians to kill them in numerical order. Three have been found and executed, as indicated by the appearance of three scarred rings on John Smith’s ankle. Now the hunt for John has begun, for he is number four. The story takes an interesting turn when John, attempting to simply blend in at a new school, meets a girl. Letting his guard down, John also gains a new, quirky best friend and adopts of a stray mutt. Unfortunately, the Mogadorians are quick to discover when John is hiding, and his attempt at a normal life quickly implodes. As an interesting aside, this series is written by Pittacus Lore, who heralds himself as ruling elder of Lorien, stating his whereabouts are unknown. As all other science fiction novels, this story requires the reader to suspend disbelief in order to fully enjoy the extraterrestrial references and fantastical characters. Nonetheless, this is a worthy series to add to your science fiction collection ( )
  ginawilliams | Nov 19, 2014 |
I had mixed feelings about this book. The premise and idea surrounding the plot is amazing, but I found that the execution was mediocre. The author could’ve done so much with the idea, and started out strong. However, the plot soon became a little bit flat. The book is about “aliens” from another planet who escape a war and come to earth. There are nine of them, all children, and each is assigned a caregiver and a number. The warring race, the mogadorians, also have a presence on earth, and have made it their job to hunt down the nine children. However, they must kill them in order (starting with number one, and ending with number nine.) This specific book follows child number four and his struggle to escape the mogadorians while still maintaining a “normal” childhood. I think the main reason this book could’ve been better has to do with the author’s writing style. He skipped around a lot, and introduced a lot of unnecessary ideas. It seemed to me like he had a ton of great ideas that he wanted to include in the book, but never really connected them. As a result, the book appears cluttered and disorganized. The main idea of this book is that things aren’t always as they seem. Overall, I give this book 3 ½ stars out of five. ( )
  lmcswe1 | Nov 16, 2014 |
"He ran literally through the wall."
As opposed to figuratively?

Hands coming out of nowhere, choppy writing and, in the few pages I read, basically no editing, I am not even going to waste my time. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
THE EVENTS IN THIS BOOK ARE REAL.

NAMES AND PLACES HAVE BEEN CHANGED
TO PROTECT THE LORIEN SIX,
WHO REMAIN IN HIDING.

TAKE THIS AS YOUR FIRST WARNING.

OTHER CIVILIZATIONS DO EXIST.

SOME OF THEM SEEK TO DESTROY YOU.
The door starts shaking.
I pick up a birth certificate that he has already finished.  The name written is James Hughes.  The date of birth would make me one year older.  I'd be sixteen and able to drive.  Then I bend over and look at the one he is in the process of creating. The name listed is Jobie Frey, age eighteen, a legal adult.

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

In rural Ohio, friendships and a beautiful girl prove distracting to a fifteen-year-old who has hidden on Earth for ten years waiting to develop the Legacies, or powers, he will need to rejoin the other six surviving Garde members and fight the Mogadorians who destroyed their planet, Lorien.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

2 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061969559, 0062026240

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,447,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible