I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

I Am Number Four (edition 2011)

by Pittacus Lore

Member:KatieBufton
Title:I Am Number Four
Authors:Pittacus Lore
Info:HarperCollins (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Rating:*****

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore (Author)

Recently added byshleyATB, Paiger1979, olongbourn, arena100, larissadutra, michele.juza, PG14, private library, Psyko2

I had forgotten that I read this book until a friend put a review up. Then I remembered that I hated it. Its title is by far its best feature.

It is a mash of clichés, with nothing new or original that I could detect. "I Am Number Four" didn't even have enough personality for to be a direct rip-off of a better book. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
Many logic issues took me out of this book. Blending in and being normal is rule number one, and yet only a few days after he develops an immunity to heat, Four is already reaching into hot ovens and grabbing metal with his bare hands in front of people; Henri using being French as a cover for his accent, yet never bothering to learn any French in ten years. There were a few other such instances, but I can't think of them now.

The sheer coincidence of Four's first/only real friend being an alien-obsessed conspiracy theorist was too convenient for my taste. And despite the fact that very few people will ever experience a sizable house fire, Four conveniently has to rescue the girl of his dreams and his worst-enemy's dogs from a blazing fire that ends up causing the climax. Eff this crap. There are coincidences, and then there's lazy-ass-I-couldn't-give-a-crap writing. This is the latter.

The stereotypical school cliques that don't really exist in any normal school (I've gone to/taught at a few dozen middle and high schools and have yet to see evidence of the pop-culture strictness of cliques) was very obnoxious - especially the star-football player = biggest bully/antagonist is a tired trope.

Lore inputs "hints" of things to come with all the subtlety and grace of getting hit by a Mack truck. I'm only halfway through and already the lizard, the dog, and what happened with the elders is blatantly obvious (edit: I was right on all counts).

Overall, very "meh".

Dangerous Days of Daniel X did it better. ( )
1 vote benuathanasia | Jan 16, 2015 |
No sooner than I finished this book I had already picked up it's sequel to continue the story. No, It's not scientifically accurate, and it contains concepts I have heard of before. Did I read it in one sitting? Yes. Did I cry in the right bits? Yes, and it made me want to pick up the next book straight away. While it might not appeal to fans of true sci-fi or literature, it was certainly an enjoyable way to spend my afternoon. I don't always want to have to rack my brain thinking about how stuff fits in. ( )
  Karyn_Ainsworth | Dec 29, 2014 |
Teenage alien danger action. The characters may be a bit flat, but there is just enough meat to keep you turning the pages to see what happens. It rarely slows down without leaving a sense impending doom. ( )
  dougcornelius | Dec 17, 2014 |
I'm generally not a fan of science fiction, but this book was really very interesting. Not only did you have a teen dealing with teen problems, but in getting to know himself and his strengths, he also has to deal with the onset of amazing powers which he has to both hide from the other teens and figure out a way to master and increase them at the same time. I liked the story of Lorien how and why he and Henri came to earth and most of it was logical. What I couldn't fathom was why John never really questioned Bernie Kosar's behavior. Otherwise, I look forward to reading the next in the series because Six is a kick-ass female character. ( )
  whymaggiemay | Nov 27, 2014 |

Lore, PittacusAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brender, IrmelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaplan, AdamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meer, Joost van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oostendorp, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE EVENTS IN THIS BOOK ARE REAL.

NAMES AND PLACES HAVE BEEN CHANGED
TO PROTECT THE LORIEN SIX,
WHO REMAIN IN HIDING.

TAKE THIS AS YOUR FIRST WARNING.

OTHER CIVILIZATIONS DO EXIST.

SOME OF THEM SEEK TO DESTROY YOU.
The door starts shaking.
I pick up a birth certificate that he has already finished.  The name written is James Hughes.  The date of birth would make me one year older.  I'd be sixteen and able to drive.  Then I bend over and look at the one he is in the process of creating. The name listed is Jobie Frey, age eighteen, a legal adult.

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

In rural Ohio, friendships and a beautiful girl prove distracting to a fifteen-year-old who has hidden on Earth for ten years waiting to develop the Legacies, or powers, he will need to rejoin the other six surviving Garde members and fight the Mogadorians who destroyed their planet, Lorien.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

2 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061969559, 0062026240

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,768,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible