I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1)…

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Pittacus Lore

Member:MinDea
Title:I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1)
Authors:Pittacus Lore
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore (Author)

Nine aliens and their guardians are hiding on Earth … protected by a charm that means they can only be killed in numeric order. Three are already dead. John Smith is Number Four.
John has to keep moving: he’s got to outrun his past; escape his mortal enemies the Mogadorians, and blend into normal student life. But above all he must pray his newly found powers – alien legacies from home Planet Lorien – don’t give him away before he can complete his destiny, unlock his powers and protect his future.

In the beginning we were nine.
We left when we were very young, almost too young to remember. Almost. And now . . .
Three are gone.
We are here to keep our race alive, which was almost entirely obliterated. We’re just trying to survive.
Six are left.
But we are hunted, and the hunters won’t stop until they’ve killed us all.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
I am Number Four.
I know that I am next.
http://www.iamnumberfour.co.uk, 2015) ( )
  nicsreads | Mar 18, 2015 |
Leif Githmark

I am Number Four is a fantastic book by the author Pittacus Lore. This book has great action and adventure. It follows the life of a teen boy who is an alien/super human. He has to keep changing his name when he begins to live in Ohio his name is John smith. He lives with his guardian Henri. Henri needs to keep John safe because the Mogadorians are coming after him. The Mogadorians are these shark like creatures who try to kill the kids. They have to kill the kids in order of the number. They had killed 1,2, and 3. So now they are after John who is number 4. John begins his life in Ohio going to high school and getting bullied a lot. He begins to go through changes as he is in school. He learns he has new powers. John meets this girl named Sarah she is nice to john. John begins to like her but another girl comes to town it is number 6. She is there to protect john. The Mogadorians have found where John is staying and that he lives in Ohio. One night the Mogadorians go to the school where John is and there is a giant fight. John and Number 6 kill all the Mogadorians. Once the huge fight at the school goes down John and number 6 have to because everyone knows they're not human. So at the end John leaves with number 6 and Sahra is very sad. I thought this book was great.
  Legi14 | Mar 17, 2015 |
Wasn't sure I would get into it because it seemed more like a guys alien story, but I could not put the book down. Soo good!!! I can't wait to read the next book! ( )
  Paiger1979 | Mar 3, 2015 |
I had forgotten that I read this book until a friend put a review up. Then I remembered that I hated it. Its title is by far its best feature.

It is a mash of clichés, with nothing new or original that I could detect. "I Am Number Four" didn't even have enough personality for to be a direct rip-off of a better book. ( )
  wishanem | Jan 27, 2015 |
Many logic issues took me out of this book. Blending in and being normal is rule number one, and yet only a few days after he develops an immunity to heat, Four is already reaching into hot ovens and grabbing metal with his bare hands in front of people; Henri using being French as a cover for his accent, yet never bothering to learn any French in ten years. There were a few other such instances, but I can't think of them now.

The sheer coincidence of Four's first/only real friend being an alien-obsessed conspiracy theorist was too convenient for my taste. And despite the fact that very few people will ever experience a sizable house fire, Four conveniently has to rescue the girl of his dreams and his worst-enemy's dogs from a blazing fire that ends up causing the climax. Eff this crap. There are coincidences, and then there's lazy-ass-I-couldn't-give-a-crap writing. This is the latter.

The stereotypical school cliques that don't really exist in any normal school (I've gone to/taught at a few dozen middle and high schools and have yet to see evidence of the pop-culture strictness of cliques) was very obnoxious - especially the star-football player = biggest bully/antagonist is a tired trope.

Lore inputs "hints" of things to come with all the subtlety and grace of getting hit by a Mack truck. I'm only halfway through and already the lizard, the dog, and what happened with the elders is blatantly obvious (edit: I was right on all counts).

Overall, very "meh".

Dangerous Days of Daniel X did it better. ( )
1 vote benuathanasia | Jan 16, 2015 |

Lore, PittacusAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brender, IrmelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaplan, AdamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meer, Joost van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oostendorp, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE EVENTS IN THIS BOOK ARE REAL.

NAMES AND PLACES HAVE BEEN CHANGED
TO PROTECT THE LORIEN SIX,
WHO REMAIN IN HIDING.

TAKE THIS AS YOUR FIRST WARNING.

OTHER CIVILIZATIONS DO EXIST.

SOME OF THEM SEEK TO DESTROY YOU.
The door starts shaking.
I pick up a birth certificate that he has already finished.  The name written is James Hughes.  The date of birth would make me one year older.  I'd be sixteen and able to drive.  Then I bend over and look at the one he is in the process of creating. The name listed is Jobie Frey, age eighteen, a legal adult.

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

In rural Ohio, friendships and a beautiful girl prove distracting to a fifteen-year-old who has hidden on Earth for ten years waiting to develop the Legacies, or powers, he will need to rejoin the other six surviving Garde members and fight the Mogadorians who destroyed their planet, Lorien.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

2 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061969559, 0062026240

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,571,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible