I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1)…

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Pittacus Lore

Member:MinDea
Title:I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1)
Authors:Pittacus Lore
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Read, Your library

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

English (267)  Slovak (1)  All (1)  All (269)
People reaaaalllly loved this book, but I thought it was just, eh. I was sadly surprised it didn't deliver.
Not sure what I was expecting, but it was not THAT awesome. The plot moved along okay, and I'm always up for fun Sci-Fi adventures, but I felt unmoved in general. Oh well. ( )
  libheroine | Jun 5, 2017 |
Pittacus Lore
I Am Number Four
A young boy under the alias “John Smith” is on the run from mogs, a form of aliens, John is part of the Garde, a species of alien that has powers and is said to bring peace on their worlds there are 10 in total and must be killed in order. With Henri, his guardian, he’s been on the run since he was a few years old, running from aliens who wish to kill him next. When John gets to Paradise Falls, a tiny town, he falls in love with Sarah, and life gets messy from there, with his form changing pet Bernie kosher, and best friend Sam, John must figure out how to save the Human race.
The cover design before the movie is compelling, showing the Loric scar all Garde possess, a show of the universe, after the movie’s release, the cover is of the actor who plays john, and definitely draws a reader in.
The book is good for those who love a good series and young adults, as it is a nice fantasy novel. ( )
  lchs.mrso | May 22, 2017 |
Started off as an interesting twist on typical YA fiction (you know: special person falls into undying love) but got bogged down at the end with unending fight scenes ( )
  DidIReallyReadThat | May 19, 2017 |
I Am Number Four
by Pittacus Lore (James Frey & Jobie Hughes)
#1 Lorien Legacies
3-1/2*

Two out of an original 18 aliens from the planet Lorien have been hiding on Earth for a decade. The older, Henri, is a guardian, teacher, and father figure to 14yo John Smith (they choose new identities with each sudden move as they sense danger lurking) awaiting John's latent legacies (superpowers) to show themselves in readiness for battle against their race's enemy, the Mogadorian, after which they hope to return to their brutalized home planet. For everyone's safety, the rest all scattered upon arrival hoping to meet up again down the road after the young ones had grown into their full power. Because of some charm placed on them, their enemy is only able to kill one at a time and in order of their number. When one is killed, all the rest are made aware of it by a sudden painful burning tattoo which appears on their leg. So far, the first three have been killed. John Smith is Number Four, so he knows the Mogadorian are now targeting him.

Their recent move has brought them to a little town called Paradise, Ohio, where John immediately encounters the typical groups of teens: a bully and his entourage of fellow jocks, the pretty and smart cheerleader ex-girlfriend, the picked on nerdy kid who is into astronomy, etc. As his legacies begin to present themselves, usually under moments of stress or when adrenaline kicks in, he trains and learns to control them in between living life trying to fit in as a typical teenager, finding a best friend in Sam and a girlfriend in Sarah. Even as threats loom from the Mogadorian, John is desperate to stay in Paradise, resulting in everyone he cares about becoming part of the unavoidable battle.

There were a couple nods to the authors themselves, one referring to the pseudonym "Pittacus Lore" as a powerful entity for the Loric people. Also the names James, Frey, Jobie, and Hughes were names used for side characters.

I listened to the audio version narrated by Neil Kaplan. Please avoid this and read another version. Although Kaplan's normal voice is very pleasant, his forced falsetto for female voices was...not, the frequency of his sudden actual yelling made me jump, the nasally "nerd" voice assigned to Sam, and the use of Patrick's voice à la Spongebob (I'm not exaggerating) for the character playing the bully was seriously laughable. I literally had tears rolling down my face when he would say things like, "What are you going to do? Run away and cryyyyyyy like a baby?" I did enjoy Henri's Jamaican-Rastafarian-sounding voice, however. It reminded me of the lovely Geoffrey Holder and his 7-up commercials from the 80s.

Although the teenage angst was often sappy and melodramatic at times, I found this to be an enjoyable story in itself and am interested enough to continue on with the series. ( )
  AddictedToMorphemes | Apr 29, 2017 |
I didn't enjoy this at all. I don't know if I'm just getting too old or what. It's been a long time, but I remember I liked the movie when I watched it. The book just seemed ridiculous to me though. Before reading it, I accidentally read I Am Number Four: The Lost Files: The Legacies because the covers are so similar. I thought it was really good so I may not give up on the series yet. ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |

Lore, Pittacusprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brender, IrmelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaplan, AdamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meer, Joost van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oostendorp, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE EVENTS IN THIS BOOK ARE REAL.

NAMES AND PLACES HAVE BEEN CHANGED
TO PROTECT THE LORIEN SIX,
WHO REMAIN IN HIDING.

TAKE THIS AS YOUR FIRST WARNING.

OTHER CIVILIZATIONS DO EXIST.

SOME OF THEM SEEK TO DESTROY YOU.
The door starts shaking.
I pick up a birth certificate that he has already finished.  The name written is James Hughes.  The date of birth would make me one year older.  I'd be sixteen and able to drive.  Then I bend over and look at the one he is in the process of creating. The name listed is Jobie Frey, age eighteen, a legal adult.

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

In rural Ohio, friendships and a beautiful girl prove distracting to a fifteen-year-old who has hidden on Earth for ten years waiting to develop the Legacies, or powers, he will need to rejoin the other six surviving Garde members and fight the Mogadorians who destroyed their planet, Lorien.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

2 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061969559, 0062026240

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,238,947 books! | Top bar: Always visible