I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1)…

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Pittacus Lore

Title:I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1)
Authors:Pittacus Lore
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore (Author)

I read this book because I want to see the movie and because I'd heard about it a while ago and it piqued my interest. Here is the goodreads description:
In the beginning they were a group of nine. Nine aliens who left their home planet of Lorien when it fell under attack by the evil Mogadorian. Nine aliens who scattered on Earth. Nine aliens who look like ordinary teenagers living ordinary lives, but who have extraordinary, paranormal skills. Nine aliens who might be sitting next to you now.

The Nine had to separate and go into hiding. The Mogadorian caught Number One in Malaysia, Number Two in England, and Number Three in Kenya. All of them were killed. John Smith, of Paradise, Ohio, is Number Four. He knows that he is next.
I Am Number Four is essentially a coming-of-age story with science-fiction elements. John has moved around constantly since he was sent to earth with his guardian, Henrie. He has no roots; he just blends into the background, never having friends, never going on dates. The majority of the book finds John developing his Legacies (powers) while becoming attached to his most recent life in Paradise, Ohio. For the first time he has attachments, Sam, his first friend and Sarah, the girl he really likes. The story -- told from his perspective -- is about him navigating around obstacles that would expose who he is. Naturally, he makes questionable decisions that, good intentions or not, stand to put the people he cares about in danger.

I like the book. It delivered on my expectations. The characters aren't very well-developed, but they're not entirely one-dimensional either. They're all pretty generic and stereotypical, but they're likable for the most part, and I find that I was invested in them. The story glides along at a fairly quick pace, adding small conflicts throughout to keep it interesting. That is its strength. It builds up to a major final conflict that is action-packed and emotionally trying. The story was fairly predictable for me, but there was enough to it that it kept my interest and I enjoyed it.

I give it 3.5/5 stars. ( )
  rawrrbot | Sep 15, 2015 |
This is another "teenagers out to save the world" series, except they are aliens and they are trying to fight off a race of aliens (Mogadorians) who have destroyed their planet and are not set to take over earth. Sound a bit odd? It is - but it is also an interesting read.

Number Four is the first Lorian to tell the story. He has been on the run his entire life with his Cepan (guide) moving him from town to town across the US. Four (John is his human name) hides in plain sight in small towns until life there becomes compromised in some way and then they move on. They end up in Paradise for longer than usual and it is there that Henri (the Cepan) begins to tell John what his life is really all about - how he was sent from Loric as the planet was consumed with 9 other children and the legacies of Lorian. These legacies are special talents that grow as the children mature and will be used to defend themselves and remake Loric in the future.

image from LibraryThing

Following a fiery explosion and the heart-breaking death of Henri, Four meets the next of his group, Six. She is completely different from Four - confident and in control of her legacies in a way he only wishes. Four, Six and Sam, a friend from Paradise, escape Paradise and hit the road. They find an abandoned house and heal and train and grow their abilities.

But, the unknown Mogadorians and Sam's missing father haunt them. As do the scars burned in their legs. Each time one of the original Garde is caught and killed by the Mogadorians, a scar is seared into their legs.

The story shifts a bit in the next book and more of the Garde are introduced - the story telling moves between the characters until they all end up in the penthouse apartment of Six at the top of the John Hancock building in Chicago. As the Garde gather and train and learn from one another more and more of the story comes out. It is their responsibility to carry on their legacy. But, at what cost? They are after all only children. All of them have lost their Cepan's and some have lost the chests of their Loric tools. But the end of this book the group is: Four, Six, Eight, Nine and Ten plus Sarah (Four's girlfriend) and Sam his friend.

image from LibraryThing

The story shifts as Five joins the Garde. He adds a layer of darkness and tension. Sam also is able to reunite with his Father who disappeared long ago - he was one of the Greeters who welcomed the Lorian spaceship to earth. I found this book harder to understand. The storytelling switches between characters - each using the first person. I was sometimes a bit confused by who was talking. The font is different for each - but not drastically. I found it distracting from the storyline.

I like parts of these - but get so tired of the teenage angst that is layered in these stories. They remind me of the Series of Unfortunate Events in that Pittacus Lore is also a character in the story. He is the one that Sam's father met on earth - but how can that be since only the children made it to the planet. Each book leaves unanswered questions. I am not sure how dedicated I am to stick with these though. It would be much easier to just wait and read them all at once... ( )
  kebets | Sep 14, 2015 |
Fun and easy to follow along ( )
  epotter89 | Sep 8, 2015 |
I really liked it.. I loved the movie a lot, but I love the book even more!
and that's saying something. ( )
  smiley0905 | Sep 3, 2015 |
I had low expectations from this book since I've heard it was a bit boring. It was good, better than what i expected. It was exciting and it just made me cry at the end. I did not appreciate the romantic part though. I think the book will still be as good without the romance, They are 15 year old teenagers and I don't think romantic love was that important. Still, I love all the characters! I'll definitely read the next one. ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Aug 31, 2015 |

Lore, PittacusAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brender, IrmelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaplan, AdamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meer, Joost van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oostendorp, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The door starts shaking.
I pick up a birth certificate that he has already finished.  The name written is James Hughes.  The date of birth would make me one year older.  I'd be sixteen and able to drive.  Then I bend over and look at the one he is in the process of creating. The name listed is Jobie Frey, age eighteen, a legal adult.

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

In rural Ohio, friendships and a beautiful girl prove distracting to a fifteen-year-old who has hidden on Earth for ten years waiting to develop the Legacies, or powers, he will need to rejoin the other six surviving Garde members and fight the Mogadorians who destroyed their planet, Lorien.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

2 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061969559, 0062026240

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,779,806 books! | Top bar: Always visible