I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1)…

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Pittacus Lore

Member:MinDea
Title:I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1)
Authors:Pittacus Lore
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

You must turn off your brain and ask no questions when reading this book. It’s a requirement to enjoy it. I failed miserably. It may be readable but I Am Number Four is predictable and clichéd with inaccurate and vague descriptions and explanations.

For the most part I Am Number Four is an easy read although the language at times struck me as amateurish and clunky. Perhaps I expected too much after all this is YA but Lorien, it’s inhabitants and culture were too simple or too similar to that of Earth and humans. I was hoping for a bit more alieness than just boy-with-powers and shapeshifting animals. I expected a new spin on this cliché of a story but it was an incompetent rehash of old formulas.

A lot of “how” questions kept popping into my head in relation to unrealistic circumstances. A major one:

From what I understand 19 Loriens made it to Earth. The rest are dead. Those 19 have to repopulate Lorien when the time comes. Henri tries to dissuade John from procreating with humans because he’ll need a Lorien partner to produce pure children.

Erm...are you serious? How would this work? You need many more individuals for a species to prosper. Reproduction would eventually become incestuous with the result of such unions suffering the disorders (deformities genetic disease infertility = extinction ) associated with inbreeding due to little genetic diversity in such a small gene pool making it impossible to adapt, evolve and therefore survive and prosper. A tad scientific but this is science fiction, emphasis on the science. I learned the above in high school biology and this is aimed at that age group -I’m just sayin’.

Other “how” questions:
--> How could John’s girlfriend, Sarah so easily accept his alien status without much proof?
--> How did Mark come by the message that brought him to John’s home and into the fight?
--> How did Henri explain what was going on to Mark?
--> How did Six survive her many serious wounds?
--> How can a book with so many illogical errors not only make it to publication but be turned into a movie when there are so many better ones out there?

Why is the book by Pittacus Lore? It doesn’t make sense. Didn’t he die 10 years ago with the rest of his people? There was something about the elders disappearing during the ultimate battle on Lorien so there’s a small possibility he still lives, however the book is in first person from John’s POV. WTH?!

Small sidenote: I don’t know about other countries but here in the UK “spastically” is controversial and considered highly offensive if not used in a medical context. I was very surprised to see it here but I’ll put it down to cultural difference and move on.

The final battle didn’t interest me. I skimmed. There were moments throughout the book that gripped me. That were exciting. I liked Henri, John and his dog they made a good team but it seems they’re fighting a losing battle. Henri encourages us to have hope even when the task ahead appears impossible but 6 kids with powers versus a whole race –I’m not optimistic. No matter how many abilities these superhero kids develop.

In some ways this reminds me of [b:The Lightning Thief|28187|The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)|Rick Riordan|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1292845381s/28187.jpg|3346751] with the godlike powers, beasts and the run-for-your-life theme. That was targeted at 9-12 year olds and I think this should be too. I think they’d have a better time with it than I did.

The movie, released next week, looks spiffy and exciting. Hopefully it will be better than the book it’s based on because this was just terrible.

ETA Mar 2, 2011: The movie changed almost everything I had a problem with in the book. It was also 100x more entertaining so I encourage you all to see the movie and burn the book! ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |

Review coming soon~ ( )
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |

Review coming soon~ ( )
  ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
This book is about a boy who was flown off his plant with others like him before his planet was wiped out. He traveled to earth moving from place to place with his "garde". He was living Florida at the time when the third died and the warning burned in to his ankle. His "garde" already had a place in mind to move. A place less sunny and more remote. A town called paradise Ohio. He moves into a house a little ways from town. The house old and totally remote perfect for training his powers. He goes to school and its like any other school until she meets Sara. The imedately become boyfriend and girl friend but his other new friend figures out hes an alien. But now that doesn't matter he never wants to leave paradise and Sara. but his cover is blown after saving Sara from a party that literally went up in flames on camera. But he doesn't want to leave and goes back to Sara which is a mistake because the race of aliens that are hunting the last of his kind has closed in. But they receive help one the others like him that found him but that leads to terrible battle were his garde dies. after that him and the other like him and his other leave on the run.

The reason i like this book is that i could never put it down. this book has perfect blend of action, sci fy, and love. This book is also not extremely huge like harry potter so it wont take you long to read but it also is not to short. Another reason i like this book it gives an interesting topic to think about. Its how an alien would be on earth. Also it makes you think how you would feel is your kind was wiped out and the rest of you are being hunted. This book also has good action and not over the top action that happens threw the entire book. Plus like a lot of other books it added some love in there but this love was not like the love you find in a girls because its from a boys perspective. But i'm not saying this book is only for boys. This book can be enjoyed by anyone and is overall a good book to read. ( )
  JacobDb1 | Aug 26, 2014 |
Great read. I could hardly put this book down and can't wait too start the second one!! ( )
  Elliepoole | Aug 19, 2014 |
THE EVENTS IN THIS BOOK ARE REAL.

NAMES AND PLACES HAVE BEEN CHANGED
TO PROTECT THE LORIEN SIX,
WHO REMAIN IN HIDING.

TAKE THIS AS YOUR FIRST WARNING.

OTHER CIVILIZATIONS DO EXIST.

SOME OF THEM SEEK TO DESTROY YOU.
The door starts shaking.
I pick up a birth certificate that he has already finished.  The name written is James Hughes.  The date of birth would make me one year older.  I'd be sixteen and able to drive.  Then I bend over and look at the one he is in the process of creating. The name listed is Jobie Frey, age eighteen, a legal adult.

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

In rural Ohio, friendships and a beautiful girl prove distracting to a fifteen-year-old who has hidden on Earth for ten years waiting to develop the Legacies, or powers, he will need to rejoin the other six surviving Garde members and fight the Mogadorians who destroyed their planet, Lorien.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

Two editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061969559, 0062026240

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,987,474 books! | Top bar: Always visible