I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1)…

I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1) (edition 2010)

by Pittacus Lore

Member:MinDea
Title:I Am Number Four (Lorien Legacies, Book 1)
Authors:Pittacus Lore
Info:Harper (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 448 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore (Author)

Instead of writing a whole essay about the flaws in this book and my issues toward Pittacus Lore for writing such a disgraceful book as I had originally planned, I decided to write only one pro and one con. Hopefully, once you read the pro and the con, you can decide for yourself whether or not I Am Number Four is worthy of your time.

Pro: The plot and ideas expressed in this book are extremely clever and witty. An alien planet called Lorien was destroyed and in order to survive, nine Lorien children and their guardians were sent to planet Earth. However, these children are being persecuted by the alien race that originally destroyed their planet.
They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am Next.

Sounds pretty badass, right? It was, it was.

Con: The characters are stu-pid. John Smith (can I just point out how basic that name is?), the main lead, is Number Four, and the next one on the kill list. He's in danger so he constantly moves to different states in order to keep a low profile. But when he arrives at a small town, he not only makes a friend (his first one ever), but he also falls in love (it'd be cute if the romance wasn't so cliche and stupid). When John's guardian insisted on leaving because the race wanting to kill John was near, John, like a child, threw a tantrum, refused to leave and threatened his guardian by using telekinesis to lift him up in the air until he agreed to let John stay. THIS FIFTEEN YEAR OLD IS GOING TO GET FREAKING MURDERED AND THERE HE IS JUST ENJOYING HIS WALKS WITH HIS FIFTEEN YEAR OLD GIRLFRIEND WHO HE BELIEVES HE'S IN LOVE WITH WHEN NEWSFLASH YOU'RE FREAKING FIFTEEN AND HE'S PUTTING HER IN DANGER BY STAYING AND ALL IS RAINBOWS AND SUNSHINES WHILE A FREAKING AGGRESSIVE ALIEN RACE IS LOOKING FORWARD TO STICKING A SWORD IN HIS FREAKING STUPID CHEST LIKE WHAT THE HECK KID YOU NEED TO GO HOW DUMB CAN YOU BE.

So, yeah.
You decide: is I Am Number Four worthy of your time? Please make the right choice.
  mararina | Jul 23, 2015 |
Love this whole series. Love that they change fonts for each character. Love that the author is a character in the book. Love the disclaimer at the beginning. Just all-around brilliant. Four is not my favorite though, too typical a main character.
  mateideyr | Jul 17, 2015 |
Great start to the Lorien Legacies series. Number Four is a refugee from planet Lorien living on Earth. Unfortunately the Mogadorians who destroyed Lorien are seeking the 9 children sent to Earth in attempt to save the Lorien race. Each child has a guardian who helps protect them and hide them from the Mogadorians, for Number Four it is Henri. Henri and John Smith (aka Number Four) seek sanctuary in a small rural community called Paradise, Ohio. John makes some new friends but knows he is always on the run and will ultimately have to leave so getting close to anyone is not really an option.
Fast paced and full of action, this young adult novel lends itself to my mental list of great stories being told right now. I definitely look forward to the next novel. ( )
  jaimelee77 | Jul 7, 2015 |
I give this a very high three in the sense that is a very average book but at the same time has so many of the qualities that a great book has.

It has has a great premise and at its core, what I think, is a damn cool story. A bunch of super powered babies get sent to earth to escape from evil aliens, have to learn their powers before they are hunted down and killed and must ultimately join together to fight for their adopted planet. I mean shit what's not to like out of all that?? It's superman's origin story times nine and they all have more interesting powers. :)

This is not a complete book though. Almost from the start you know you are going to starting a longish reading journey, due to the amount of mentioned but undiscovered characters, but not enough happens to justify an entire book when most of it is just David, or Number Four, inner monologuing. In fact it is a running issue through the series that they could have combined the first two books together and the third and fourth into one, to make a more complete story.

There is also the issue of how this was written and I believe it caused a bit of controversy and even got a mention from Oprah. I believe the gist is the author ran a bit of a writing camp and got lots of ideas and got all these kids brainstorming and basically got them to come up with the ENTIRE series and then went and wrote a book and forgot to mention them. Thats one of the reasons the Author is Pitticus Lore and not an actual person. True or not?? Who cares.

This book is like popcorn. Tasty and familiar but ultimately unsatisfying. The thing about popcorn though is that by the time the opportunity to have some comes by again I'm always happy to dig in. ( )
  areadingmachine | Jul 6, 2015 |
I read this book in about 7 hours. It was so good that I had to read more and more. I devoured this book to learn more about the Lorian planet. The book was constructed so brilliantly. The premise was new and intriguing. I don't comprehend why people dislike this. It's supposedly because of a "slow start", but I'd rather be completely informed rather than being lost because I can't understand most things happening. I saw the movie before the book, and I thought the movie was amazing. BOY WAS I WRONG. The movie was less than 50% loyal to the book. It focused more on the "action" aspect, instead of dedicating itself to actually explaining more about number Four's planet and all of their customs. The only detail that made me drop a star, was because the author, Pittacus Lore, didn't fully do a good job with his characterization. His characters were somewhat clichéd. Other than that tiny detail, I really loved the book. 4.5 stars. ( )
  mariannelee_0902 | Jul 1, 2015 |

Lore, PittacusAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brender, IrmelaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kaplan, AdamNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Meer, Joost van derTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Oostendorp, WilliamTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE EVENTS IN THIS BOOK ARE REAL.

NAMES AND PLACES HAVE BEEN CHANGED
TO PROTECT THE LORIEN SIX,
WHO REMAIN IN HIDING.

TAKE THIS AS YOUR FIRST WARNING.

OTHER CIVILIZATIONS DO EXIST.

SOME OF THEM SEEK TO DESTROY YOU.
The door starts shaking.
I pick up a birth certificate that he has already finished.  The name written is James Hughes.  The date of birth would make me one year older.  I'd be sixteen and able to drive.  Then I bend over and look at the one he is in the process of creating. The name listed is Jobie Frey, age eighteen, a legal adult.

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England.
And Number Three in Kenya.
They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.

In rural Ohio, friendships and a beautiful girl prove distracting to a fifteen-year-old who has hidden on Earth for ten years waiting to develop the Legacies, or powers, he will need to rejoin the other six surviving Garde members and fight the Mogadorians who destroyed their planet, Lorien.… (more)

HarperCollins Childrens Books

2 editions of this book were published by HarperCollins Childrens Books.

Editions: 0061969559, 0062026240

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,383,013 books! | Top bar: Always visible