Room by Emma Donaghue

Title:Room
Authors:Emma Donaghue
Info:Pan MacMillan Paperback Omes (no date), Paperback
Collections:To read

Room by Emma Donoghue (2010)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user, bookwormjules)
    bookwormjules: The authors both get inside the head of the young narrator wonderfully, and make it believable.
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (Amsa1959)
    Amsa1959: The novel about Kevin is a much darker and sad story, but it it is about a special boy and his family, and it is a MUST READ novel. It is also - like Room - a novel that makes you think and reflect of our world and lives.
    A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard (mreader)
    Still Missing by Chevy Stevens (cafepithecus)
    Misery by Stephen King (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: ambos libros tienen un alto componenente psicológico, la mente humana llevada al extremo.
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (Niecierpek)
    Niecierpek: We go through a serious and heart-breaking topic (9/11 in Foer's case) through a narration by a precocious child narrator in both books.
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock (amz310783)
    My Abandonment by Peter Rock (gaialover)
    Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott (kaledrina)
    Y by Marjorie Celona (Iudita)
    Iudita: Another story about a troubled childhood, narrated by the child.
    What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: The terror of being at the mercy of an irrational, evil captor is effectively depicted in both books.
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (_Zoe_)
    Mice by Gordon Reece (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Bad things happening to mothers and their children
    Monster Love by Carol Topolski (tina1969)
    Dog Boy by Eva Hornung (PatMock)
    PatMock: Young boy raised by wild dogs in Moscow.
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: These books are completely different in style; The Mysterious Howling is a lighthearted children's book while Room is more serious and intended for adults. But if you enjoy the theme of a child with an unusual background being reintegrated into society, you may appreciate both of these books.… (more)

English (651)  Dutch (10)  Spanish (5)  German (5)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  All languages (678)
Fear, anger, relief, humor, love and hope...excellent reading. ( )
  CMiller600 | May 17, 2015 |
Room by Emma Donoghue is disturbing yet brilliant. Inspired by countless cases of children born to mothers in captivity, this book is told from the perspective of five-year-old Jack, who has lived in “Room” his entire life. But Jack isn’t alone. He lives in Room with Ma, who was kidnapped as a teen and has been held in isolation for years. It was mind boggling to imagine being confined to a room (really a backyard shed) that measures 11X11 feet.

At first, I wasn’t sure if I liked that the story is told from Jack’s point of view. But within a few chapters, I grew to love the innocent, matter-of-fact way in which he sees things. I also found it intriguing to imagine the amount of information a child would be able to soak in without outside influences or distractions and if constantly communicated with. Ma spends so much time telling Jack about things (anything and everything), so he is extremely mature for his age. Besides constantly talking to him, Ma also does her best to involve Jack in various activities. For example, they measure things, play games, exercise and read (rotating between the handful of books provided by “Old Nick”).

Approximately half of the book takes place in Room, so some of the scenes felt a bit redundant. However, I like to think that Donoghue purposely drew out the amount of time Jack and Ma spent in captivity together to stress how mind-numbing it would be for someone to be held prisoner. Maybe this wasn’t her intent, but after thinking about it that way, the repetitive scenes held new meaning for me. My heart ached a little bit more just imagining what it would be like. Day after day after day.

I’m not sure if what I’m about to say would be considered a spoiler, but if you really dislike spoilers, skip the rest of this paragraph. When Jack and Ma finally get out of Room, I wasn’t sure what to expect. A trial perhaps? Ma and Jack having to face Old Nick in court? Well, it turns out that the rest of the story is more about how Jack copes with being away from the only thing he’s ever known: Room. And let’s not forget about Ma. She has a lot of coping to do as well. Can you imagine finally being free after a decade of captivity? And can you imagine living the rest of your life with the child of your captor? You love the child, of course, but would he be a constant reminder of the time you spent locked away from the world?

If you enjoy true crime or fictional books that are inspired by horrific real-life events, then you must read this one. ( )
  KJFarnham | May 17, 2015 |
Told through the voice of a five year old boy, Jack, who has been locked in a garden shed with his mother his entire life, this novel is haunting and sincere. He had been told by his mother, who has been locked in the room for seven years, that everything on television is fake. He is unaware of the true size of the world and all that exists outside of the room. Their supplies are delivered by their captor, a man known only as “Old Nick” who visits at night to rape Jack’s mother while Jack hides in a wardrobe. Jack begins to put some of the pieces together, though, and his mother decides to tell him the truth.

One day soon after he begins to learn about the world outside, Jack and his mother hatch a plan to escape the room. Jack fakes an illness, pretends to be dead, gets rolled into a rug, and when Old Nick puts the rug with Jack in it into the back of his truck to dispose of the body, Jack jumps out the truck and runs for help. The plan works, Jack and his mother are freed, and they are placed in a psychiatric clinic for treatment.

Jack and his mother must both cope in their individual ways with life on the outside. Jack has to learn things like walking down stairs and feeling overwhelmed by the loud and busy world. Jack’s mother must cope with the trauma she experienced, her feelings of inadequacy as a mother, unwanted fame, and depression that has visited her on and off throughout her life.

After Jack’s mother overdoses on pills, Jack goes to live with his grandmother while his mother recovers. He gets stronger and more courageous each day as he learns about the world and how it works. Jack’s mother is released in a few weeks, and they move together to an apartment.

The most endearing feature of the story is Jack’s perception of the room he was locked in for five years. While his mother sees it for its horror, Jack sees it as his childhood. It was all he knew in life, and he loved it there because it was all he knew. All he needed in life was the love of his mother, and they loved each other very much. Jack was the only thing that kept his mother going. The novel ends with a visit back to the room so that Jack and his mother could have some closure with that part of their lives.

I read this book very quickly; the pace stopped me from wanting to put it down. The sweetness of Jack, the tragedy of the circumstances, and the love between Jack and his mother were captivating. Jack’s perspective on the world colored by his time in the room is unique, childish, and moving.
  Carlie | May 6, 2015 |
A very interesting book that I would never have picked up for myself, but was given to me at one time, and sat unread on my shelves for quite a while.
I was intrigued when I finally picked it up; written from the child's point of view, it took me a bit of time to figure out what's going on. I found it very poignant and thought the child's voice was spot on. It was quite heartbreaking, but never annoyingly cloy, sentimental or obviously designed to make you cry. ( )
  Hobbitlass | May 6, 2015 |
Got this from my library but as it only had a limited 2 week loan period (as its a popular book) i was very dubious that I would be able to finish it in time as I never seem to find enough time to read. However i have just finished it on the day it is due back probably because I found myself reading it at every spare moment. I know some people have said they found the narration style of the child very annoying but I found it very engaging. I must admit that I found the second part of the novel more interesting than the first part.
I found that it was very interesting the way the child saw everything in the world outside 'room' when they escape. It made me really think about how we see the world. I think that Emma Donoghue was very clever in the way she handled both the boys and the mothers reactions to the outside world, and the sense of protection that their relationship and the there time inside 'room' gave them.I must admit that right up to the end i did think that the mother may kill herself but the way the boys reactions to the outside world were written made me think about all the things that we do take for granted because they have always been there.
Not a great literary classic but very interesting all the same. ( )
  WWDG | May 6, 2015 |
Room is disturbing, thrilling, and emotionally compelling. Emma Donoghue has produced a novel that is sure to stay in the minds of readers for years to come.
added by lkernagh | editQuill & Quire, Dory Cerny (Oct 1, 2010)

This is a truly memorable novel, one that can be read through myriad lenses — psychological, sociological, political. It presents an utterly unique way to talk about love, all the while giving us a fresh, expansive eye on the world in which we live.

the book’s second half is less effective than its first. Perhaps this is inevitable given the changed circumstances of the protagonists. The walls that enclosed them also intensified their drama.

Wrenching, as befits the grim subject matter, but also tender, touching and at times unexpectedly funny.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2010)

Donoghue's great strength -- apart from her storytelling gift -- is her emotional intelligence. We get just enough information to feel uncomfortable -- and therefore, to question our assumptions about how family life ought to be; and to know that life will always be an unequal struggle.

Emma Donoghueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Volhejnová, VeronikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhang, DingqiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My Child

Such trouble I have.

And you sleep, your heart is placid;

you dream in the joyless wood;

in the night nailed in bronze,

in the blue dark you lie still and shine.

Simonides (C. 556-468 BCE), "Danae" (tr. Richmond Lattimore)
Room is for Finn & Una, my best works.
Today I'm five.
In Room I was safe and Outside is the scary.
In the world I notice persons are nearly always stressed and have no time. Even Grandma often says that, but she and Steppa don't have jobs, so I don't know how persons with jobs do the jobs and all the living as well. In Room me and Ma had time for everything. I guess the time gets spread very thin like butter all over the world, the roads and houses and playgrounds and stores, so there's only a little smear of time on each place, then everyone has to hurry on to the next bit.

The entire story told from the perspective of a 5 year old little boy. Room is his entire world. Where he was born & grew up. It's where he lives with his Ma as they learn & read & eat & sleep & play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits. Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, & fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough. not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery & a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316098337, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2010: In many ways, Jack is a typical 5-year-old. He likes to read books, watch TV, and play games with his Ma. But Jack is different in a big way--he has lived his entire life in a single room, sharing the tiny space with only his mother and an unnerving nighttime visitor known as Old Nick. For Jack, Room is the only world he knows, but for Ma, it is a prison in which she has tried to craft a normal life for her son. When their insular world suddenly expands beyond the confines of their four walls, the consequences are piercing and extraordinary. Despite its profoundly disturbing premise, Emma Donoghue's Room is rife with moments of hope and beauty, and the dogged determination to live, even in the most desolate circumstances. A stunning and original novel of survival in captivity, readers who enter Room will leave staggered, as though, like Jack, they are seeing the world for the very first time. --Lynette Mong

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:00 -0400)

Narrator Jack and his mother, who was kidnapped seven years earlier when she was a 19-year-old college student, celebrate his fifth birthday. They live in a tiny, 11-foot-square soundproofed cell in a converted shed in the kidnapper's yard. The sociopath, whom Jack has dubbed Old Nick, visits at night, grudgingly doling out food and supplies. But Ma, as Jack calls her, proves to be resilient and resourceful--and attempts a nail-biting escape.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,254,059 books! | Top bar: Always visible