Room by Emma Donaghue

Title:Room
Authors:Emma Donaghue
Info:Pan MacMillan Paperback Omes (no date), Paperback
Collections:To read

Room by Emma Donoghue (2010)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user, bookwormjules)
    bookwormjules: The authors both get inside the head of the young narrator wonderfully, and make it believable.
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (Amsa1959)
    Amsa1959: The novel about Kevin is a much darker and sad story, but it it is about a special boy and his family, and it is a MUST READ novel. It is also - like Room - a novel that makes you think and reflect of our world and lives.
    A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard (mreader)
    Still Missing by Chevy Stevens (cafepithecus)
    Misery by Stephen King (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: ambos libros tienen un alto componenente psicológico, la mente humana llevada al extremo.
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (Niecierpek)
    Niecierpek: We go through a serious and heart-breaking topic (9/11 in Foer's case) through a narration by a precocious child narrator in both books.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock (amz310783)
    My Abandonment by Peter Rock (gaialover)
    Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott (kaledrina)
    Dog Boy by Eva Hornung (PatMock)
    PatMock: Young boy raised by wild dogs in Moscow.
    What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: The terror of being at the mercy of an irrational, evil captor is effectively depicted in both books.
    Descent by Tim Johnston (KatyBee)
    Y by Marjorie Celona (Iudita)
    Iudita: Another story about a troubled childhood, narrated by the child.
    Mice by Gordon Reece (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Bad things happening to mothers and their children
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (_Zoe_)
    Monster Love by Carol Topolski (tina1969)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: These books are completely different in style; The Mysterious Howling is a lighthearted children's book while Room is more serious and intended for adults. But if you enjoy the theme of a child with an unusual background being reintegrated into society, you may appreciate both of these books.… (more)

English (797)  Dutch (10)  Spanish (5)  German (5)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  All (824)
Room is both fascinating and annoying at the same time. The fact that the narrator is a five year old boy gives a unique perspective that I thoroughly enjoyed, but it also annoyed the living daylights out of me. For this reason I loved it. I love that I developed conflicting emotions that changed and grew as time progressed. I also developed strong opinions about each character. Of course my opinions are skewed by the observations of a 5 year old, but thats okay. The only characters I found likable are Steppa, Officer Oh, and Ma (first half of the book only). All the other characters, in my opinion, were egocentric and lacked compassion for others (yes, including Jack). Even though I wanted to shake Jack most of the time, his selfishness could be forgiven because, well, he is 5. Ma’s personality took a turn for the worst right after the climax of the story. Given what she went through, I’m not sure I can fault her for that either. As far as all the others I just kept thinking “Really? But Really?” I believe showing those personality flaws made the characters more real to me as a reader, and I love to hate characters. It shows me that the author really thought out the character development. Good job Donoghue! Thanks for annoying and entertaining me for the past four days. ( )
  Derby_Lane | May 24, 2017 |
A book a out a kidnapped girl, who ha to live in a room for years and has to give birth to her boy there. We see the story through the eyes of the five years boy who never seen the 'outside' before so after their escape he has to cope with the whole world. The writer sometimes seems to be struggling with this unique viewpoint but in a whole it's a great and thought provoking book. ( )
  TheCrow2 | May 16, 2017 |
Lasted a few pages- little boy trapped in a room. made into a film and highly regarded but could not face the impoverished language start up
  MarilynKinnon | May 7, 2017 |
Pieces of this book will continue to haunt me. Everytime my daughter says "no way Jose" or when I see a home improvement show on tv. I don't think it is because the story is probable- it is based on a true story, but because I know people are suffering in the hands of cruel people all the time. Majority of them are innocent kids. The way this child was throughout the book- happy with the little space he has, happy to be with mom, happy to play with cereal boxes. The minimalist ways of kids... How people can become oblivious to their innocence? How can they hurt them? I will never understand. ( )
  soontobefree | May 1, 2017 |
Jack has just turned five. He lives with Ma in Room. When Old Nick visits Ma, jack has to hide in Wardrobe. Sometimes Old Nick brings Sundaytreat (once even chocolate), but the food, clothes and other things avalable to Jack and Ma are very limited. Everyone and everything else is Outside and are not real.

In the first part of the book, Jack describes his day-to-day life with Ma in Room. Despite the lack of resources, Ma does a remarkable job of helping Jack grow intellectually, emotionally and physically, with inventive games and stories.

In the second part of the book, Jack relates what it is like to suddenly experience Outside--and to discover that it is real and that there are other people. He's never seen a dog, felt rain, walked up or down stairs--everything is new.

The voice of Jack, as narrator, felt remarkably real to me, and the story was a page turner. I wonder if there will be a sequel--Jack 10 years later. ( )
  arubabookwoman | Apr 21, 2017 |
Room is disturbing, thrilling, and emotionally compelling. Emma Donoghue has produced a novel that is sure to stay in the minds of readers for years to come.
added by lkernagh | editQuill & Quire, Dory Cerny (Oct 1, 2010)

This is a truly memorable novel, one that can be read through myriad lenses — psychological, sociological, political. It presents an utterly unique way to talk about love, all the while giving us a fresh, expansive eye on the world in which we live.

the book’s second half is less effective than its first. Perhaps this is inevitable given the changed circumstances of the protagonists. The walls that enclosed them also intensified their drama.

Wrenching, as befits the grim subject matter, but also tender, touching and at times unexpectedly funny.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2010)

Donoghue's great strength -- apart from her storytelling gift -- is her emotional intelligence. We get just enough information to feel uncomfortable -- and therefore, to question our assumptions about how family life ought to be; and to know that life will always be an unequal struggle.

Donoghue, Emmaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zhang, DingqiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

My Child

Such trouble I have.

And you sleep, your heart is placid;

you dream in the joyless wood;

in the night nailed in bronze,

in the blue dark you lie still and shine.

Simonides (C. 556-468 BCE), "Danae" (tr. Richmond Lattimore)
Room is for Finn & Una, my best works.
Today I'm five.
In Room I was safe and Outside is the scary.
In the world I notice persons are nearly always stressed and have no time. Even Grandma often says that, but she and Steppa don't have jobs, so I don't know how persons with jobs do the jobs and all the living as well. In Room me and Ma had time for everything. I guess the time gets spread very thin like butter all over the world, the roads and houses and playgrounds and stores, so there's only a little smear of time on each place, then everyone has to hurry on to the next bit.

The entire story told from the perspective of a 5 year old little boy. Room is his entire world. Where he was born & grew up. It's where he lives with his Ma as they learn & read & eat & sleep & play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits. Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, & fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough. not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery & a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316098337, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2010: In many ways, Jack is a typical 5-year-old. He likes to read books, watch TV, and play games with his Ma. But Jack is different in a big way--he has lived his entire life in a single room, sharing the tiny space with only his mother and an unnerving nighttime visitor known as Old Nick. For Jack, Room is the only world he knows, but for Ma, it is a prison in which she has tried to craft a normal life for her son. When their insular world suddenly expands beyond the confines of their four walls, the consequences are piercing and extraordinary. Despite its profoundly disturbing premise, Emma Donoghue's Room is rife with moments of hope and beauty, and the dogged determination to live, even in the most desolate circumstances. A stunning and original novel of survival in captivity, readers who enter Room will leave staggered, as though, like Jack, they are seeing the world for the very first time. --Lynette Mong

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:24 -0400)

Narrator Jack and his mother, who was kidnapped seven years earlier when she was a 19-year-old college student, celebrate his fifth birthday. They live in a tiny, 11-foot-square soundproofed cell in a converted shed in the kidnapper's yard. The sociopath, whom Jack has dubbed Old Nick, visits at night, grudgingly doling out food and supplies. But Ma, as Jack calls her, proves to be resilient and resourceful--and attempts a nail-biting escape.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,507,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible