Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue

Room: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Emma Donoghue

11,971900367 (4.03)1 / 960
Narrator Jack and his mother, who was kidnapped seven years earlier when she was a 19-year-old college student, celebrate his fifth birthday. They live in a tiny, 11-foot-square soundproofed cell in a converted shed in the kidnapper's yard. The sociopath, whom Jack has dubbed Old Nick, visits at night, grudgingly doling out food and supplies. But Ma, as Jack calls her, proves to be resilient and resourceful--and attempts a nail-biting escape.… (more)
Member:jetblack615
Title:Room: A Novel
Authors:Emma Donoghue
Info:Back Bay Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Tags:50 Book Challenge 2012

Room by Emma Donoghue (2010)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (Amsa1959)
    Amsa1959: The novel about Kevin is a much darker and sad story, but it it is about a special boy and his family, and it is a MUST READ novel. It is also - like Room - a novel that makes you think and reflect of our world and lives.
    A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard (mreader)
    Still Missing by Chevy Stevens (cafepithecus)
    Misery by Stephen King (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: ambos libros tienen un alto componenente psicológico, la mente humana llevada al extremo.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (Niecierpek)
    Niecierpek: We go through a serious and heart-breaking topic (9/11 in Foer's case) through a narration by a precocious child narrator in both books.
    My Abandonment by Peter Rock (gaialover)
    Me and Emma by Elizabeth Flock (amz310783)
    Y by Marjorie Celona (Iudita)
    Iudita: Another story about a troubled childhood, narrated by the child.
    Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott (kaledrina)
    Dog Boy by Eva Hornung (PatMock)
    PatMock: Young boy raised by wild dogs in Moscow.
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (_Zoe_)
    Mice by Gordon Reece (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Bad things happening to mothers and their children
    Monster Love by Carol Topolski (tina1969)
    Descent by Tim Johnston (KatyBee)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: These books are completely different in style; The Mysterious Howling is a lighthearted children's book while Room is more serious and intended for adults. But if you enjoy the theme of a child with an unusual background being reintegrated into society, you may appreciate both of these books.… (more)
    What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: The terror of being at the mercy of an irrational, evil captor is effectively depicted in both books.

English (876)  Dutch (8)  German (5)  Spanish (4)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  All languages (900)
I know a lot of people who are giving this great reviews so I pushed through and read the whole thing. Urgh. It was just annoying. The whole thing is written from a 5 year old's point of view. I think I've heard bigger words used on Daniel Tiger with my nieces. I did not like this. ( )
  rickycatto | Sep 9, 2020 |
Wow...I could not put down this book despite my inital reluctance to read it (I tend to avoid novels involving children in disturbing situations that are close in age to my own kids). The narrator is Jack, a five year-old boy who lives in a 11 x 11 room with his mother, Ma. He has never been outside of Room. Room is remarkable, emotional, thrilling and unlike any other novel I've read. Some reviews claim the novel is filled with holes and have criticized the believability of Jack's language, thoughts, etc. As a mom of a 5 year-old boy, I found Jack's voice and thoughts to be authentic. Also, a story told from a five year-old's perspective should have imperfections...small children just don't process things like adults or even an older child. Room is thought-provoking and would make an excellent book club selection. ( )
  baruthcook | Aug 26, 2020 |
A positive book despite the grim subject matter, that does an excellent job of questioning how we live in Outside, the real world, and out attitudes to waste, space and community. Simple language throughout without being condescending - great book. ( )
  ephemeral_future | Aug 20, 2020 |
This one of the more unique books I've read in a long time. In a good way. I actually landed on it when I forgot to return my book club monthly features decline and at first I was grumbling because it would cost me as much to send it back as it would to keep it. I am so glad I did. I didn't know anything about the book as I opened the cover but from the first few sentences, I was hooked.

Donoghue creates a unique voice and world as she tells the story of a little boy and his mother imprisoned in a room by a man who kidnapped the mother years earlier. I don't want to say more and give away plot elements because this is one of those books you'll stay up late to see what happens next.

I highly recommend you snag a copy and get reading! ( )
  jjpseattle | Aug 2, 2020 |
The stand-out factor in Room for me was the voice Donoghue created for Jack. It takes a few pages to get used to, but it's so interesting and unique once you do. I was totally on board for the book itself for the first half, but after they leave the room I found it a little less engaging. I think it's partially because the distance you feel from the characters works in the confines of the first half, but becomes a little alienating in the second. Still, it was an engrossing read all the way through. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Room is disturbing, thrilling, and emotionally compelling. Emma Donoghue has produced a novel that is sure to stay in the minds of readers for years to come.
added by lkernagh | editQuill & Quire, Dory Cerny (Oct 1, 2010)

This is a truly memorable novel, one that can be read through myriad lenses — psychological, sociological, political. It presents an utterly unique way to talk about love, all the while giving us a fresh, expansive eye on the world in which we live.

the book’s second half is less effective than its first. Perhaps this is inevitable given the changed circumstances of the protagonists. The walls that enclosed them also intensified their drama.

Wrenching, as befits the grim subject matter, but also tender, touching and at times unexpectedly funny.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2010)

Donoghue's great strength -- apart from her storytelling gift -- is her emotional intelligence. We get just enough information to feel uncomfortable -- and therefore, to question our assumptions about how family life ought to be; and to know that life will always be an unequal struggle.

Donoghue, Emmaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zhang, DingqiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

My Child

Such trouble I have.

And you sleep, your heart is placid;

you dream in the joyless wood;

in the night nailed in bronze,

in the blue dark you lie still and shine.

Simonides (C. 556-468 BCE), "Danae" (tr. Richmond Lattimore)
Room is for Finn & Una, my best works.
Today I'm five.
In Room I was safe and Outside is the scary.
In the world I notice persons are nearly always stressed and have no time. Even Grandma often says that, but she and Steppa don't have jobs, so I don't know how persons with jobs do the jobs and all the living as well. In Room me and Ma had time for everything. I guess the time gets spread very thin like butter all over the world, the roads and houses and playgrounds and stores, so there's only a little smear of time on each place, then everyone has to hurry on to the next bit.

The entire story is told from the perspective of a 5 year old little boy. Room is his entire world. Where he was born and grew up. It's where he lives with his Ma as they learn & read & eat & sleep & play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in Wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits. Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough. not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,713,854 books! | Top bar: Always visible