Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue

Room: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Emma Donoghue

10,755877379 (4.04)1 / 931
Member:Mikazuki
Title:Room: A Novel
Authors:Emma Donoghue
Info:Back Bay Books (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 352 pages
Collections:Read but unowned

Room by Emma Donoghue (2010)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (Amsa1959)
    Amsa1959: The novel about Kevin is a much darker and sad story, but it it is about a special boy and his family, and it is a MUST READ novel. It is also - like Room - a novel that makes you think and reflect of our world and lives.
    A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard (mreader)
    Misery by Stephen King (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: ambos libros tienen un alto componenente psicológico, la mente humana llevada al extremo.
    Still Missing by Chevy Stevens (cafepithecus)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (Niecierpek)
    Niecierpek: We go through a serious and heart-breaking topic (9/11 in Foer's case) through a narration by a precocious child narrator in both books.
    Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock (amz310783)
    My Abandonment by Peter Rock (gaialover)
    Y by Marjorie Celona (Iudita)
    Iudita: Another story about a troubled childhood, narrated by the child.
    The Child Finder by Rene Denfeld (Anonymous user)
    Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott (kaledrina)
    Descent by Tim Johnston (KatyBee)
    Dog Boy by Eva Hornung (PatMock)
    PatMock: Young boy raised by wild dogs in Moscow.
    What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: The terror of being at the mercy of an irrational, evil captor is effectively depicted in both books.
    Mice by Gordon Reece (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Bad things happening to mothers and their children
    Monster Love by Carol Topolski (tina1969)
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (_Zoe_)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: These books are completely different in style; The Mysterious Howling is a lighthearted children's book while Room is more serious and intended for adults. But if you enjoy the theme of a child with an unusual background being reintegrated into society, you may appreciate both of these books.… (more)

English (852)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (5)  German (5)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  All languages (877)
I can see why this book is generating so much buzz. It is the story of a five year-old boy, born to a woman held in captivity within the 11 x 11 walls of "Room" since age 19. The boy, Jack, has never left Room in his life. He doesn't even know to question that a world exists beyond its walls. His Ma has created a fun, intricate world for Jack with what she has to give, but when they are sprung from captivity, even she questions what she could have done differently. This is told in Jack's voice, and it is unforgettable. ( )
  LMJenkins | Nov 28, 2018 |
This is a very interesting story. I defintley couldn't put it down, and while it isnt totally relatable it is refreshing to see creative authors coming up with fresh story lines that captivate readers. Also, Im a psych major so it was intriguing from that perspective as well. I recomend this book, it is defintley worth a shot. It may not change your life but you will defintley get something out of it. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
Donoghue sets herself the challenge of writing a book for adults through the voice of a five year old. And what Jack describes is the rapid realisation that life is not constrained to the tiny room in which he has been brought up by his Ma, or indeed to his Ma - that outside is real and full of experiences, many of them not very pleasant. Jack goes through in a couple of weeks what most of us go through over years, and with few of the normal protections. If the book causes to look afresh at some aspects of modern life, it also causes us to reflect on the adaptability and resilience of the human spirit, sometimes in the face of the most challenging circumstances. Well written and thought provoking but there are a few shaky moments in capturing the five year old voice and also Donoghue holds back from a deeper examination that the theme invites. 27 October 2018 ( )
  alanca | Oct 31, 2018 |
25% completed
  ktshpd | Oct 22, 2018 |
A thorough novel on suspense, independence and perseverance. Cleverly narrated through the 5-year-old son, we follow his journey and admire his ability to help his mother escape her mental prison as well as her physical one. Redemptive and binding, this novel is a quick read that will make you reconsider childhood and the social media presence on our lives. ( )
  Meghanista | Oct 20, 2018 |
Room is disturbing, thrilling, and emotionally compelling. Emma Donoghue has produced a novel that is sure to stay in the minds of readers for years to come.
added by lkernagh | editQuill & Quire, Dory Cerny (Oct 1, 2010)

This is a truly memorable novel, one that can be read through myriad lenses — psychological, sociological, political. It presents an utterly unique way to talk about love, all the while giving us a fresh, expansive eye on the world in which we live.

the book’s second half is less effective than its first. Perhaps this is inevitable given the changed circumstances of the protagonists. The walls that enclosed them also intensified their drama.

Wrenching, as befits the grim subject matter, but also tender, touching and at times unexpectedly funny.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2010)

Donoghue's great strength -- apart from her storytelling gift -- is her emotional intelligence. We get just enough information to feel uncomfortable -- and therefore, to question our assumptions about how family life ought to be; and to know that life will always be an unequal struggle.

Donoghue, Emmaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zhang, DingqiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

My Child

Such trouble I have.

And you sleep, your heart is placid;

you dream in the joyless wood;

in the night nailed in bronze,

in the blue dark you lie still and shine.

Simonides (C. 556-468 BCE), "Danae" (tr. Richmond Lattimore)
Room is for Finn & Una, my best works.
Today I'm five.
In Room I was safe and Outside is the scary.
In the world I notice persons are nearly always stressed and have no time. Even Grandma often says that, but she and Steppa don't have jobs, so I don't know how persons with jobs do the jobs and all the living as well. In Room me and Ma had time for everything. I guess the time gets spread very thin like butter all over the world, the roads and houses and playgrounds and stores, so there's only a little smear of time on each place, then everyone has to hurry on to the next bit.

The entire story is told from the perspective of a 5 year old little boy. Room is his entire world. Where he was born and grew up. It's where he lives with his Ma as they learn & read & eat & sleep & play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in Wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits. Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough. not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316098337, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2010: In many ways, Jack is a typical 5-year-old. He likes to read books, watch TV, and play games with his Ma. But Jack is different in a big way--he has lived his entire life in a single room, sharing the tiny space with only his mother and an unnerving nighttime visitor known as Old Nick. For Jack, Room is the only world he knows, but for Ma, it is a prison in which she has tried to craft a normal life for her son. When their insular world suddenly expands beyond the confines of their four walls, the consequences are piercing and extraordinary. Despite its profoundly disturbing premise, Emma Donoghue's Room is rife with moments of hope and beauty, and the dogged determination to live, even in the most desolate circumstances. A stunning and original novel of survival in captivity, readers who enter Room will leave staggered, as though, like Jack, they are seeing the world for the very first time. --Lynette Mong

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:24 -0400)

Narrator Jack and his mother, who was kidnapped seven years earlier when she was a 19-year-old college student, celebrate his fifth birthday. They live in a tiny, 11-foot-square soundproofed cell in a converted shed in the kidnapper's yard. The sociopath, whom Jack has dubbed Old Nick, visits at night, grudgingly doling out food and supplies. But Ma, as Jack calls her, proves to be resilient and resourceful--and attempts a nail-biting escape.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,799,303 books! | Top bar: Always visible