Room : a novel by Emma Donoghue

Room : a novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Emma Donoghue

8,004669403 (4.06)1 / 819
Member:lejonet
Title:Room : a novel
Authors:Emma Donoghue
Info:London : Picador, 2011.
Collections:Wishlist

Room by Emma Donoghue (2010)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user, bookwormjules)
    bookwormjules: The authors both get inside the head of the young narrator wonderfully, and make it believable.
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (Amsa1959)
    Amsa1959: The novel about Kevin is a much darker and sad story, but it it is about a special boy and his family, and it is a MUST READ novel. It is also - like Room - a novel that makes you think and reflect of our world and lives.
    A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard (mreader)
    Still Missing by Chevy Stevens (cafepithecus)
    Misery by Stephen King (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: ambos libros tienen un alto componenente psicológico, la mente humana llevada al extremo.
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (Niecierpek)
    Niecierpek: We go through a serious and heart-breaking topic (9/11 in Foer's case) through a narration by a precocious child narrator in both books.
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock (amz310783)
    My Abandonment by Peter Rock (gaialover)
    Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott (kaledrina)
    Y by Marjorie Celona (Iudita)
    Iudita: Another story about a troubled childhood, narrated by the child.
    What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: The terror of being at the mercy of an irrational, evil captor is effectively depicted in both books.
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (_Zoe_)
    Mice by Gordon Reece (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Bad things happening to mothers and their children
    Monster Love by Carol Topolski (tina1969)
    Dog Boy by Eva Hornung (PatMock)
    PatMock: Young boy raised by wild dogs in Moscow.
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: These books are completely different in style; The Mysterious Howling is a lighthearted children's book while Room is more serious and intended for adults. But if you enjoy the theme of a child with an unusual background being reintegrated into society, you may appreciate both of these books.… (more)

English (642)  Dutch (10)  Spanish (5)  German (4)  Swedish (2)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  French (1)  All languages (668)
The story of the abduction and imprisonment of a young college student, told from the point of view of the 5 year old child who has been born as a result of these crimes. Although Jack has a precocious vocabulary, his syntax is quirky and his sensory experience severely limited, resulting in a narrative which can be challenging to follow at times. I was reminded of [b:The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time|1618|The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time |Mark Haddon|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1255690510s/1618.jpg|4259809] by Mark Haddon, a novel told from the point of view of an autistic teenager (if you liked that, you will probably like this). I had a bit of trouble getting into this book, but after the first chapter or so, I didn't want to put it down. The imagery is disturbing and vivid, yet the horrifying circumstances are filtered through the mind of Jack, who is incapable of recognizing that the existence he and his mother share is aberrant and anomalous. Most thought provoking. ( )
  LizHD | Mar 25, 2015 |
I admit that getting through the beginning of this book was slow going because it's so different from anything I've ever read. But once I figured out the scenario (which was less than 20 pages), I was sucked in. I read it in 3 sittings I think and thoroughly enjoyed it. The author,makes us feel the anger and confusion of a 5 year old- how crazy is that? It's an interesting point of view that I am glad I continued on with. I felt empathy for every character involved - with the exception of one. Great read. ( )
  JenBurge | Mar 20, 2015 |
Listened to this book rather than read this and was completely absorbed! A fantastic book, esp as it's from the boy's point of view, making this terrifying experience less traumatic because of his positive outlook. The author does not downplay the seriousness of the kidnapping and the years of confinement, but makes you understand how a person's experience can be significantly different if that's the only thing he knows. Whole-heartedly recommend this to everyone. ( )
  olongbourn | Mar 1, 2015 |
This is the story of Jack and his ma. For all of his life he has known only Room. It is his world, what is in the room is real, everything else is just ‘on TV’ and outside the room is outer space. At night he is shut up in Wardrobe in case Old Nick visits. Room is his home, but to Ma it is a prison. She’s been a prisoner there for 7 years and although she has made a life for Jack and protected him, she knows they must escape in order to survive.

This is not just a story about abduction and imprisonment. It is about family relationships, personal strength, survival and adjustment. Written as if Jack were telling the tale, how he went from where he knew everything to where everything was new. There were surprises every day and it is interesting seeing them as a five year old would.

At first I was very enthused and read through about the first half rather quickly, and then it seemed to get bogged down. The middle part seemed rather contrived and predictable. Despite this the book does not drag on I was wondering how it was going to end, seeing as how Jack and Ma were in a new home, the ending was very nicely done.

I gave this book 2 stars because although I didn’t love it, it was a rather enjoyable read, just not a great read. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
I absolutely loved this story! While it took a bi to adjust to a five year old telling the story, it flew by once I did. It both heartbreaking and heartwarming. Everyone needs to read it! ( )
  kelsey.hintzman | Feb 10, 2015 |
Room is disturbing, thrilling, and emotionally compelling. Emma Donoghue has produced a novel that is sure to stay in the minds of readers for years to come.
added by lkernagh | editQuill & Quire, Dory Cerny (Oct 1, 2010)

This is a truly memorable novel, one that can be read through myriad lenses — psychological, sociological, political. It presents an utterly unique way to talk about love, all the while giving us a fresh, expansive eye on the world in which we live.

the book’s second half is less effective than its first. Perhaps this is inevitable given the changed circumstances of the protagonists. The walls that enclosed them also intensified their drama.

Wrenching, as befits the grim subject matter, but also tender, touching and at times unexpectedly funny.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2010)

Donoghue's great strength -- apart from her storytelling gift -- is her emotional intelligence. We get just enough information to feel uncomfortable -- and therefore, to question our assumptions about how family life ought to be; and to know that life will always be an unequal struggle.

Emma Donoghueprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Volhejnová, VeronikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhang, DingqiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My Child

Such trouble I have.

And you sleep, your heart is placid;

you dream in the joyless wood;

in the night nailed in bronze,

in the blue dark you lie still and shine.

Simonides (C. 556-468 BCE), "Danae" (tr. Richmond Lattimore)
Room is for Finn & Una, my best works.
Today I'm five.
In Room I was safe and Outside is the scary.
In the world I notice persons are nearly always stressed and have no time. Even Grandma often says that, but she and Steppa don't have jobs, so I don't know how persons with jobs do the jobs and all the living as well. In Room me and Ma had time for everything. I guess the time gets spread very thin like butter all over the world, the roads and houses and playgrounds and stores, so there's only a little smear of time on each place, then everyone has to hurry on to the next bit.

The entire story told from the perspective of a 5 year old little boy. Room is his entire world. Where he was born & grew up. It's where he lives with his Ma as they learn & read & eat & sleep & play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits. Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, & fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough. not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery & a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316098337, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2010: In many ways, Jack is a typical 5-year-old. He likes to read books, watch TV, and play games with his Ma. But Jack is different in a big way--he has lived his entire life in a single room, sharing the tiny space with only his mother and an unnerving nighttime visitor known as Old Nick. For Jack, Room is the only world he knows, but for Ma, it is a prison in which she has tried to craft a normal life for her son. When their insular world suddenly expands beyond the confines of their four walls, the consequences are piercing and extraordinary. Despite its profoundly disturbing premise, Emma Donoghue's Room is rife with moments of hope and beauty, and the dogged determination to live, even in the most desolate circumstances. A stunning and original novel of survival in captivity, readers who enter Room will leave staggered, as though, like Jack, they are seeing the world for the very first time. --Lynette Mong

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:31:00 -0400)

Narrator Jack and his mother, who was kidnapped seven years earlier when she was a 19-year-old college student, celebrate his fifth birthday. They live in a tiny, 11-foot-square soundproofed cell in a converted shed in the kidnapper's yard. The sociopath, whom Jack has dubbed Old Nick, visits at night, grudgingly doling out food and supplies. But Ma, as Jack calls her, proves to be resilient and resourceful--and attempts a nail-biting escape.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,266,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible