Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue

Room: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Emma Donoghue

10,912884380 (4.04)1 / 937
Member:PAKelley
Title:Room: A Novel
Authors:Emma Donoghue
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Favorites
Rating:*****

Room by Emma Donoghue (2010)

Recently added byrena75, bnil, marcelesta7, NinaLubbren, private library, Bangsi, asxz, ghsmediacenter
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user)
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (Amsa1959)
    Amsa1959: The novel about Kevin is a much darker and sad story, but it it is about a special boy and his family, and it is a MUST READ novel. It is also - like Room - a novel that makes you think and reflect of our world and lives.
    A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard (mreader)
    Misery by Stephen King (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: ambos libros tienen un alto componenente psicológico, la mente humana llevada al extremo.
    Still Missing by Chevy Stevens (cafepithecus)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (Niecierpek)
    Niecierpek: We go through a serious and heart-breaking topic (9/11 in Foer's case) through a narration by a precocious child narrator in both books.
    Me and Emma by Elizabeth Flock (amz310783)
    My Abandonment by Peter Rock (gaialover)
    Y by Marjorie Celona (Iudita)
    Iudita: Another story about a troubled childhood, narrated by the child.
    The Child Finder by Rene Denfeld (Anonymous user)
    Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott (kaledrina)
    Descent by Tim Johnston (KatyBee)
    Dog Boy by Eva Hornung (PatMock)
    PatMock: Young boy raised by wild dogs in Moscow.
    What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: The terror of being at the mercy of an irrational, evil captor is effectively depicted in both books.
    Mice by Gordon Reece (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Bad things happening to mothers and their children
    Monster Love by Carol Topolski (tina1969)
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (_Zoe_)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: These books are completely different in style; The Mysterious Howling is a lighthearted children's book while Room is more serious and intended for adults. But if you enjoy the theme of a child with an unusual background being reintegrated into society, you may appreciate both of these books.… (more)

English (857)  Dutch (8)  Spanish (5)  German (5)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  All languages (882)
How is it that I hadn't read this book yet? It was amazing, made even more so by my 6 months of experience as a mother. ( )
  Wordbrarian | Mar 5, 2019 |
Listened to this on audio book. Don't think I could have gotten through the book is I had to read it.
Audio was great in the way they used different voices for the characters. It moved slow with so much description by Jack. I persevered and finished it. The story of a young woman being abducted is very common. The overall difference of this book compared to others is the broader story of how she and her child cope with escaping and how to live in the world again in the case of Jack how he copes with being in the world for the first time. ( )
  greergreer | Mar 1, 2019 |
Room is a goodconcept, brilliantly written (and the audiobook is brilliantly voiced).

You know the premise - 5yo narrator Jack describes his world, Room, where his Ma has been imprisoned for seven years and where Jack was born. Perhaps like me, you didn't know if you wanted to immerse yourself into this dark story. But the choice of narrator brings a sense of wonder to what could be a much more horrifying world. Jack is one of those characters you love, root for and want to hear from.

This one will stay with me a long time, not hauntingly so, but because of the beauty of its execution. Just the complexity of the world outside Room, where life contains no happily-ever-after, is well worth the investment.

As a bonus, the audiobook is incredible. It's my favorite audiobook ever. It's well voiced, well paced, and well staged.

patl | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is a book that I had started twice and had not finished. I had a hard time getting beyond the childish talk in the beginning. Describing what he and his mother did each day in "Room" did not grab me at first. I was then challenged by a friend on Goodreads to read this book and discuss it so I tried one more time. This time, I gave it a chance and I am glad I did. Once I got beyond the first part of the book I was hooked. It really is a dark, sad tale that has a somewhat happy ending. How does a person live through the horror that "Ma" lived through, escape with the help of her 5 year old son Jack, only to try and kill herself once they are free? It really shows the aftermath of being rescued when someone has been held prisoner for years and put through a horrendous existence. Jack did not know any other life than "Room". Even though he hated Old Nick, he wanted to go back to Room because he felt safe there. They finally get closure and I will wonder what became of them after the book finished. It is a book whose characters keep you thinking about them long after you finish. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Feb 5, 2019 |
Jack is an innocent - so refreshing to hear his voice learning about "Outside" and his love for Ma. ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Room is disturbing, thrilling, and emotionally compelling. Emma Donoghue has produced a novel that is sure to stay in the minds of readers for years to come.
added by lkernagh | editQuill & Quire, Dory Cerny (Oct 1, 2010)

This is a truly memorable novel, one that can be read through myriad lenses — psychological, sociological, political. It presents an utterly unique way to talk about love, all the while giving us a fresh, expansive eye on the world in which we live.

the book’s second half is less effective than its first. Perhaps this is inevitable given the changed circumstances of the protagonists. The walls that enclosed them also intensified their drama.

Wrenching, as befits the grim subject matter, but also tender, touching and at times unexpectedly funny.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2010)

Donoghue's great strength -- apart from her storytelling gift -- is her emotional intelligence. We get just enough information to feel uncomfortable -- and therefore, to question our assumptions about how family life ought to be; and to know that life will always be an unequal struggle.

Donoghue, Emmaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zhang, DingqiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

My Child

Such trouble I have.

And you sleep, your heart is placid;

you dream in the joyless wood;

in the night nailed in bronze,

in the blue dark you lie still and shine.

Simonides (C. 556-468 BCE), "Danae" (tr. Richmond Lattimore)
Room is for Finn & Una, my best works.
Today I'm five.
In Room I was safe and Outside is the scary.
In the world I notice persons are nearly always stressed and have no time. Even Grandma often says that, but she and Steppa don't have jobs, so I don't know how persons with jobs do the jobs and all the living as well. In Room me and Ma had time for everything. I guess the time gets spread very thin like butter all over the world, the roads and houses and playgrounds and stores, so there's only a little smear of time on each place, then everyone has to hurry on to the next bit.

The entire story is told from the perspective of a 5 year old little boy. Room is his entire world. Where he was born and grew up. It's where he lives with his Ma as they learn & read & eat & sleep & play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in Wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits. Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, and fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough. not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery and a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316098337, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2010: In many ways, Jack is a typical 5-year-old. He likes to read books, watch TV, and play games with his Ma. But Jack is different in a big way--he has lived his entire life in a single room, sharing the tiny space with only his mother and an unnerving nighttime visitor known as Old Nick. For Jack, Room is the only world he knows, but for Ma, it is a prison in which she has tried to craft a normal life for her son. When their insular world suddenly expands beyond the confines of their four walls, the consequences are piercing and extraordinary. Despite its profoundly disturbing premise, Emma Donoghue's Room is rife with moments of hope and beauty, and the dogged determination to live, even in the most desolate circumstances. A stunning and original novel of survival in captivity, readers who enter Room will leave staggered, as though, like Jack, they are seeing the world for the very first time. --Lynette Mong

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:24 -0400)

It's Jack's birthday and he's excited about turning five. Jack lives with his Ma in Room, which has a locked door and a skylight, and measures 11 feet by 11 feet. He loves watching TV but he knows that nothing he sees on screen is truly real. Until the day Ma admits that there's a world outside.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,323,434 books! | Top bar: Always visible